TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by Jocephus »

Michael wrote:
March 24 21, 11:17 am
My wife and I were talking last night and we both realized we hardly watch netflix anymore. Is it me, or has the prestige tv taken a back seat? When I look at their top 10 list it's a bunch of poorly reviewed movies and stuff made for teenagers. Personally, I'm finding myself watching more stuff on Hulu and Amazon. I also got a year sub from Peacock for super cheap (it mostly sucks, but whatever).

I was one of the first waves of people to sign up to their streaming service back in the day, but today I decided to cancel. I likely be back in 6-12 mos if they build up some good content. I'm suspect HBO Max is more of what I'm looking for.
this actually really resonates hah. i've been thinking these last few weeks/months, i'm not really getting much out of netflix. never been a hardcore user but it was always nice. i too started early with netflix, getting dvds, then both dvds and online, then just online...i remember getting grandfathered in on a price increase but now that never happens and with the recent increase they did, i'm just meh on the service. i shouldn't keep giving them money and think i will unsubscribe soon and give hbo max a try for a bit.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Netflix does have decent shows but they are so few and far between these days. I kinda liken them to AMC, where AMC had their nice runs of shows that would be worth subscribing to, but then the well went dry. Or they have one show worth watching.

Netflix, i guess at this point its Ozark and that's it. Mindhunter would be worth keeping the sub for, but who knows if that's even coming back (ironically one of their best shows of all time).

They do have a nice doc library, but since they are netflix produced, you could literally just cancel your sub and come back when the new season of Ozark (or what have you) comes back.

Like Michael mentioned, HBOMax might be more of a bargain. Their library appears to be a little better and they have better quality hollywood produced movies dropping.

Netflix's self-produced content has definitely slipped and now they are scrambling even more since they are losing rights to everything. Not really a good recipe.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Mindhunter is basically done. I thought season 2 was a mild disappointment anyway.

Black Mirror, and to a lesser extent Russian Doll, are the only Netflix shows where I'm really looking forward to the next seasons. Season 1 of Big Mouth was great, but I think season 2 went too far with being gross so that one is off the list.

Netflix is now full of cheap to produce junk that "drives engagement". It's become a data driven entertainment dystopia.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Having the Turner Classic Movies section on HBO is really nice. Lots of stuff you can't find elsewhere, online rental included.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

one thing i noticed...netflix has had some, pseudo-documentary series like, "toys from our past" or "history of swear words". maybe they shouldn't even be classified as documentary like...more like info-tainment. i watched some of them and they were fine background noise but ultimately seem liked, a hair above vh1 "remember the 90s" programming.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I should have mentioned - Netflix also has some fun docs and stand-up comedy. I also like the "toys from our past" series. However, the other services have similar content. For history docs I'm finding some of the best stuff is on youtube. For example, I really like the documentary style of channels like Historia Civilis.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

G. Keenan wrote:
March 24 21, 10:17 pm
heyzeus wrote:
March 24 21, 9:00 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
March 24 21, 1:30 pm
I do wish Netflix would focus a bit more on quality than quantity. It has been a long time since they have come out with a new show where the first season has been fantastic. Other than the limited runs like Queen's Gambit.
Did you watch Bojack Horseman, and if not, could you do so now please?
I tried, but just couldn't get that into it. I think I made it maybe halfway through the first season, maybe a bit further. Does it get better?
It gets much better. It also eventually becomes a different show in a pretty seamless fashion. Instead of a comedy about an arrogant former sitcom star, you gradually realize you're watching a dark descent of addiction, selfishness, and internalized trauma, but also an unanswerable question: can you overcome/recover from that? The show never stops being funny, but it also involves a ton of reckoning for the bad things its protagonist has done, and the bad things that happened to him that made him this way. All in a cartoon about a horse who is sad.

It's one of the more harrowing and breathtaking things I've ever watched. Give it a shot if you have time.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Popeye_Card wrote:
March 24 21, 11:49 pm
heyzeus wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
I do wish Netflix would focus a bit more on quality than quantity. It has been a long time since they have come out with a new show where the first season has been fantastic. Other than the limited runs like Queen's Gambit.
I sure did. And you are sorta making my point - they haven’t come out with a show like that in a while.
Oh I'm not trying to make the point that Netflix is good. The really good shows are few and far between, and Queen's Gambit is the only newish thing I've watched that I really enjoyed. Just wanted to heartily endorse Bojack before you abandon the service.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

heyzeus wrote:
March 25 21, 10:46 am
G. Keenan wrote:
March 24 21, 10:17 pm
heyzeus wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
I tried, but just couldn't get that into it. I think I made it maybe halfway through the first season, maybe a bit further. Does it get better?
It gets much better. It also eventually becomes a different show in a pretty seamless fashion. Instead of a comedy about an arrogant former sitcom star, you gradually realize you're watching a dark descent of addiction, selfishness, and internalized trauma, but also an unanswerable question: can you overcome/recover from that? The show never stops being funny, but it also involves a ton of reckoning for the bad things its protagonist has done, and the bad things that happened to him that made him this way. All in a cartoon about a horse who is sad.

It's one of the more harrowing and breathtaking things I've ever watched. Give it a shot if you have time.
Cool, I will. Thanks! I'm almost done with Deep Space 9 which I never watched back in the day. Once I'm through that I'll give Bojack a shot again.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Deep Space 9 is the best star trek series. I hope you are loving it.