Albert Pujols retiring after the season

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Albert Pujols retiring after the season

Post by Magneto2.0 »

https://theathletic.com/news/albert-puj ... vb5G5AwC4g

Three-time MVP Albert Pujols will play his final major-league season in 2021, his wife Deidre Pujols wrote Monday on Instagram.

"Today is the first day of the last season of one of the most remarkable careers in sports!" Deidre Pujols wrote. "I’m talking about my husband @albertpujols who since the time he was a child would eat, sleep, and breathe this sport. I have had the privilege to walk out 23 years of this baseball journey and it is with such a full heart that I speak a blessing over him as he finishes this good race!"

Pujols, a 10-time All-Star, responded to his wife's post with three heart emojis.

The 41-year-old is entering his 21st season in the majors and his 10th with the Los Angeles Angels. He spent the first 11 years of his major-league career with the St. Louis Cardinals, earning nine All-Star appearances and three NL MVP awards (2005, 2008, 2009). Pujols also helped the Cardinals win the World Series in 2006 and again in 2011.

He ranks fifth all-time in home runs (662), trailing Alex Rodriguez by 34 for fourth, and third in RBIs (2,100) after passing Rodriguez last season.

Pujols batted .224 with six homers and 25 RBIs in 39 games during the shortened 2020 campaign.

What made Pujols so great
Fabian Ardaya, Angels beat writer: Pujols has a case along with Lou Gehrig as perhaps the greatest first baseman of all-time and truly one of the most feared hitters of his generation. His time in St. Louis was a model for consistency and domination, including three NL MVP Awards, a pair of World Series titles and a staggering 86.6 Baseball-Reference Wins Above Replacement in 11 seasons before going to Anaheim, where injuries slowed him down in the latter half of his career.

His legacy
Ardaya: Pujols spent the latter half of his career mentoring Mike Trout, who might be the only position player this century to match his level of peak greatness. He's a two-time World Series champion, an unquestioned first-ballot Hall of Famer and a respected voice in and out of the sport, including the work he and his wife have done with children with Down's syndrome and in combating human trafficking.

What's next for the Angels
Ardaya: It's been a couple of years since Pujols has assumed a regular role for the Angels either at first base or designated hitter, but the club still doesn't have a long-term solution at the former.

Jared Walsh is expected to get the bulk of the at-bats this season at first, with Shohei Ohtani seeing time at DH. Arte Moreno, who invested $240 million to lure Pujols to Anaheim, will suddenly have payroll room to be a player in free agency this winter. Pujols will still be around — he has a 10-year personal services contract with the Angels that kicks in once he retires.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Albert Pujols retiring after the season

Post by CardsofSTL »

We were spoiled by his greatness in St. Louis. I hope he has a strong finish.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I highly doubt I’ll ever see a Cardinal as great as AP was. Or as fierce of a competitor.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

She retracted the retirement part, but it's still likely a true statement

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I was definitely spoiled by Pujols' tenure on the team. What a magnificent career he has had.

But I'm really intrigued by Arte Moreno's next big splash in the free-agent market.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

TheoSqua wrote:
February 22 21, 10:28 pm
Yeah she's walked it back pretty hard. I always hope this is the year Albert has a big swan song season, against all logic and evidence.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Watching Pujols in his prime was a real treat. One of the best players of our generation and we saw him everyday for, what, 11 years? What an unbelievable talent.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

heyzeus wrote:
February 23 21, 9:17 am
TheoSqua wrote:
February 22 21, 10:28 pm
Yeah she's walked it back pretty hard. I always hope this is the year Albert has a big swan song season, against all logic and evidence.
Me too. Would love to see him put up another big season on his way out.

Gypsy Lou
Everyday Player

Post by Gypsy Lou »

I remember thinking to myself during the all-star break of his rookie season he has a chance of being the greatest Cardinal ever. If he had stayed a Cardinal woulda come close. Anyone compared his career stats with Stan the Man? I bet they're similar but Musial better.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

so does he go into the hall as a cardinal or angel