Perennial All-Star

Re: Former Cardinals Watch

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Glad he's alright.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Russell Branyan, domestic abuser and stalker.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/crime-tracker ... on-county/

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Guest: Who is the most underrated starting pitcher in baseball right now?

Craig Edwards: Lance Lynn.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Pitcher Lindy McDaniel dies.

Not bad for a guy I don't remember at all:
[SHOW]

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
November 16 20, 7:17 pm

[SHOW]

He was one of the best relievers in the game when I began following baseball. He was a Yankee when I first heard of him.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

sighyoung wrote:
November 16 20, 7:29 pm
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
November 16 20, 7:17 pm

[SHOW]

He was one of the best relievers in the game when I began following baseball. He was a Yankee when I first heard of him.
He lived a couple of blocks from my first childhood home. I remember riding our bikes past his house hoping for a glimpse (and yes we had cards in the spokes of our tires).

He was pretty good in his day. Sigh, you’re probably thinking of 1970 or so. From wiki:
McDaniel considered his top overall year as 1960 with the St. Louis Cardinals, when he logged a 12–2 mark in relief with 22 saves and an ERA of 1.29 while being named (for the only time in his career) to the National League All-Star team. He earned Fireman of the Year honors, while finishing third for the Cy Young Award and fifth in MVP voting, both his highest placings. He ranked his next-best year as 1970 with the Yankees, when he was 9–5 with a career high 29 saves and 2.01 ERA, followed by the 1963 season when he was 13–7 with 21 saves and a 2.86 ERA[4].
McDaniel won Fireman of the Year honors in 1960 and 1963. He also led[clarification needed] the National League in relief pitching in 1959, but that was the year before the first Fireman of the Year award was presented. With nine saves and a 0.74 ERA, McDaniel was named the Player of the Month for June 1960.[5]
McDaniel held the MLB record for most batters faced in the eighth inning over his career.[6] He allowed four walk-off grand slams during his career, more than any other major league pitcher on record.[7]

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Radbird wrote:
November 17 20, 9:57 am

He was pretty good in his day. Sigh, you’re probably thinking of 1970 or so. From wiki:
McDaniel considered his top overall year as 1960 with the St. Louis Cardinals, when he logged a 12–2 mark in relief with 22 saves and an ERA of 1.29 while being named (for the only time in his career) to the National League All-Star team. He earned Fireman of the Year honors, while finishing third for the Cy Young Award and fifth in MVP voting, both his highest placings. He ranked his next-best year as 1970 with the Yankees, when he was 9–5 with a career high 29 saves and 2.01 ERA, followed by the 1963 season when he was 13–7 with 21 saves and a 2.86 ERA[4].
McDaniel won Fireman of the Year honors in 1960 and 1963. He also led[clarification needed] the National League in relief pitching in 1959, but that was the year before the first Fireman of the Year award was presented. With nine saves and a 0.74 ERA, McDaniel was named the Player of the Month for June 1960.[5]
McDaniel held the MLB record for most batters faced in the eighth inning over his career.[6] He allowed four walk-off grand slams during his career, more than any other major league pitcher on record.[7]

I had a 1970 Sports Illustrated baseball game, with stats for the separate teams. The Yankees were pretty mediocre, but McDaniel's stats really stood out.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Giants signed RHP Dominic Leone to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Leone struggled to an 8.38 ERA in 9 2/3 innings (12 appearances) this past season with the Indians. The 29-year-old righty hasn't been an effective major league reliever since back in 2017 with the Blue Jays.
Dec 9, 2020, 12:46 PM ET

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

The Cubs have told Jose Martinez he isn’t being tendered a contract, ESPN.com’s Jesse Rogers reports. Acquired from the Rays in a deadline deal, Martinez went hitless over 22 plate appearances with Chicago, only reaching base once on a walk. The 32-year-old mashed for the Cardinals from 2016-18, but delivered closer to league-average production in 2019 with St. Louis and with the Rays last season prior to the trade.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Xavier Scruggs has announced his retirement from baseball.

Scruggs saw some limited action with the Cardinals and Marlins from 2014-16 before playing in Korea and Mexico the last few years. It's not clear what Scruggs' next plans are, but he's done some radio work so it's possible he'll stay in the game in that capacity.
Source: Xavier Scruggs on Twitter
Jan 1, 2021, 9:58 AM ET