St. Louis Blues 2020-21 Offseason and Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: St. Louis Blues 2020-21 Offseason and Season

Post by JCShutout »

Popeye_Card wrote:
December 24 20, 7:10 am
Well you almost always have at least one D man as a captain or alternate, so I am sure that is most of it. I would have said it was a coin flip between Schwartz and Schenn. Schenn probably gets the nod because he brings more of an edge that the others (including Schwartz) do not.
You're probably right, but I'll bet the fact that Schenn is under contract for basically the rest of his career tilted the scales. All other things being essentially equal, you don't potentially lose an A at the end of the season. (Though as I said, I really want the Blues to keep both)

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status ... 36198?s=20

Day 1, sees a Trojan Horse for what it is. Well played Captain. Well played.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

i love doug armstrong...
Mike Hoffman has agreed to a professional tryout with the St. Louis Blues.

Hoffman will attend training camp with the Blues, which is set to begin on Jan. 3 at Centene Community Ice Center. He racked up 29 goals and 59 points in 69 games with the Florida Panthers last season. Hoffman was one of the better free agents available, so it's a bit surprising that he had to settle for a PTO, but this has been an unusual year. He could be a great addition for the Blues, assuming he signs with the team, as he has plenty of offensive ability and can produce steadily on the power play. Hoffman is free to sign with any NHL team during his time at training camp with the Blues and his PTO expires once it's concluded, but there is a clear path for him to officially join St. Louis for the 2020-21 season. The Blues will free up some cap space when Vladimir Tarasenko and Alexander Steen go on LTIR, which is when Hoffman could get a contract from the team.

SOURCE: St. Louis Blues Press Release
Dec 27, 2020, 6:56 PM ET
rutherford reporting that most likely once the season starts and blues transfer tarasenko and steen to LTIR and recoup all of the money, he'll be signed officially

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Yeah, that is a fantastic signing. Still a bit worried about the D corps this year without Petro, but I think the Blues are still shaping up to be a top team in the west.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

So I guess this is what the first 2 lines of the Blues will look like:

1. LW. Schwartz C. Schenn RW. Thomas
2. LW. Hoffman C. O'Reilly RW. Perron

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

HOLY CRAP!

The blues just get it done man. Cup winner? Bring in a top D (Faulk will be better with more consistency), might lose petro, bam! Krug! No tank? Boom! Hoffman.

I love Doug Armstrong AND Tom Stillman! (Who could have gone w kyrou and no one would have complained)

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

One question I have with the Blues is will they have a good quality #2 goalie this season? Since the NHL schedule this season might require a lot of back-to-back games you're going to need a quality backup.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

JoeMcKim wrote:
December 28 20, 10:05 pm
One question I have with the Blues is will they have a good quality #2 goalie this season? Since the NHL schedule this season might require a lot of back-to-back games you're going to need a quality backup.
This is an excellent point. Time to see if Binnington was a flash in the pan, and if the other young goalies have any game.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

JCShutout wrote:
December 28 20, 11:33 am
The blues just get it done man. Cup winner? Bring in a top D (Faulk will be better with more consistency), might lose petro, bam! Krug! No tank? Boom! Hoffman.
I think if they pair Faulk with Scandella that'll be a good pairing. It's sucks what happened to Bouwmeester but if that didn't happen they wouldn't have been forced to go get Scandella and he's got a lot more youth on his side than Bouw so it was a situation where the Blues were forced to get a guy with much more upside for the future.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Uh oh. Sounds like Tarasenko's ass is a little chapped about not being named captain.
As part of a wide-ranging interview with the Russian website SPORT24, Blues forward Vladimir Tarasenko expressed disappointment over not being named team captain for the coming season.

“Of course, when you play for eight years at a club and have been an assistant (alternate captain) for a long time, you count on it,” Tarasenko said, via Google Translate. “(Jaden) Schwartz and I have been playing for the longest at St. Louis of the guys on the team now. But the management made a decision, I see no reason to discuss it. There were hopes, but how it happened, it happened. I just have to accept it, go out and play.”

Ryan O’Reilly was named the 23rd captain in team history last week, replacing Alex Pietrangelo after the veteran defenseman signed with the Vegas Golden Knights this offseason in free agency. Pietrangelo had been Blues captain for the past four years.

With the departure of Pietrangelo and Alexander Steen’s retirement, Tarasenko and Schwartz are now the senior members on the roster in terms of continuous service with the Blues. Both were drafted in the first round in 2010 — just two spots apart — and have been with the Blues full-time since the 2012-13 season.
STL TODAY STORY