Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on December 8. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

Quick personal note: Well-wishes should be sent to Steve, as he is getting married this Saturday. Congrats to him!

I included a bonus Q&A about tanking vs. fielding a competitive team, in part because it included a mention of a couple NL Central teams and in part because of a discussion in a different thread here.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with- ... -9426.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
What is the current value of Kris Bryant? What can the cubs realistically ask for?

Steve Adams
It's not all that high. The return when he's traded, which I do expect to happen, will probably make Cubs fans say, "...That's it?"
Thoughts on a Flaherty for Adell trade?

Steve Adams
Cardinals aren't making that move without the Angels adding a good bit more.
Couldn’t the Reds have gotten more for Iglesias?

Steve Adams
They treated the move like a pure salary dump. Ramirez was a non-tender candidate a week prior to the trade. I expect the cash that went to the Angels in that deal was minimal, and the Reds were happy to move Iglesias to whoever paid the largest portion of the freight.
If Adam Eaton can get $7 M in a depressed market, then Schwarber will get $x M?

Steve Adams
I doubt he'll get much more, and he might even get less. Eaton had a rough defensive year this past season but I would imagine teams still believe in his ability to play a solid corner outfield more than they believe in Schwarber's.
Contreras +1 for Snell

Steve Adams
Contreras has less team control than Snell. No way the Rays do that.
Which team is the best landing spot for Marcus Semien?

Steve Adams
The Phillies, Reds and A's at this point, but I don't think any of them will spend enough to get him.

Blue Jays, Twins, Yankees (if DJ leaves) all make sense to me. First two would need to move some pieces around (Jays play Bichette or Biggio at 3B; Twins move Polanco or Arraez into utility role with other taking 2B).
Are the Reds actually making room for a high priced SS? Or is the GM lying to the fans?

Steve Adams
Krall hasn't said "we're dumping salary to make room for a shortstop," he's just spoken of better ways they feel they could allocate the resources they've saved. I question whether they'll actually spend the money.
The Reds traded their closer, and my heart shrank 2 sizes that day. If they trade Sonny it will shrink 5 times...who besides Sonny Gray is probably on the market in Cincy?? Us Grinches have to stick together...

Steve Adams
Just look at who is earning money and isn't on a bad/immovable contract. Tucker Barnhart makes the most sense out of who's left. Wade Miley if they eat half the money maybe.
Are the Brewers looking for pitching help or infield help in dealing Hader?

Steve Adams
They're not looking to deal Hader, they're just listening when people call on him. And they wouldn't be focused on any one position so much as just acquiring the best all-around talent.

This time next year or, if the Brewers are out of it at the deadline this summer, the Hader talk will carry more weight.
Prediction on Reds Opening Day Closer.. Lorenzen? Garrett? Current Free Agent?

Steve Adams
Amir Garrett.
Will Musgrove take more to acquire than Lynn?

Steve Adams
You're talking two years of Musgrove at a cheaper price point, but Lynn is better. I'd have said yesterday I think Musgrove commands more, but I also would've said I don't think the Sox would give up Dunning for Lynn.

Pirates probably would prefer to diversify the risk and acquire multiple quality pieces, so I expect the packages to look a little different. They acquired pretty low-level talent when they traded Marte last winter, for instance.
What could the Pirates get back in a sea for Adam Frazier?

Steve Adams
The second base market is flooded with FAs as it is, and he had a pretty rough 2020. I don't think there's much trade value there.
What would a package from Boston look like for 2 years of my services?

Steve Adams
I just don't see this as the time that the Pirates would move him. His value can only go up as he gets back to the mound.
Yadi and Waino sign team friendly deals to help Cards make a few other moves?

Steve Adams
If that were going to happen it would've happened already.
Thoughts on the Santana deal for KC? If nothing, nice to see them giving some effort in putting a competitive team out there.

Steve Adams
Pretty much this. I don't think the Royals are going to be contenders because they added Minor, Santana and MAT, but good on them for actually trying. The "we can only win if we tank aggressively" act is tired and, frankly, a load of BS anyway. The Orioles have already been rebuilding for more than three years and they have no hope anywhere in sight.

It worked for the Astros and the Cubs when most teams weren't doing it, but those teams got lucky in a way to have such impactful talent at the top of the draft class, and the returns diminish inherently the more clubs rebuild.

The Reds did a fire sale and all but tanked for how many years, and now they're sitting here dealing guys away again after a one-and-done in the playoffs? I don't think this is necessarily the onset of another Reds rebuild, but man does it still suck for their fans to see moves like non-tendering Bradley and Casali and dumping Iglesias.

Tags:

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by Fat Strat »

I agree with his point about Yadi and AW. I don't understand why the club hasn't signed Waino. He's shown a willingness to take team-friendly deals in the past. What has changed now? They definitely need a starter, even if they plan on Gomber and Reyes in the rotation. Molina is a different problem. It's likely that the club wants to do Yadi's deal first but that doesn't seem necessary to me.

Unless the club really doesn't have budget space to spend at all.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Re: Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

I know the first 1/3 of December is here, but I disagree about the timing being late on our two candidates. Sometimes they get done before xmas, sometimes after. We really havent had too much get excited about around the GM Meetings in a few years. So having something under the tree this year, no matter if its closure or reupping with a guy, wouldnt really be par for our course. Add in layers of uncertainty, and its not very surprising. They're more impactful staying here, than they would be leaving; Waino might not crack the rotation of a contender, or Yadi isnt starting 100 games for anybody but StL.. So its not pressing to the FO. Any offers these guys receive will very likely be brought before DeWallet; counters will be available.