"The Wire" Appreciation Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: "The Wire" Appreciation Thread

Post by ghostrunner »

January 5 now for the HD version.

David Simon has a long thoughtful post about the difficulties and advantages of the format change. I encourage watching the videos.

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I can’t freakin believe it’s been this long since the upgrade to HD happened. That feels like yesterday.

Anyway, there’s an exchange in a thread on Yo Gabba Gabba between me and GK about letting my son watch The Wire when he’s 11 or 13. From around 2010. A little late, because he’s now 15, but we just started it last week. Still as good as the first time I saw it. What a treat this is gonna be.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

ghostrunner wrote:
March 6 21, 11:02 pm
I can’t freakin believe it’s been this long since the upgrade to HD happened. That feels like yesterday.

Anyway, there’s an exchange in a thread on Yo Gabba Gabba between me and GK about letting my son watch The Wire when he’s 11 or 13. From around 2010. A little late, because he’s now 15, but we just started it last week. Still as good as the first time I saw it. What a treat this is gonna be.
I'm saving up my time and mental energy for a full rewatch of the Wire, and I really can't wait. My son will be 15 in 2027, so that seems like a great time!

My neighbors had never seen the Wire, and partially on my urging, they watched the whole series this year. Every day I'd ask them where they were in the series, and how it was going for them. They were bigger fans of season 2 than I was. And season 4 hit harder for them (I didn't have kids when I watched it, and even then, it annihilated me). I was waiting til they got to the episode where
[SHOW]
Omar gets got
and as expected, it was brutal for them.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Favorite thing I’d forgotten (so far) is the pair of lazy cops, and one of them gets injured and decides to retire early, then tries to talk his lazy partner into throwing himself down the stairs so he can join him.

Lazy partner is on the stairs, in the middle of working his nerve up and makes a halfhearted attempt just as McNulty and Kima walk through the door and he just plays it like he maybe lost a step or maybe isn’t feeling well. I don’t even know how to describe it. It’s weird and awkward but he just hugs the wall and they walk right by him with a cursory look. Then he just walks in a minute later to the daily meeting like nothing happened. It’s so good. Forgot how funny it is at times.

Same episode as the crime scene investigation where Bunk and McNulty drop all the f bombs.

Oh, and the same episode where Bodie escapes juvy by just pushing a mop all the way to the exit.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

For some reason, I enjoyed season 2 much, much more the second time through.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

R.I.P. Omar Little. You were the best.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Smith Corks One wrote:
September 6 21, 6:47 pm
R.I.P. Omar Little. You were the best.
shocking and terrible

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Michael K. Williams was a master. This really sucks.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

O's broadcaster showing some love