Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Radbird »

Radbird wrote:
January 22 21, 10:45 am
Registered in state website this morning. Should get email in next 3-5 days with options for scheduling shots.
Well, that was quick. Got email from the CDC last night with link to schedule appts. We are all set for Feb 9 to get first shots. A little over 12 hours from registration to appointment. Impressive.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Great news, Rad. I just want everyone vaccinated like today.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Got my results back and am negative which I guess is good news.

Listening to everyone on here that has done everything right yet still catch it is so depressing. Thank you all for sharing though and for keeping us updated as you progress.

Anecdotally, my dad caught it by going into someone’s house who was positive (though obviously they didn’t know at the time or have any symptoms). He wore a mask and was in there for 10-15 minutes. He’s a germaphobe so he has this process of sanitizing his hands, demasking, sanitizing his hands. Then using bleach to wipe down his car when he gets home.

If he got it, it was almost assuredly via airborne aerosols that went around his (surgical) mask. It’s like...god damnit. This thing is just so easy to catch, even proper hygiene may not be enough. [expletive] it all to hell.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

I guess the nfl has decided if you’re vaccinated then you’re good to come to a sporting event. Hence their pr of giving vaccinated healthcare workers tickets to the Super Bowl. Rather or not large gatherings spread the virus? Eh, [expletive] it.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Jocephus wrote:
January 22 21, 8:09 am
I'm single, live alone and...i kinda hate people so the restrictions haven't really been much of nuisance to me and i dont want it...because i live alone and dont really know anyone out here anyways...but i know i'm probably in the minority
This is exactly my situation. I never suffered from FOMO as much as many people, being a natural introvert, but 2020 completely eliminated it and I don't think I'll ever go back to giving a [expletive] about whether or not I'm missing out on anything.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Saw this article and needed to post it here. I'm not going to copy & paste all 10 suggestions, but I will copy & paste the last one, because I don't think this is getting enough airplay.
What to do, and not do, before and after your Covid vaccine shot

It's an all-out sprint to get Americans vaccinated against the deadly novel coronavirus. As you prepare to get your shot, here are 10 actions experts suggest doing -- and avoiding.

DO: Continue wearing masks and practicing social distancing after your shots.

Continue to wear your masks and practice appropriate social distancing after both your first and second doses of vaccine, the CDC says. The first dose will not produce enough of an immune response to protect you or others. The second dose should provide approximately 95% protection within one to two weeks after administration, depending on the vaccine.

However, the CDC says, even after you are fully vaccinated you may still be a silent carrier of the coronavirus. "We ... don't yet know whether getting a COVID-19 vaccine will prevent you from spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 to other people," the CDC says.

So to protect others, continue to wear a mask over your nose and mouth, stay at least 6 feet away from others, avoid crowds and crowded and poorly ventilated spaces, and wash your hands often for at least 20 full seconds.

https://www.kmov.com/news/what-to-do-an ... 7686e.html

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

So even after we are all vaccinated are we not returning to normal?

The wife and I were just saying that once we are healthy again we are going out for steak. Is that super irresponsible of us? We haven't eaten out since March of 20.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

IMADreamer wrote:
January 25 21, 8:46 pm

The wife and I were just saying that once we are healthy again we are going out for steak. Is that super irresponsible of us? We haven't eaten out since March of 20.
I'm going to resist the urge to make a joke about the phrasing of your last sentence and just say that IMO, you should definitely go out to eat when you're good to go. As long as you still have antibodies, you're not a "silent carrier."

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

thrill wrote:
January 26 21, 8:19 am
IMADreamer wrote:
January 25 21, 8:46 pm

I'm going to resist the urge to make a joke about the phrasing of your last sentence and just say that IMO, you should definitely go out to eat when you're good to go. As long as you still have antibodies, you're not a "silent carrier."
Is that gospel now? I haven't paid enough attention, but I would equivocate post-symptomatic covid infection to 2 weeks post-2nd dose-vaccine.

I wish I could make a chart because it would be easier to track. But, my understanding was:
Natural Infection with symptoms leads to the virus being killed off by the adaptive arm of the immune system in which case you produce antibodies.

Vaccines all but guarantee antibodies are produced.

Antibodies prevent the virus from entering cells but don't kill the virus. In short, you can inhale or get the virus, but it can't reproduce. Does the inability to reproduce prevent transmissibility? I don't know. And, while it would make sense, it's not proven.

Antibodies fade after some time (3-6 months), but the memory cells after an infection (natural or vaccine) should recognize the spike protein and be able to ramp up antibody production much quicker than a naive immune system.

All that to say, I think the recommendation is to still mask/distance/wash hands after the 2nd dose and after natural infections. Though, given the presence of antibodies it would seem that will change with time. But, it's still the recommendation for now.

However, and the real reason I wrote all that, would be to say, Ima it's not selfish to want to go out. You're incredibly likely, post infection, protected against severe illness from covid and have some level of reduced transmissibility in the event you are exposed again. Regardless, there are people going out to eat all the time that haven't been vaccinated or exposed and live with that risk. On top of that, I'm sure the restaurants wouldn't mind seeing you.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I agree 100% with AW.

People who are dining out at this point are either vaccinated or have done the calculus and are OK with the risks.