Blake Snell traded to the Padres

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Re: Blake Snell traded to the Padres

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
December 29 20, 2:35 pm
Yeeting any contracts of girth that the Cards have, and playing almost exclusively young players with little to no service time is just about the only way I'll find the 2021 season entertaining.
I agree with this.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
December 30 20, 10:32 am
Popeye_Card wrote:
December 29 20, 8:59 am
I’m not completely sold on Snell being an ace caliber pitcher. Obviously he had an outstanding 2018 season. Other than that he has been more in the range of #2-3 starter type performance. To my knowledge he has not had Tommy John surgery yet, so there is always that ticking time bomb for a pitcher. The contract is obviously good.
He's won as many Cy Youngs as the entirety of the Cardinals organisation has in the last 40 years.
You got me there.

He's also carried the same ERA+ (in less innings) than Adam Wainwright in the past two seasons. A good K rate, but a concerning BB/9 rate consistently in the mid-3's.

He's good, don't get me wrong. But if you are expecting ace level production out of him every year, understand that he's been there only once in his career thus far, and his underlying stats point more to him being a #2-3 type.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

No-one is saying "ace level production every year". It appears to be something you've pulled out of thin air to justify...not sure, really.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
December 31 20, 3:24 pm
No-one is saying "ace level production every year". It appears to be something you've pulled out of thin air to justify...not sure, really.
I’m sorry, your trivial response regarding Cy Young awards was much more thoroughly researched and poignant. What was your point?