Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Freed Roger »

thrill wrote:
January 21 21, 10:12 am
Freed Roger wrote:
January 15 21, 3:29 pm
The Beer gut control still remains a WIP but the mental aspects exponentially better this way.
Brother, I know of a zero-calorie, organic, and anti-inflammatory intoxicant that makes exercising more tolerable, outdoor activities more vibrant and peaceful, and has 0 lingering hangover effects. For $20 on venmo I will tell you what it is.
it makes a lot of sense for me. I am probably the outlier amongst river rats -not having holistic intoxicant on hand

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

I turned into fat tub of goo last year. Back in the saddle but it will be a long, uphill climb for sure.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I'm down about 15 pounds since September but haven't changed my eating habits at all. What has changed is that I'm not on my feet all day at work and constantly walking around. I told them last Saturday that I wanted a promotion to management at the big store (four times the size of the one I was in and does more business) and the idiots gave it to me so now I'm really getting a lot more activity in during the day. Thankfully I had yesterday and today off because my feet were killing me by Wednesday night.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

think of randy
Marshall
Hi Eric, you mentioned that Arozarena transformed due to doing a lot of pushups while in quarantine, and I'd heard that narrative elsewhere too. Is it really possible for pushups to make that much difference?

Eric A Longenhagen
The dude is yoked now and is hitting the ball way, way harder in a measurable way. So, yeah.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Earlier in this thread you may recall I went from 235 pounds to around 185. I’m sitting at 188 now but given the pandemic and my eating habits I’m not too concerned about it. If I want to lose that weight I feel like I can do it.

HOWEVER the pandemic as been a totally disaster for my physical fitness. Due to inactively and poor WFH ergonomics my body was basically breaking down and I felt really old for the first time in my life (I’m 43). My issues included my shoulder dislocating several times, a horrible back issue that caused me to hardly leave my bed, neck strains, and carpel tunnel issues (which is why I wasn’t posting here much). It’s been very mentally taxing.

Consequently, I decided to go ALL IN on getting back in to shape. First off I purchased one of those Aeron chairs which has helped with my back and carpel tunnel issues. I’m also seeing a physical therapist 2x a week for my shoulder which will end this week. No surgery needed! Next week I’ll start PT for my back. Additionally, I hired an elite physical trainer 2x a week who is working with my physical therapist. I plan to stick with this guy for years. He’s a true professional with years of experience and a degree in exercise science. My only exercise goal is to strengthen my body so I can age better. It’s very different type of exercise than I did in my 20’s where I just focused on mirror muscles for the ladies. He’s working muscles and testing flexibility in ways I haven’t done in years, if ever. Many of the exercises use my natural body weight in odd positions (bird dogs, planking , resistance bands, etc). It’s humbling and I'm not where I want to be, but the early results have been fantastic. The aches and pains have been pretty much been cleared up.

What I’m doing is very expensive and a huge privilege, but I feel like I’m getting a lot of value. I’m also feeling much more optimistic about my later years. I’m ALL IN.
Last edited by Michael on March 3 21, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Michael wrote:
March 3 21, 1:48 pm
Earlier in this thread you may recall I went from 235 pounds to around 185. I’m sitting at 188 now but given the pandemic and my eating habits I’m not too concerned about it. If I want to lose that weight I feel like I can do it.

HOWEVER the pandemic as been a totally disaster for my physical fitness. Due to inactively and poor WFH ergonomics my body was basically breaking down and I felt really old for the first time in my life (I’m 43). My issues included my shoulder dislocating several times, a horrible back issue that caused me to hardly leave my bed, neck strains, and carpel tunnel issues (which is why I wasn’t posting here much). It’s been very mentally taxing.

