MLB Off-season Happenings

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: MLB Off-season Happenings

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

The WAR in/WAR out of the NL Central is going to be comically pathetic.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

dave cameron going nuts

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

If the Padres get Yu Darvish are they the NL favorites?

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Padres sign Ha-Seong Kim. At least a 4 year deal.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
December 28 20, 1:23 pm
Padres sign Ha-Seong Kim. At least a 4 year deal.
Phuk

Jayramball04
All-Star

Post by Jayramball04 »

they beat us and added 2 more good picchers , the cards are a [expletive] joke...

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

The two best teams in the NL next year are probably going to be in the West division.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

With the lack of willingness to spend by owners it leads me to believe there will 100% be a work stoppage at the end of this season. I don't see things changing within the next 12 months to prevent it. It's only getting worse.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
December 30 20, 7:52 am
With the lack of willingness to spend by owners it leads me to believe there will 100% be a work stoppage at the end of this season. I don't see things changing within the next 12 months to prevent it. It's only getting worse.
I agree. While I of course think all of the owners are looking to still turn a profit, I think the current situation does highlight just how much revenue clubs depend on to come from ticket sales and other spending by fans at the ballpark for 81 home games per year. Sure seems like teams are expecting that income to be significantly down not only this season, but for a few seasons to come. And they are likely right. This is going to be a cold war all winter long.

A stoppage could get really ugly too. Take the current fan apathy from the pandemic, the younger generations general uninterest in baseball, add an ugly work stoppage on top of it - we could be looking at MLB becoming a niche sports league, joining the ranks of the WNBA and behind MLS. Hell, it may even be time to discuss contraction again.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Popeye_Card wrote:
December 30 20, 8:06 am
Magneto2.0 wrote:
December 30 20, 7:52 am
I agree. While I of course think all of the owners are looking to still turn a profit, I think the current situation does highlight just how much revenue clubs depend on to come from ticket sales and other spending by fans at the ballpark for 81 home games per year. Sure seems like teams are expecting that income to be significantly down not only this season, but for a few seasons to come. And they are likely right. This is going to be a cold war all winter long.
This isn't exactly how it works. We can say the Cubs were sold for a billion dollars or whatever but that amount never changed hands. What it seems like is teams leverage all those ticket and concession sales and call them "revenue streams" which Wall Street will turn into an investment instrument. It's the same way monthly mortgage payments got turned into CDOs and other garbage. So what I'm saying is that it's even more flimsy than you are describing. If teams took ticket and concession sales and used it directly to pay players, they'd be in better shape and you could expect a faster rebound. Once rumblings of labor unrest starts, suddenly there will be like a dozen teams that claim they are bankrupt. And technically on paper they will be correct because their revenue streams will be already slotted to pay Wall Street who wants their damn money since they took a bath on those investments this year.