Re: Jim Edmonds: 20 Years Later

Post by st.lewis11 »

A great Cardinal....should've been in the HOF

Tags:

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

As Cardinals fans, a lot of us didn't know exactly what we were getting with Edmonds but the Angels organization had been watching him for years. What were they possibly thinking?

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

Richie Allen wrote:
March 23 21, 6:15 pm
As Cardinals fans, a lot of us didn't know exactly what we were getting with Edmonds but the Angels organization had been watching him for years. What were they possibly thinking?
I'd seen him while watching plenty of Angels games on local tv out here, & it was easy to see he was darn good. But I also remember hearing rumors like he wasn't that popular among teammates, prima donna/cocky attitude, a flashy hotdog, etc.
Of course, I have no way of knowing if any of that was true.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I can't think of a time in any sport in such high leverage situations where a guy had such a large impact on two games in such a short (game) time frame than the 04 nlcs game 6 and game 7. He ends game 6 with a walk off home run in the 12th inning to send the series to a game 7, then in the first inning of game 7 with, what 1 out, he saves 2 runs with a catch that probably has a 5% chance of being caught.

What was the Win Probability prior to his homerun in game 6? Maybe 65%? He took it to 100. What's the Win Probability going down 2-0 with a runner on 2nd and 1 out in the top of the 1st? Stick with 65%? Vs 2 outs 0-0 runner on 1st and 2nd? What's that 50ish%? By my made up but probably not too far off math, he added half a win in the span of 2 outs of game time spanning over two games.

There are a lot of clutch performances at the ends of games (Reggie Miller catching fire at MAdison Square Garden, Pujols bomb off lidge, etc etc etc). But it's tough to have such a large impact at the beginning of the game outside of baseball. I'd guess.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

st.lewis11 wrote:
March 23 21, 8:41 pm
Richie Allen wrote:
I'd seen him while watching plenty of Angels games on local tv out here, & it was easy to see he was darn good. But I also remember hearing rumors like he wasn't that popular among teammates, prima donna/cocky attitude, a flashy hotdog, etc.
I might be totally making this up but wasn't there a concern about his durability due to the way he played in his early days with the Angels? Either way; it was good for the Cardinals so that makes me happy.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Let us never forget:

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

CardsofSTL wrote:
March 24 21, 8:07 am
st.lewis11 wrote:
March 23 21, 8:41 pm
Richie Allen wrote:
I might be totally making this up but wasn't there a concern about his durability due to the way he played in his early days with the Angels? Either way; it was good for the Cardinals so that makes me happy.
Yep, now that you brought that up, I seem to recall that also.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Possibly my favorite ballplayer?

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

thrill wrote:
March 24 21, 2:25 pm
Possibly my favorite ballplayer?
Yeah, me and my brothers were recently trying to come up with our 5 favorite Cardinals of all time and you immediately think Brock and Gibson but I really only saw them play from 1970 on, and rather seldom at that (and never in a post season), so a lot of the focus was on 2000-15 and I couldn't think of anyone from that era that I liked more than Edmonds.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I was born in 1979 so my favorite Cardinals are:

- Willie McGee
- John Tudor
- Ozzie Smith
- Jim Edmonds
- Yadi Molina
- Matt Morris