cancer

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: cancer

Post by heyzeus »

Thank you all. GRB is part of my life and family, and I appreciate your thoughts.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

I'm so sorry zeus. I'm glad you were able to make it there to be with him. Peace and love to you and your family.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

So sorry for your loss zeus, hang in there.

I’m glad you and your brother were able to be by his side, I’m sure that brought him comfort in his final moments.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Relieved for you that you made it in time.
heyzeus wrote:
November 23 20, 4:01 pm
We decided he'll be buried in his Stan Musial jersey, the player that he idolized for all of his life.
This rules. The Cardinals are a big (honestly maybe the biggest) connective tissue for me and my dad. I know literally everyone here has a deep appreciation for the tradition and ties that Cardinals baseball brings to our life, so I'm not breaking any news to anyone, but it is extremely special and an important good that exists in our life. Even when the business side of the game is ugly or the investment mostly goes one way from we the fans, to the team and it's coffers, it is still a beautiful and special part of our lives for reasons just like this. I'm going to call my dad tonight just to talk about our lack of offense and I'm not just going to [expletive] about how we've needed an elite bat for 10 years now, I'm going to savor it.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I'm so sorry for your loss heyzeus.

That is awesome about his Stan Musial jersey. I hope you find peace in all of this. Time is a precious commodity. And time will be the one constant in your healing.

I'm glad you and your brother were able to be with him. I held my mom's hand with my head on her arm as she took her last breath. That is a surreal feeling that can't be replicated. But there was an immediate peace and calm that took over the room when she passed. I remember being extremely scared as they took her breathing tube out and we waited for hours with her. I was terrified for those few hours - like couldn't breathe at times. But that peace and calm was a good reminder of how she always made me feel.

Blessings to you and your family.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Sorry to hear, zeus. Glad you got to be there one last time, and he should be proud as hell of the son he raised.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

I’m glad you were able to be there. My dad died in the Alzheimer’s ward of the Mo. Veterans Home in Cape Girardeau on Mem. Day 2010. He didn’t know who I was the last time we visited but it still would’ve been nice to have been with him when he passed.

The Musial jersey is cool as hell. :cool:

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I'm so sorry about your loss, heyzeus. I missed your earlier posts this month about your father, so all of this is a shock to me. I am glad that you and your brother could return to St. Louis to be with your father and comfort your mother. I made a similar journey to St. Louis ten years ago for my father, and I was very thankful to have family together with me when I said goodbye.

Please know that you're an important contributor to this board--a mensch--and I have no doubt that we see aspects of your father in your daily generosity of spirit, intelligence, humor, and thoughtfulness. We are all beneficiaries of your father's legacy.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

sighyoung wrote:
November 26 20, 10:02 pm
I'm so sorry about your loss, heyzeus. I missed your earlier posts this month about your father, so all of this is a shock to me. I am glad that you and your brother could return to St. Louis to be with your father and comfort your mother. I made a similar journey to St. Louis ten years ago for my father, and I was very thankful to have family together with me when I said goodbye.

Please know that you're an important contributor to this board--a mensch--and I have no doubt that we see aspects of your father in your daily generosity of spirit, intelligence, humor, and thoughtfulness. We are all beneficiaries of your father's legacy.
Thank you Sigh, your kindness means a lot to me.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
November 24 20, 1:10 pm
I'm glad you and your brother were able to be with him. I held my mom's hand with my head on her arm as she took her last breath. That is a surreal feeling that can't be replicated. But there was an immediate peace and calm that took over the room when she passed. I remember being extremely scared as they took her breathing tube out and we waited for hours with her. I was terrified for those few hours - like couldn't breathe at times. But that peace and calm was a good reminder of how she always made me feel.
This was almost precisely the experience I had, and you describe it so well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.