How old are you?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

How old are you?

Below 18
4%
18-25
23%
25-30
19%
30-40
26%
40-50
19%
Old enough to have seen the opening of Old Busch, still young enough to operate whatever this typewriter thing is...
8%

Total votes: 124

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: How old are you?

Post by GeddyWrox »

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. 38 would be glorious. I'm closer to 50 than 38 now.

ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

42 is the new 28.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

I joined in 2006 on my birthday. WTF was I doing? I turned 43 that day. Was immediately warned by Thrill to attack the argument not the person. It might have been worded differently.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

I turned 40 last week. I remember growing up when my aunts would turn 40 and it was a big deal, over the hill and all that. I never understood it really...Until I turned 40. It scares me how fast time is going. It scares me to know that I'm half way through this ride and I still really haven't figured out what the hell the point of any of it is.

I remember when my Dad turned 40. He seemed so young and in his prime, but I don't feel that way. I don't feel good most days. My back hurts all the time and anxiety gets the best of me more than it doesn't, even though I'm really good at not showing it. Quit frankly I'm tired. I'm not saying there aren't a lot of good times ahead, but I just feel like I've been there and done that with most everything and there are no real milestones to look forward to.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

sighyoung wrote:
September 15 20, 8:59 pm
I feel odd about it. In reality, I probably only have twenty years left, at most, although my father lived to be 79, my mother is 90, and three of my grandparents lived into their eighties or nineties. But I do have to be realistic and assume that I could easily die in the next few years.

When I look in the mirror, I still think of myself as I did when I was in my twenties--not having much power, trying to make ends meet, and so on. I don't feel old--I feel like I've had the same struggles since graduate school. Yet my son is now grown and living abroad, and my daughter graduates from high school this year, and she's definitely moving out. I'll be an empty nester for the first time.

I think death will become real for me when my mother passes. I've been responsible for my mother's bills and medical payments for nine years, but it's hard to think about your own mortality when a parent is still around. It's a family connection that's existed all my life, and which I've taken for granted. But she will probably die within the next few months--if not from breast cancer, then one of a dozen other ailments. Seeing her age, and reading all the medical reports about this problem or that problem, watching her mental decline, finding out that she's had at least one stroke, and possibly two--I'm much more aware of quality of life than I was just a couple of years ago.

Right now, the adjustments I've made as I age are relatively minor: taking my glasses off when reading, stretching every day to overcome muscle tightness, stepping up strength exercises to maintain, keeping lists to keep track of different tasks I have to do--but age is definitely catching up to me. I'll feel it more starkly when my daughter leaves home and my mother dies.
I think in the same terms, often gauging my remaining time by looking at how long my ancestors lived. I’m already 4 yrs older than my grandfather was (died at 64). My dad was 85 but his last few years were lost to Alzheimer’s. Reaching my dad’s age means I’ve only got 17 yrs left. :shock: My mom died in 2015 at 90 and the kid flew the coup in 2012 and those milestones did have an impact on me as well.

Retirement coinciding with the onset of the pandemic has been been the biggest factor affecting my sense of mortality. I went from feeling invigorated at the freedom and eager to start traveling the country and the world to essentially becoming a shut-in. I feel like the last year has aged me more than just the passage of time. It felt like I went from having a challenging, invigorating career and all the relationships that go with it to near total isolation overnight. While I hope we can at least make a road trip or two this year, it’s looking like 2022 before any overseas travel.

Looking forward to life after lockdown.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

When this is all over, I'd really like to grab a beer with Rad (again) and Sigh (for the first time).

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

heyzeus wrote:
March 2 21, 8:30 am
When this is all over, I'd really like to grab a beer with Rad (again) and Sigh (for the first time).
Count me in.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

This thread is blowing my mind.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

IMADreamer wrote:
March 1 21, 10:39 pm
I turned 40 last week. I remember growing up when my aunts would turn 40 and it was a big deal, over the hill and all that. I never understood it really...Until I turned 40. It scares me how fast time is going. It scares me to know that I'm half way through this ride and I still really haven't figured out what the hell the point of any of it is.

I remember when my Dad turned 40. He seemed so young and in his prime, but I don't feel that way. I don't feel good most days. My back hurts all the time and anxiety gets the best of me more than it doesn't, even though I'm really good at not showing it. Quit frankly I'm tired. I'm not saying there aren't a lot of good times ahead, but I just feel like I've been there and done that with most everything and there are no real milestones to look forward to.
This. I turn 42 in May.

I feel old and anxiety gets the best of me as I get older. I have to really force myself to enjoy things these days.

I have started working out everyday not to look better but to build some strength and stamina and just to feel better. I have a home gym weight machine and I do a full upper body workout on it each day that consists of 10 or 11 sets. I don't go for high weight but just a lot of reps and want to make it something sustainable where I don't get sore or won't do it. I try to walk a half mile to mile each day too.

But damn, I feel old.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

GeddyWrox wrote:
March 2 21, 8:52 am
heyzeus wrote:
March 2 21, 8:30 am
Count me in.
Maybe later this summer if fans are allowed back at Busch? 8-)