WS GM6: Braves(Fried) @ Astros(Garcia) 7:09 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Re: WS GM6: Braves(Fried) @ Astros(Garcia) 7:09 PM CT

Post by cardsfantx »

Socnorb11 wrote:
November 3 21, 8:41 am
The core of that team is Freeman, Albies, Acuna, Riley, Swanson, Fried. Sure, they filled some holes from outside of the organization, but both the Astros and the Braves have a foundation built on home-grown players. The Cardinals need to do better there. Hopefully, we're seeing some signs of that.
besides arenado and goldshmidt, our entire starters in the field are homegrown players. and we had more wins than the braves.

they got lucky/hot just like we did in 2006

Tags:

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

cardsfantx wrote:
November 3 21, 10:19 am
Socnorb11 wrote:
The core of that team is Freeman, Albies, Acuna, Riley, Swanson, Fried. Sure, they filled some holes from outside of the organization, but both the Astros and the Braves have a foundation built on home-grown players. The Cardinals need to do better there. Hopefully, we're seeing some signs of that.
besides arenado and goldshmidt, our entire starters in the field are homegrown players. and we had more wins than the braves.

Their impact players are home grown and inexpensive. Ours are not. It's why they can afford to fill in the gaps around them.

The Braves had a +134 run differential. The Cardinals had a +34 run differential. That's with Acuna only playing half the season. We can agree to disagree, but you're not going to convince me that the Cardinals were as good as the Braves this year.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Yeah Braves had better BaseRuns and better Pythag standings.

Braves definitely had some things go their way but they have well rounded team including better pitching than the Cardinals.

Not sure I’d say Lester and Happ are equivalent to Soler/Joc/Rosario/Duvall additions.

Lester had like 0.1 fWAR with Cardinals. He was ass.

Rosario/Soler/Duvall/Joc had 2.9 fWAR in their time as Braves.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Socnorb11 wrote:
November 3 21, 11:32 am
cardsfantx wrote:
November 3 21, 10:19 am
Socnorb11 wrote:

Their impact players are home grown and inexpensive. Ours are not. It's why they can afford to fill in the gaps around them.

The Braves had a +134 run differential. The Cardinals had a +34 run differential. That's with Acuna only playing half the season. We can agree to disagree, but you're not going to convince me that the Cardinals were as good as the Braves this year.
freeman and goldy make the same exact amount so doesn't matter whether one was home grown (22 mil).

albies (fWAR 4.2) and swanson (fWAR 3.2)? our MI is about the same and also home grown. (dejong and Sosa split and had an identical 1.6 fWAR each; Edman with a 2.3 fWAR)...so ATL had an advantage of a 1.9 WAR combined total.

they have fried, and we have flaherty.

Riley was not good till this year in MLB. and I'll take arenado all day long, who yes, isn't home grown obv. I do not expect Riley to repeat regardless of MiLB.

Acuna is obviously a given; one of the best in MLB.

so that's one guy...one.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

cardsfantx wrote:
November 3 21, 12:59 pm
freeman and goldy make the same exact amount so doesn't matter whether one was home grown (22 mil).

albies (fWAR 4.2) and swanson (fWAR 3.2)? our MI is about the same and also home grown. (dejong and Sosa split and had an identical 1.6 fWAR each; Edman with a 2.3 fWAR)...so ATL had an advantage of a 1.9 WAR combined total.

they have fried, and we have flaherty.

Riley was not good till this year in MLB. and I'll take arenado all day long, who yes, isn't home grown obv. I do not expect Riley to repeat regardless of MiLB.

Acuna is obviously a given; one of the best in MLB.

so that's one guy...one.

The Cardinals gave up assets to acquire Goldschmidt and Arenado. The Braves didn't have to do that, because they already had capable guys on their roster (from their system). Therefore, they were able to give up assets to fill gaps with guys like Soler, Rosario and Pederson........... as well as bullpen pieces.

Now, I suppose the Cardinals could have give up MORE assets to fill gaps, but at some point you run out of expendable assets. That's why it's so important to build a foundation from within.

A couple of years ago, the Cardinals gave up Zac Allen and Sandy Alcantara to get Ozuna, because they needed a difference-maker in the lineup (because their system had failed to develop one). Sure would be nice to have Allen and Alcantara on the current roster, wouldn't it? If only the Cardinals could have developed a decent outfielder at the time, their pitching would be extremely good right now. I will give the Cardinals credit......... it looks like they're doing a little better now at developing offensive talent.

The Cardinals are using fringe prospects to acquire players to fill out their lineup. The Braves are using fringe prospects to acquire players to get them over the top.