MLB Off-season Happenings

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: MLB Off-season Happenings

Post by JoeMcKim »

Whoever wins the NL Central this coming season will only be a few games over .500.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

JoeMcKim wrote:
December 31 20, 5:05 pm
Whoever wins the NL Central this coming season will only be a few games over .500.
Are we expecting a full season, or abbreviated? Short-season, i think you're right. Regular length, I think its possible somebody ends up 10 games over; this is because of a normal-ish trading deadline, etc.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

This has to be the most depressing baseball offseason since, like, WWII. Maybe the strike year too.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

When we're in January and the arguable top free agent of LeMahieu still hasn't signed is sad.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Wow! Maybe I'm an age-ist, but 25 seems awfully young to be an assistant pitching coach for a MLB team:
Conger joines the Driveline/Reds family that also includes 25-year-old assistant pitching coach Eric Jagers. The former University of Iowa southpaw found his way to Driveline as an amateur pitcher struggling to stay healthy. Thoracic Outlet Syndrome further stymied his pitching career, importuning Jagers to commit early to a career in coaching, writes Bobby Nightengale of The Enquirer. Writes Nightengale, “The result was a meteoric rise through the sport. In three years, Jagers went from an injured college pitcher to the Cincinnati Reds’ Assistant Pitching Coach. At 25 years old, he’s one of the youngest coaches on any Major League staff.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/ ... ioles.html

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

schwarber to nats

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports reports that the White Sox have signed free agent reliever Liam Hendriks.

MLB.com's Mark Feinsand adds that it's a three-year deal with a fourth-year club option and will carry a $54 million overall guarantee. Interestingly, per ESPN's Jeff Passan, Hendriks will make $39 million through the first three years and then there is a $15 million buyout on the option, which is also worth $15 million. Finalization of the agreement is only pending the necessary pre-signing physical exam. Hendriks was also said to be drawing serious interest from the Dodgers, Blue Jays, and Mets, but the White Sox apparently out-bid the competition to fill a big void in their closer role. The 31-year-old righty posted a brilliant 1.79 ERA, 0.897 WHIP, and 161 strikeouts in 110 1/3 innings with the A's between 2019-2020 while earning a total of 39 saves.

Source: Yahoo Sports
Jan 11, 2021, 10:34 PM ET

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Whoah

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

That is possibly the strangest signing I have ever seen, relative to the market conditions at the time.

Also, is there a typo with that buyout option? A $15MM buyout of a $15MM option? I feel like a decimal is missing there.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Like my 75 year old neighbor used to say when he gave me ten bucks to help him bale ten hay fields...that's good pay.