Random musings

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Random musings

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

The ratio of fruit cake jokes I have encountered vs actual fruit cakes is 15,550:1
I do a tiny little pre-nervous breakdown twitch every time a hear a fruit cake joke.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
December 15 20, 11:01 am
The ratio of fruit cake jokes I have encountered vs actual fruit cakes is 15,550:1
I do a tiny little pre-nervous breakdown twitch every time a hear a fruit cake joke.
Has anyone here ever had a piece? I think I've only ever even seen one once in my life.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
December 16 20, 6:05 pm
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
December 15 20, 11:01 am
Has anyone here ever had a piece? I think I've only ever even seen one once in my life.
I am the exception. Growing up, we got sent a fruitcake every year from this place courtesy of my grandparents. And we looked FORWARD to it. I didn't know fruitcake was bad until I left for college. This stuff was freaking awesome. Haven't had any since I left home and, from what I'm reading on their website, there's only 3 friars left? Maybe they only make a limited number or none at all. Made with Kentucky bourbon, aged and very, very good.

EDIT: Here's an article from the Louisville Courier-Journal: https://eu.courier-journal.com/story/li ... 388480002/
The Abbey of Gethsemani and Gethsemani Farms, 3642 Monks Road in Trappist, Kentucky, is known around the world for its dark, rich fruitcake anointed with, of course, Kentucky bourbon. The monks produce 70,000 pounds of fruitcake a year and ship them out to loyal customers across the country and overseas.

"Generally speaking, yeah, I can see why people don't like (fruitcake,)" Brother Paul Quenon, who's been at the abbey for 61 years, told The Courier Journal. "You know, it's sort of like stained glass windows. Either it's very, very good, or it's not good."

Fortunately for the monks, their recipe is "very, very good" and has been called the best by many, including The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Eat-Rite Diner boarded up, apparently closed

I’ve only been there a couple of times, but this makes me sad. Another familiar site that may not be there the next time I come home (whenever the hell that might be....)

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

I got a text from the wife a few minutes ago "put some ribs on the smoker, hope that's ok for dinner."

How did I find the perfect woman?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I'm so not ready for Monday

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

If you ever need furniture... don't come to me. I got laid off from my previous job back in June after nearly 23 years. I had the means to take three months off so I did and then a friend randomly asked if I knew of anybody looking for a job. I told him that I was and the next day I had a job selling furniture. It has been just under four months now and I've been promoted to assistant manager at a different store and while I believe in the company, our policies and everything... the furniture shortage is real. The first thing I did on day one in late September was look at the history for the company in the area and we used to get truck loads of furniture every week, if not more. This pandemic has us getting deliveries once a month at best and what we do get is already sold. Other than mattresses of course, we're good on mattresses. I love the job. I love our customers. I hate that we can't get the furniture to deliver.

FYI, if anybody saw the piece on the furniture industry last Wednesday that they had on Channel 4 at 10pm... that's my company and I talked to her first. She called my store (which I've since left for the promotion) first and I got her in touch with our VP of Operations who did the interview from the store I now work out of.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Good to hear from you Lombard. Glad things are going ok.

I hadn't heard about furniture shortages. What's causing the shortage?

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Yes, the furniture shortage is ridiculous. Ordered a sectional couch from Bob’s Furniture in SEPTEMBER, and we’re still waiting. It was supposed to be November, then December, oh wait January...sorry, not until February...now it’s been been pushed back to March.

Thankfully they are willing to provide a discount due to the massive delay, and they inability to provide ANY sort of accurate timeframe.

The appliance industry is in the same boat.

Lombard, being in the furniture biz....what would be a reasonable discount to ask for?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Real men build their own furniture