Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Freed Roger »

More thread specific - using this new situation - since I don't have a gym or any race on my calendar to prep for., and need to chill out for mental purposes with physical stuff...

I am doing heart rate training . 6 times into it. I go out with goal of about 4 to 8 miles, keeping my Hr under 134bpm. Build the aerobic engine when else will I get to try this?

Observations: It is crazy how slow i have to go to keep the HR down that low. I think my muscles get more of workout this way than I expected. I really have a bad slow stride, it isnt efficient and takes too much effort. The calorie burn thing, I sense is true. But havent stepped on a scale to verify. Going to keep at it. I hope by time I am done with this, I can reduce my total aerobic pace by a couple of minutes per mile.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Anybody want to do a social d weight GAIN contest?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I am on it.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

hows everyone doing with all the madness going on? anyone doing dryuary?

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

I may try Dry Tuesday next week.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

After a pre-pandemic low of about 255 lbs (from a high of 377), I slowly put on about 25 lbs the last year. UGH.

I'm back on keto now, and trying to slow my bourbon consumption. It's just so tasty!

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

When covid hit, I was ramping up for an April trail race, was running and hitting the gym.

Gym halted and havent been back. I never really tried heart rate training before (80% -or bulk of activity like running I keep at below my HR anaerobic threshold - my watch has monitor) and decided to give it a shot and reduce the exercise stress.

Its pretty good. I am a believer in it. To keep my HR below threshhold (133 bpm for me, varies by age, sex, weight etc)
, at first meant jog walk at 13-14 min/mile pace to achieve that baseline. Now i do it between 11-12 .

its surprising, i still get most the benefits of running hard
I am not in race shape, but feel good. when i do go out hard, i am surprised how within range I still am of my all-out trained up self

Also, I switched from trail running races, to mostly doing paddle events, as well as small expeditions (see the thread on how using my time in covid) . it's really great. And the lony slow easy workouts are more in the effort zone required for paddle events

Instead of gym, i do a lot more chinups pushups situps planks. mainly for the paddling -core infrastructure.

My pre-covid era exercise was too much geared towards training for a running race , as well as beer gut control, and mental aspects.

The Beer gut control still remains a WIP but the mental aspects exponentially better this way. anymore I can hardly fathom exercising without the endgame of gaining more and lifelong enjoyment of outdoor activities and etc like chasing the grandbaby down.

one last for instance - now that it appears I have covid, and heart inflammation is potential effect - I will go even slower, and whatever I do for exercise will be fun.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

My dad started skateboarding on a long board with a push pole during quarantine. He's 61.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I haven't gained any weight since the pandemic. I haven't lost any either.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Freed Roger wrote:
January 15 21, 3:29 pm
The Beer gut control still remains a WIP but the mental aspects exponentially better this way.
Brother, I know of a zero-calorie, organic, and anti-inflammatory intoxicant that makes exercising more tolerable, outdoor activities more vibrant and peaceful, and has 0 lingering hangover effects. For $20 on venmo I will tell you what it is.