Consequently, I decided to go ALL IN on getting back in to shape. First off I purchased one of those Aeron chairs which has helped with my back and carpel tunnel issues. I’m also seeing a physical therapist 2x a week for my shoulder which will end this week. No surgery needed! Next week I’ll start PT for my back. Additionally, I hired an elite physical trainer 2x a week who is working with my physical therapist. I plan to stick with this guy for years. He’s a true profession with years of experience and a degree in exercise science. My only exercise goal is to strengthen my body so I can age better. It’s very different type of exercise than I did in my 20’s where I just focused on mirror muscles for the ladies. He’s working muscles and testing flexibility in ways I haven’t done in years, if ever. Many of the exercises use my natural body weight in odd positions (bird dogs, planking , resistance bands, etc). It’s humbling and I'm not where I want to be, but the early results have been fantastic. The aches and pains have been pretty much been cleared up.

What I’m doing is very expensive and a huge privilege, but I feel like I’m getting a lot of value. I’m also feeling much more optimistic about my later years. I’m ALL IN.
Once he's got you all trained up and an expert in working out, I humbly suggest you share this knowledge by leading GRB Zoom fitness sessions for the rest of us.

I'm freaking walking around here permanently hunched over like Mr. Burns after a year of working from my couch/dining room table.

I did finally get a bike again after years without one, so that's a start. It's like 50 degrees right now so I think I'll got for a ride while I "work from home."

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

im often reminded of this when i think of my workout routine in my late 30s

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

G. Keenan wrote:
March 3 21, 2:07 pm
Once he's got you all trained up and an expert in working out, I humbly suggest you share this knowledge by leading GRB Zoom fitness sessions for the rest of us.

I'm freaking walking around here permanently hunched over like Mr. Burns after a year of working from my couch/dining room table.

I did finally get a bike again after years without one, so that's a start. It's like 50 degrees right now so I think I'll got for a ride while I "work from home."
In all seriousness according to my trainer if most guys did like 2-5 min of birddogs and planks in the morning everyday it would clear up a lot of issues for most men. If you're like me, in the beginning you'll be shaking like a leaf with bad balance and not holdings things for very long. Now I'm at the point where I'm doing more challenging variations, timing and reps. You have to focus on your form and be patient with yourself.

For me the end goal is to get my body safely ready for dead lifts. That and pilates are the holy grails for dudes like me with creaky backs and weak core strength.

Obviously I'm not a doctor so YMMV.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Stress can be a killer for fitness and in general. And all stress is fairly equal to our body, be it work-related, lack of sleep or workout stress. We produce stress hornones.

Thus when covid hit a year ago, and all sort of personal stressful things going on life, and all my trail races cancelled, gym closed,- I refocused my fitness on low-stress activity - activity/exercise with almost no-anaerobic high stress to it. Slow and easy and heart rate training run/walks.

I also got more into outdoor stuff, primarily SUP paddling and hiking. This winter, I've been trying new places locally or in a different way. for example, a couple times i've run a trail in woods
at night by myself. Man, if you want to make yourself feel alive, the senses really kick in when you hear [expletive] nearby.
anyways, once you feel like you have some confidence in fitness base, use it do something you enjoy.

I was no pain- no gain type my entire life. I am not at any sort of peak fitness to PR in a 5k or whatnot - but am surprised by how well this regime maintains weight, strength, fitness. and most importantly peace of mind.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Freed Roger wrote:
March 3 21, 5:36 pm
I was no pain- no gain type my entire life.
I was the same in my 20's.

A lot of modern fitness experts have moved away from old school weight lifting. Obviously if you want to bulk up you gotta do it, but the vast majority of people like me are way better served by doing stuff like like Pilates. Not only do you activate and strengthen tons of important core muscles that standard old school lifting struggles with, but you also gain balance, flexibility and range of motion. All those things serve you really well as your body ages. Also, if done properly, Pilates has a lower impact to your body compared to most other workout techniques, so the risk of injury is lower. Another nice benefit is it's something you can do at home without a lot of equipment. You just need a floor and a mat.

My wife goes to a Pilates studio at my gym and it's full of professional athletes (Bear, Blackhwks, etc) and old men working on their backs. It's really amazing stuff. I know in my future I'm going to do some lifting like deadlifts, but I don't really foresee myself doing stuff like bench presses. I have seen the light.
Last edited by Michael on March 3 21, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.