movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: movies

Post by Jocephus »

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Watched "The Night Before" starring Joseph Gordon Levitt, Seth Rogan, Anthony Mackie and Michael Shannon (with cameos from Miley Cyrus and James Franco). A handful of comics have bit parts, too, like Mindy Kaling, Ilana Glazer, Tracy Morgan and Jason Jones.

It's about 3 high school friends who have grown up (kind of) and are spending one last wild Christmas Eve before one of them becomes a father. They go around NYC doing their normal traditions (Rockefeller tree, karaoke, etc.), but also plan to go to some elusive and exclusive party. It's typical Seth Rogan fare, where many things are far-fetched, copious drugs are involved and it tries to be heartwarming in the end. Overall, it was pretty funny.

I can't say I saw the whole thing, as I was watching it on FXM. They included all the language, but I think they omitted some risque scene(s) and imagery. Nevertheless, I've seen it. 6 out of 10.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Tom Cruise blows up on the set of Mission Impossible 7. Not in a literal sense, but figuratively:
Five crew 'quit' Mission: Impossible after Tom Cruise's furious rant

Five crew members have reportedly quit Mission: Impossible 7 filming after another rant by Hollywood star Tom Cruise, according to The Sun. It comes after audio was leaked of the Hollywood star furiously shouting at crew on the British set of Mission: Impossible 7 for breaking COVID-19 protocols.

The rant, which goes on for three minutes, continues, with Cruise hammering his point home, saying: "You can tell it to the people who are losing their f****ng homes because our industry is shut down. It's not going to put food on their table or pay for their college education. That's what I sleep with every night — the future of this f****ng industry!"

"So I'm sorry, I am beyond your apologies. I have told you, and now I want it, and if you don't do it, you're out. We are not shutting this f****ng movie down! Is it understood? If I see it again, you're f****ng gone."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tom ... 34510.html

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Funny story. Prime Video is easily the worst app on my tv. I fired up The Sound of Metal and watched 25 minutes thinking it was an interesting experiential choice to have the movie super dark--like as a comparison to having 20 percent of your hearing the filmmakers were giving you 20 percent of the light. But eventually I just couldn't watch it anymore. So I restarted the app, and sure enough, no such interesting experiential choice had been made.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

The Prime video app does suck. The only part I like is when you pause it tells you the actors on the screen and/or what song is playing. The rest is terrible and slow to navigate.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
December 22 20, 1:41 pm
Funny story. Prime Video is easily the worst app on my tv. I fired up The Sound of Metal and watched 25 minutes thinking it was an interesting experiential choice to have the movie super dark--like as a comparison to having 20 percent of your hearing the filmmakers were giving you 20 percent of the light. But eventually I just couldn't watch it anymore. So I restarted the app, and sure enough, no such interesting experiential choice had been made.
I didn't have that issue. good flick, by 2020 standards maybe general standards. hope you get to see it.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Freed Roger wrote:
December 27 20, 10:33 pm
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
December 22 20, 1:41 pm
I didn't have that issue. good flick, by 2020 standards maybe general standards. hope you get to see it.
I'll get back to it eventually. I had read what a good job the actor had done, so I didn't want to watch it if I couldn't really see his face, even if it was designed to let me inhabit senses like a disabled person as I had mistakenly thought. All the loading screens and menus looked fine around the movie, which is why I made this odd conclusion.

Stumbled into this somehow--the answer to a question I know you've asked your brothers or buddies--how many shots were fired at John Matrix in the epic crescendo of Commando? Damn he's slippery.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Watched "40 Days and 40 Nights" recently. It "stars" Josh Hartnett, Paolo Costanzo and some other people that you may or may not recognize.

Not a good movie. Unless you like seeing boobs, in which case you will see a lot of them. Most of them are computer animated, but there are more than a few that are attached to humans.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Caught up on some movies this weekend.

WW84...eh. There's some really weak storytelling going on. And it seemed like a real overuse of slow mo during action shots. The fights were also not the best choreography, I think the first movie did better with that. The end credits cameo scene was cool if not obvious.

Birds of Prey. Enjoyed it for what it was. Some weak dialogue but that's not totally unusual for comic movies. Fight choreography was not a strength in this one either.

Dark Phoenix. Heard this was terrible but I didn't think it was that bad. Definitely not a great X Men film but worthy of a watch. Kind of a weak film for the studio to finish on. Be interested to see what Marvel does with the universe.

Love and Monsters. This one was pretty fun even if predictable. I expect a sequel sometime down the road.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

"surviving edged weapons"

its actually a police instructional/information video from the late 80s but it's far better than modern movies. come for the chills and thrills, stay for the thick milwaukee accents
*looks like you'd have to watch on YT but i do recommend