Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Re: Coronavirus

Post by AdmiralKird »

cardinalkarp wrote:
July 18 21, 8:16 am
But on top of that there’s research out there that actually says the vaccine itself is contributing to the variants….so you know, there’s that as well.
This information brought to you by Chinese Bat Weekly.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

AdmiralKird wrote:
July 19 21, 2:04 am
cardinalkarp wrote:
July 18 21, 8:16 am
But on top of that there’s research out there that actually says the vaccine itself is contributing to the variants….so you know, there’s that as well.
This information brought to you by Chinese Bat Weekly.
Instead of being so flippant about and and honestly and huge d-bag…maybe actually b curious if what I’m saying could potentially have some merit, granted it’s going against “the vaccine is wonderful!!” narrative that’s shoved down everyone’s throats.

Do you not think there’s a possibility that the vaccine could be doing this?? You’re right, it’s much easier to just blame the unvaccinated.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I’m not sure why it would even matter if the vaccine was causing variants asl long as it’s effectively neutralizing most of the threat. That’s what it’s for.

None of what’s being said in that article sounds alarming or concerning to me.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

ghostrunner wrote:
July 19 21, 5:05 pm
I’m not sure why it would even matter if the vaccine was causing variants asl long as it’s effectively neutralizing most of the threat. That’s what it’s for.

None of what’s being said in that article sounds alarming or concerning to me.
But that’s what the issue is, more and more fully vaccinated people in other countries are being admitted into hospitals w/ COVID (likely with the Delta variant) and people on here (and everywhere for that matter) are blaming the unvaccinated for the arise of variants, which may not be the case. The potential is there that the vaccine itself is also driving variants.

That and I provided the article because AK decided to come in w/ the snide remark about what I said coming from “Chinese Bat Weekly”.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

For one, AW’s video isn’t suggesting the vaccine is causing a rash of infections. Or that the vaccine doesn’t work. I didn’t watch but the notes on the video (just assuming he knows what he’s talking about) say that’s probably because it’s running out of unvaccinated population to infect. So breakthroughs are starting to gain ground, relatively.

It also mentions that it’s important to note that infections are much milder as a result of the infection, and that the risk is long Covid. From what I can tell both deaths and hospitalizations are way down. Even as cases go up. The pool of hospitalized is much smaller and of that smaller pool it’s possible it may soon be more vaccinated than not.

I also think your characterization of the npr article is wrong. It’s not making any definitive statement about to what extent vaccines are driving variant production. Just that they could, particularly if the vaccine loses potency over time.

As to whether unvaccinated are to blame for variants, it’s been said repeatedly that the virus spreads more easily among those not vaccinated and you’re more likely to get symptoms that would cause you to pass it on. If you think you can evade it successfully, more power to you but nothing that’s been posted here goes against what we generally know already.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Couple quick things.

I've been watching John Campbell (guy in video) for quite a while. His background is in family medicine iirc and he's not an epidemiologist. His comment about 'running out of unvaccinated people to infect' iirc was a quote or attributed to the article he was using as his source which wasn't a medical source again iirc. Didn't go back and re-watch. Overall, he presents information in a very straightforward, matter of fact way which I appreciate. And he links all his data in his videos. So, the data he presents is credible and his commentary can be judged on its own; he makes it rather clear when he's speculating and he doesn't do it all that often.

One other thing to keep in mind with unvaxxed/vaxxed cases (not just in UK) is that there's a correlation between age and vaccination status (the older being more likely to receive the vaccine and they young either unable or less likely). There's also an obvious correlation between severity of disease and age with the likelihood of poor outcomes increasing as one ages. Given that the population most at risk for poor outcomes is now more likely to be vaccinated, it would make sense that they'll be the ones reporting symptoms despite being vaxxed (which has never claimed to be 100% effective at preventing symptoms).

Re: unvaxxed responsible for variants. Every variant has come from a largely unvaccinated population (Inda and South America recently) and previously obviously vaccines weren't available. It'll be interesting to see what happens as viruses rip through vaccinated areas and if it can adapt/mutate such that the vaccines (or natural infections) lose protective measures. As I've said before, protection comes via the immune system recognition of the spike protein and the spike protein is incredibly effective at binding to the hosts ace2 receptor....is there a modification such that the spike protein remains adept to binding to the ace2 while camouflaging itself from the immune system? I don't know. Not a virologist.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

What the fresh hell is this???? Hannity is on board?? Pigs just flew. LOL!!

https://www.tiktok.com/@mostlymature/vi ... copy_url=0

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Crazy to watch the UK. One of the most vaxxed nations in the world see such a large spike in cases. They're at 60+ daily new cases per 100K people which is a 7 day rolling average of about 45K new cases nation wide. They were at 57K new cases back in January at their peak. For comparison, Arkansas is leading the charge in America at 36 daily new cases per 100K people. Yet, the UK hospitalizations which generally follow exactly along with new cases are very muted compared to the previous spike with about 600 daily new hospital admissions compared to 3,700 in the previous spike. All sorts of stuff to think about. Anyway, they apparently just celebrated 'freedom day' which is the I guess 'reopening' of everything. I guess we'll see what happens.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/uk-d ... admissions

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
July 21 21, 6:50 am
Crazy to watch the UK. One of the most vaxxed nations in the world see such a large spike in cases. They're at 60+ daily new cases per 100K people which is a 7 day rolling average of about 45K new cases nation wide. They were at 57K new cases back in January at their peak. For comparison, Arkansas is leading the charge in America at 36 daily new cases per 100K people. Yet, the UK hospitalizations which generally follow exactly along with new cases are very muted compared to the previous spike with about 600 daily new hospital admissions compared to 3,700 in the previous spike. All sorts of stuff to think about. Anyway, they apparently just celebrated 'freedom day' which is the I guess 'reopening' of everything. I guess we'll see what happens.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/uk-d ... admissions
Based off very early indications in UK, IMO the vaccine definitely mitigates the symptoms of COVID keeping one out of the hospital (which is obviously a very good thing), BUT the vaccine efficacy of one catching COVID is much lower than anticipated.

And one of the reasons we aren’t seeing these numbers in the US is because testing for COVID is no longer being done on the vaccinated, unless a person is admitted into the hospital so we’re seeing a manipulation of numbers.

It seems to me that the US, and now the UK were both preemptive in dropping the precautionary measures of mask wearing & social distancing. But again, and this is my opinion that was one of the “buy in’s” the US used for the vaccine push….get the vaccine and you no longer need to mask and social distance….you can go on about your lives like COVID is in the past!! If people had to keep doing what they were doing pre-vaccine you would see an even lower amount of people interested in the vaccine. Again, this is just my opinion. But I think because of the carelessness of our government the end is definitely not in sight.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

If I was King and because vaccines are now easily available, proven safe, and effective.

- Lift all pandemic restrictions and mandates.
- Make vaccination mandatory for school attendance at all age levels.
- Allow businesses to discriminate based on vaccination status.
- Any unvaccinated person who needs hospitalization is lower priority than any other patients except elective surgery patients.
-