TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by thrill »

Michael wrote:
March 29 21, 7:24 am
I'm kind of surprised original cast movies so well on your list considering TOS is #7 on your list.
They are charming, campy, and soothing to me in the same way Roger Moore Bond movies are. Reminds me of childhood winter sick days when you get to watch whatever is on deep cable instead of going to school.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

That's kind of the way I feel about TOS. The dated aspects are a feature, not a bug. Another dated favorite series of mine is the original "The Twilight Zone". It's fun going back to the dawn of television. You can tell they were still figuring things out. It was a very experimental time with camera angles and story telling. Also, the sexism, red scare, etc stuff can be kind of shocking/funny.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

thrill wrote:
March 29 21, 7:14 am

1) TNG
2) Original Cast Movies
3) DS9
4) Voyager
5) TNG Cast Movies
6) Picard
7) Original Series
8) Discovery

I have not watched Enterprise
Pretty close to spot on to my where my list would be; if I made a list. I admit that sometimes the series down the list will swap places depending on my mood. TNG is always first.

You should watch Enterprise. It's not the best Trek series by any stretch; but they have moments of greatness. And some pretty dull moments as well; but you take the lumps with the lollipops.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

CardsofSTL wrote:
March 29 21, 9:02 am
You should watch Enterprise. It's not the best Trek series by any stretch; but they have moments of greatness. And some pretty dull moments as well; but you take the lumps with the lollipops.
I am going to. By the time Voyager came around I was no longer interested in Star Trek, but I am now currently watching it for the first time. I just got to Season 5. I'll start Enterprise after and then I will have seen all of the non-animated Trek.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

thrill wrote:
March 29 21, 9:33 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
March 29 21, 9:02 am
I am going to. By the time Voyager came around I was no longer interested in Star Trek, but I am now currently watching it for the first time. I just got to Season 5. I'll start Enterprise after and then I will have seen all of the non-animated Trek.
Don't know what's keeping you from the Animated Series...

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I binged Flight Attendant over the weekend and Penny from BBT is hot.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

ghostrunner wrote:
February 24 21, 2:21 pm
Michael wrote:
February 24 21, 11:01 am
I watched the first season of The Expanse on Amazon, and I'm really struggling with it. It's a mystery box show, which I'm personally not a huge fan of and I don't think the central plot is particularly interesting. I'm also not super digging any of the characters. I know The Expanse has a lot of fans, but I don't think I'm going to bother with season 2. It just isn't for me.
I’d say stick through Season 2 if you can. To me the most interesting part is the Earth/Mars/Belter stuff and that gets better as it goes, and my conception of it after 5 seasons is not a mystery box show in the way that say Westworld is. Amos is probably the best main character, and there’s a couple supporting Belter characters that jump on in seasons 2 and 3 that became my favorites later. It’s not perfect and it does get slow at times. At its best it’s Game of Thrones in space with the various factions at odds or semi-reconciling with each other. Also helps if you like space scifi in general.
I'm through season 2 and I really like this show. It's extremely well written, and there's so many interesting story arcs for main and tertiary characters. The main character (Holden) is up and down IMO, but I find the socio-political, sci-fi, and character aspects all equally entertaining which is uncommon.