movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: movies

Post by pioneer98 »

I rewatched Fight Club for the first time in a really, really long time.
[SHOW]
This web site claims that the 3 other main characters besides the Narrator (Jack) are all just alternate personalities that don't really exist. The movie comes right out and says that about Tyler Durden at the end of course. The other two are Marla and Bob Paulsen. I'm not as sure about Bob. He's kind of a lesser character, anyway. But the case that Marla is also an alternate personality is pretty convincing. There are a number of scenes scattered around the movie that do not make sense at all otherwise. The most convincing one is when the Narrator gets off the airplane, and they can't find his luggage. The airport confiscated his luggage because it was vibrating. The airport guy strongly insinuates they found a dildo in his luggage. Marla has a dildo in her hotel room. Also, Marla and Tyler are never on screen at the same time. They get close a couple times but not quite. It also made no sense to me why they would let Marla stay at the testicular cancer support group. There is definitely something going on there that is not explained and left for us to figure out. If you do watch it again, also note how similar Marla's clothes and glasses are to Tyler's, especially in subsequent scenes.

At the end, the Narrator basically chooses to stay with Marla instead of Tyler. It's like he had to pick one or the other. There is also a theory that the house on Paper Street and everything in it is imaginary. I think there could be something to that, too, but I'd have to think about that some more. That may require another re-watch.

It is pretty wild how many people watched this movie and came away thinking Tyler Durden is a role model. It's another extremely prescient movie. Durden is like the nihilist masculinity that 4chan trolls imagine themselves to be. The "fight club" is akin to the internet spaces where these people get radicalized. "Project Mayhem" is them literally trolling society - they just play goofy destructive pranks on everyone constantly. There is also a spooky fascist element to Project Mayhem. When Bob dies, and the one guy is like "Bury him in the garden." The Narrator is like "No, you can't bury him in the garden. This man is Bob Paulsen." And then they are like "I see. So in death, we get a name. And his name is Bob Paulsen" And then they all chant "His name is Bob Paulsen." over and over. Creepy.
Last edited by pioneer98 on November 18 20, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

good recap/analysis. i think i own it...i should watch it again soon too

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I've never seen the movie Fargo, I will watch it this weekend. As we travelled to an audit on Monday, we drove by the Tops Motel in Sterling, ND. My boss told me that was the setting for the final scene in the movie. That's kinda cool. Yay ND.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Watched "The Gentlemen" last night. Stars Matthew McConaughey, Charlie Hunnam, Hugh Grant and Colin Farrell; directed/written/produced by Guy Ritchie. It's about a weed dealer in the UK who wants to retire, a loyal employee and a sleazebag private eye who tries to bring it all down.

I thought it was really good. Had a few dark humor moments interspersed among the many twists and turns.

The only knock on the film was an overuse of the c-word. I mean, it's uttered at least 40 times. It felt forced and gratuitous. Probably could have gone with a different term, especially considering they weren't using it to refer to a single female character. Oh well.

I'd still give it 8 out of 10.

Jerry1880
Single A Minor League Player

Post by Jerry1880 »

I have recently watched King Arthur: Legend of the Sword with Charlie Hunnam. The movie is produced by Guy Ritchie. I liked it so much and I was really surprised that I hadn't watched it before

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Here's a reason to subscribe to HBO Max, or a reason to divest your theater chain stock(s):
Warner Bros strikes huge blow to movie theaters, will send all its 2021 movies simultaneously to HBO Max

AT&T-owned WarnerMedia shook up Hollywood when it announced on Thursday that it will release all of its 2021 Warner Bros. films to its HBO Max streaming platform at the same time the movies hit theaters. After one month of streaming on HBO Max, the films will leave the platform and continue to play in theaters, the company said, calling the plan a “unique, consumer-focused distribution model” and a “strategic response to the impact of the ongoing global pandemic.”

The experiment will begin with “Wonder Woman 1984,” which WarnerMedia had previously announced will hit HBO Max and U.S. movie theaters simultaneously on Dec. 25. The 2021 Warner Bros. lineup has 17 movies, including “Dune,” “Matrix 4,” “In The Heights,” “Space Jam: A New Legacy,” and the “Sopranos” prequel film “The Many Saints of Newark.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/warner-b ... 53161.html

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

lotta good roles from him