Let's Talk about sweet cars

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
obucard
Perennial All-Star

Re: Let's Talk about sweet cars

Post by obucard »

I admit I'm somewhat partial to the Subaru Forester:

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Popeye_Card wrote:
March 10 21, 4:22 pm
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
March 10 21, 3:24 pm
What's the appeal of the new bronco? I find myself drawn to it for some reason despite it having a small engine, limited towing capacity, little room to transport anything, smallerish tires, and more in common with a subaru outback (not a dis) than the OJ Ford Bronco.

ETA: I priced one out using the outer banks package (apparently a 1.5L engine is all that available in that package), added the towing package and some other stuff and it came out to be like 36K or something. With a towing capacity of less than a moderate sized boat. Seems like you're paying for an SUV and getting a car.
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
March 10 21, 4:09 pm
I thought I would be excited about the new Bronco. I saw one today as I was out and about. Hated it.
Ford created a lot of confusion by releasing a Bronco Sport, which is basically a squared off Escape, and the Bronco - which is the full-size beast.

FB, I imagine you saw the Sport since those have been the only ones released thus far. I agree that they are very bland in-person. I am hoping the full-size are much better.

And AW, ditto on what you spec’ed. I don’t think a V8 is available which is a shame, but there is a 2.7L V6 with 310 hp and 400 ft-lb., which is pretty respectable.
You created confusion by comparing a full sized Bronco to a compact Rav4. :wink:

FWIW, I really love the Bronco. Earlier I said Toyota line-up is above average in aesthetics to other mainstream brands. The Bronco is certainly above that. I love big boxy SUVs. However, the Bronco expensive, less practical/comfortable for daily use than its peers and will likely be relatively unreliable. You've got to make some significant compromises if you actually want to own one.

For reference:

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Michael wrote:
March 10 21, 4:37 pm
You got to make some significant compromises if you actually want to own one.
I feel like this is true of any car/truck/suv ever made.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
March 10 21, 4:39 pm
Michael wrote:
You got to make some significant compromises if you actually want to own one.
I feel like this is true of any car/truck/suv ever made.
Honestly, for 95% of people a mid-level Rav4 pretty much does everything you can ask of it. I can't say that about cars designed for performance, off roading or worksites. The only practical problem with a Rav4 is it might be small for larger families

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Michael wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
March 10 21, 4:22 pm
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
March 10 21, 3:24 pm
What's the appeal of the new bronco? I find myself drawn to it for some reason despite it having a small engine, limited towing capacity, little room to transport anything, smallerish tires, and more in common with a subaru outback (not a dis) than the OJ Ford Bronco.

ETA: I priced one out using the outer banks package (apparently a 1.5L engine is all that available in that package), added the towing package and some other stuff and it came out to be like 36K or something. With a towing capacity of less than a moderate sized boat. Seems like you're paying for an SUV and getting a car.
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
March 10 21, 4:09 pm
I thought I would be excited about the new Bronco. I saw one today as I was out and about. Hated it.
Ford created a lot of confusion by releasing a Bronco Sport, which is basically a squared off Escape, and the Bronco - which is the full-size beast.

FB, I imagine you saw the Sport since those have been the only ones released thus far. I agree that they are very bland in-person. I am hoping the full-size are much better.

And AW, ditto on what you spec’ed. I don’t think a V8 is available which is a shame, but there is a 2.7L V6 with 310 hp and 400 ft-lb., which is pretty respectable.
You created confusion by comparing a full sized Bronco to a compact Rav4. :wink:

FWIW, I really love the Bronco. Earlier I said Toyota line-up is above average in aesthetics to other mainstream brands. The Bronco is certainly above that. I love big boxy SUVs. However, the Bronco expensive, less practical/comfortable for daily use than its peers and will likely be relatively unreliable. You've got to make some significant compromises if you actually want to own one.

For reference:

They should just stop calling the RAV4's of the world "SUV's". They are cars now, since cars don't really exist anymore in the US.

My wife and I are seriously considering the full-size Bronco in their second year, but yeah I'll have to ride in it first to commit. Boxier SUV's like Wranglers are fun as hell, but pretty uncomfortable for long commutes and road trips. The Bronco's interior looks a bit more upscale, and some Fords have ridiculously comfortable seats, so I'm hoping for the best. As far as reliability goes, that's a crap-shoot with pretty much any American vehicle. We've had a Grand Cherokee for several years now, and despite Jeep's long-standing tradition for "quality", we've had no issues. Though I will admit I was pretty nervous driving it across I-80 last month when it was -22 degrees outside.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I didn't know there was a full size Bronco. I like that.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Popeye_Card wrote:
March 10 21, 4:55 pm

They should just stop calling the RAV4's of the world "SUV's". They are cars now, since cars don't really exist anymore in the US.
The old-school SUV you're referencing are dying a quick death. The day's of a stripped down "utility" vehicle based on truck platforms is basically dead. Consumers don't want the terrible interiors, rough ride quality and poor gas mileage. Toyota just canceled the legendary Land Cruiser for this very reason. Conversely, the new Land Rover is a serious off-road machine, but it as has a luxury interior and drive modes that smooth out the suspension. Purest are upset about it, but those consumers are a niche within a niche that's under a rock. Judging by this post you're not part of that niche:
Popeye_Card wrote:
March 10 21, 4:55 pm
The Bronco's interior looks a bit more upscale, and some Fords have ridiculously comfortable seats, so I'm hoping for the best.

You're going to see a similar modern SUV design ethos with the Bronco however you want to categorize it. Personally I'm all for it. With the nostalgia glasses off, those old school SUVs suuuuck.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Yeah that's really cool.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

The full size bronco is barely bigger than the 4 door wrangler so it’s not very big itself. It looks big in photos next to the smaller sport, but it ain’t big which I was hoping for, but oh well.

The tiny bronco sport is stupid.