St. Louis Blues 2020-21 Offseason and Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: St. Louis Blues 2020-21 Offseason and Season

Post by GeddyWrox »

Personally, I think I'm hoping they take Dunn. He was in the dog house for much of the first half of the season. He probably won't ever be a top line D-man. Any of the other exposed players would really sting.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Also, Vegas doesn't participate in the draft. I get why they don't have to, but they're so good, it just doesn't seem fair! LOL

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

GeddyWrox wrote:
April 30 21, 9:56 am
Personally, I think I'm hoping they take Dunn. He was in the dog house for much of the first half of the season. He probably won't ever be a top line D-man. Any of the other exposed players would really sting.
But this...

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

HA, yeah, that was CLASSIC

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I'd expose Dunn before both of Krug/Faulk and Scandella. I like his game, but he's a bit redundant with Krug as a LH offensive defenseman. In an ideal world you hang onto him, but with having to (hopefully) re-sign Schwartz and pay bumps to Thomas and Kyrou, there may not be enough salary room for him anyway.

albertmvpujols
All-Star

Post by albertmvpujols »

Popeye_Card wrote:
April 30 21, 8:55 am
albertmvpujols wrote:
April 30 21, 3:19 am

All of those RFA's are, unfortunately, eligible to be drafted in the expansion draft. I don't think the Blues have anybody who has played much time this year at all that wouldn't be eligible to be drafted.

Capfriendly has a good tool to use for the expansion draft: https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle
Just click on the Blues logo and either go 7f/3d/1g or 8 skaters + 1 goalie.
That's the site I was working off of. It notes "Players who meet or are projected to meet the exposure requirements are highlighted in green", and none of the 2021 RFA's are in green, so I assumed they do not meet the exposure requirements.
I think the exposure requirements they are referring to are more referring to this but I'm unsure:
"Teams must expose two forwards who under contract in 2021-22 and have played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season, or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Of the goaltenders who will be exposed, at least one must be under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a goaltender is exposed who is a restricted free agent, he must have already received his qualifying offer"

I assume those in green haven't met the games requirement and can't be counted as one of the two each team must expose that meet that requirement.

I think I agree that losing Dunn isn't a massive loss as he's a bit redundant on this team and we likely have a direct replacement in Perunovich pretty soon.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

albertmvpujols wrote:
April 30 21, 1:44 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
April 30 21, 8:55 am
albertmvpujols wrote:
April 30 21, 3:19 am

All of those RFA's are, unfortunately, eligible to be drafted in the expansion draft. I don't think the Blues have anybody who has played much time this year at all that wouldn't be eligible to be drafted.

Capfriendly has a good tool to use for the expansion draft: https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle
Just click on the Blues logo and either go 7f/3d/1g or 8 skaters + 1 goalie.
That's the site I was working off of. It notes "Players who meet or are projected to meet the exposure requirements are highlighted in green", and none of the 2021 RFA's are in green, so I assumed they do not meet the exposure requirements.
I think the exposure requirements they are referring to are more referring to this but I'm unsure:
"Teams must expose two forwards who under contract in 2021-22 and have played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season, or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Of the goaltenders who will be exposed, at least one must be under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a goaltender is exposed who is a restricted free agent, he must have already received his qualifying offer"

I assume those in green haven't met the games requirement and can't be counted as one of the two each team must expose that meet that requirement.

I think I agree that losing Dunn isn't a massive loss as he's a bit redundant on this team and we likely have a direct replacement in Perunovich pretty soon.
I'm just not sure how it works for 2021 RFA's being "under contract for 2021-2022". Technically they are not under contract until they sign a deal, though the team still controls their rights.

As I'm trying to find out for certain, I was reminded that if we do not protect Schwartz, Seattle would be able to negotiate with him and other unprotected UFA's in a 48 hour window before the draft. They could still draft Schwartz to fulfill the 1 player per team rule, then not sign him too. I'd still lean towards not protecting him, though he would be an attractive guy for the Kraken to sign as a solid building block.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

I was starting to feel pretty good about the way the team has been playing. But then, two games in a row against MN they gave up a 3-1 lead and allowed it to go to OT (winning 1 and losing 1).

This team is good but not great. Assuming we hang on to the 4th playoff spot, I think Vegas dispatches us pretty easily in 5 or 6 games. I hope I'm wrong though.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

GeddyWrox wrote:
May 3 21, 8:59 am
I was starting to feel pretty good about the way the team has been playing. But then, two games in a row against MN they gave up a 3-1 lead and allowed it to go to OT (winning 1 and losing 1).

This team is good but not great. Assuming we hang on to the 4th playoff spot, I think Vegas dispatches us pretty easily in 5 or 6 games. I hope I'm wrong though.
The blown leads are a bit concerning, but overall the team is playing fairly well down the stretch. Since the start of April when the Blues started on the grueling run against the top 3 teams (Colorado, Vegas, Minnesota), they've gone 7-5-1 against them. I think the series between all of these top 4 teams (including the Blues) are going 6 or 7 games, and could go either way. Vegas has been cruising lately, winning 11 of 12, but only 1 of those wins are against the top teams. They'll close out with 5 of 6 against the top dogs (including 2 against the Blues), so we'll see if they keep their edge sharp going into the playoffs.

Yeah, chances are we'd lose against Vegas in the first round, but I don't think there's any shame in that - they are bona fide Cup contenders.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Popeye_Card wrote:
May 3 21, 9:45 am
GeddyWrox wrote:
May 3 21, 8:59 am

The blown leads are a bit concerning, but overall the team is playing fairly well down the stretch. Since the start of April when the Blues started on the grueling run against the top 3 teams (Colorado, Vegas, Minnesota), they've gone 7-5-1 against them. I think the series between all of these top 4 teams (including the Blues) are going 6 or 7 games, and could go either way. Vegas has been cruising lately, winning 11 of 12, but only 1 of those wins are against the top teams. They'll close out with 5 of 6 against the top dogs (including 2 against the Blues), so we'll see if they keep their edge sharp going into the playoffs.

Yeah, chances are we'd lose against Vegas in the first round, but I don't think there's any shame in that - they are bona fide Cup contenders.
Absolutely. They've clearly been a powerhouse all season. Our division has been been "LV and COL and everyone else" all season.

Weird things always happen in the playoffs, but if it's not LV vs Col in the second round, I'll be somewhat shocked.