movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: movies

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Certainly better than the originals. I really liked 2 and 3. In a way it adds to my frustrations that everything is a reboot or sequel and almost all of it is good.

It would be cool to see some new visions in blockbusters, but all the promising storytellers are doing Marvel and Star Wars. What if Chloe Zhao got all the money to do whatever she wanted? Or Taika got all that Star Wars money with only the directive to make it set in space or be fantasy or sci-fi action?

I guess one upside is that the barrier for entry to make a film and have it seen are incredibly low.

You can waste an afternoon with these.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/USKJLjXnJkw[/youtube]

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I saw the new Robert Eggers movie The Northman in a theater. It was the first time I've been in one in years.

Anyway, Eggers first movie The \/\/itch is one of my favorite movies ever. His next movie, The Lighthouse, left me cold. It was a little too artsy fartsy for my tastes. Although The Northman isn't as good as The \/\/itch I feel like it's a return to form. The whole movie is pretty badsass.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Michael wrote:
May 19 22, 1:00 pm
I saw the new Robert Eggers movie The Northman in a theater. It was the first time I've been in one in years.

Anyway, Eggers first movie The \/\/itch is one of my favorite movies ever. His next movie, The Lighthouse, left me cold. It was a little too artsy fartsy for my tastes. Although The Northman isn't as good as The \/\/itch I feel like it's a return to form. The whole movie is pretty badsass.
VVitch just did not do anything for me upon initial viewing, but i just listened to a podcast that added a different perspective to the movie as opposed to a standard horror film, which is the mindset i went into it with my first viewing.

I also think an issue i had was the dialect. Hard to enjoy when you couldn't understand what was being said.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Chip and Dale was a fun watch. Very Roger Rabbit universe.

In this day and age, when existing characters are such precious commodities--and the only thing any budgeted movie is allowed to play with , it was pretty shocking to see the Lonely Island guys got the go ahead for so many out of universe (as far as I know) characters:
[SHOW]
Transformers, Randy Marsh, Ugly Sonic from the first trailer, Rick and Morty (more or less), He-Man, Voltron, R. Crumb, E.T., and a lot more.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

go birds wrote:
May 24 22, 9:30 am
Michael wrote:
May 19 22, 1:00 pm

VVitch just did not do anything for me upon initial viewing, but i just listened to a podcast that added a different perspective to the movie as opposed to a standard horror film, which is the mindset i went into it with my first viewing.

I also think an issue i had was the dialect. Hard to enjoy when you couldn't understand what was being said.
IMO The VVitch should be seen with subtitles so I totally understand your perspective.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

This is what copyright law has denied us until now

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

"Rubber"

I searched this thread, just to see if this movie had ever been mentioned, and @docelIis posted about this movie 10 years ago. I made the mistake of watching the 2nd half of it the other night, after reading the description of it being about a serial killer tire that has fallen in love with a woman. Also, it was described as a horror/comedy.

I tuned in to see how a tire would kill... anyone. Well, it's as weird as one might imagine. The tire emits some weird noise (seemingly for the audience's sake) while vibrating, and then your head explodes. Oh, and the sheriff asks to get shot twice at point blank range, and even though he bleeds, just keeps on walking and talking like nothing happened. Not sure what that was about.

And no, I'm not going to bother spoilering those facts because it's a 10-12 year old movie and no one should watch it anyway.

There are no notable actors in this, as far as I could tell. As for the humor, maybe I missed something in the first half of the movie, but there were very few funny parts. I mean, I guess it's kind of funny watching a tire sit in a chair and watch a car race on TV, but...

Bottom line: I want those 45 minutes back, and I am sad they will never be refunded. The silver lining is I didn't waste the time to watch the first half.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

ghostrunner wrote:
May 26 22, 3:01 pm
This is what copyright law has denied us until now
I hate this.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Top Gun: Maverick is the most fun I've had in a movie theater since probably Knives Out.

For context; Psycho Goreman is the most fun I've had with a movie in the last decade; JoJo Rabbit is probably the best the movie I've seen in the last five years.