PRO wrestling thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: PRO wrestling thread

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

thrill wrote:
May 25 22, 8:54 am
I wonder if they're just trying to find a faction that actually sticks?

I really like the super elite's incredible dumb guy energy. I like Jericho's heel turn in which he got lean, feathered his hair, and started wearing pink eye liner, but he's the only great performer out of the bunch (what is up with the canadian guy with the perfectly square head and body who speaks with a Chicago accent? Just use a Canadian accent dickweed). I like blackpool combat club but that's still not fully baked. I like the best friends, but they don't really have a narrative hook. I like members of the dark order, but I'm not quite sure what the point is. Team Taz is cool, mostly because Ricky Starks is hilarious. But none of them really seem to have narrative goals.
I think the Elite will stick but is going to splinter when Kenny Omega comes back. The Jericho Appreciation Society isn't bad, but from a "sports entertainment" role, I agree he's the only one who can perform (Daniel Garcia is a great wrestler, though.) Blackpool Combat Club (which is probably where Garcia fits better IMO) isn't done yet-- I am expecting some adds, maybe Cesaro/Claudio when he's ready to return. Best Friends are fine but whatevs to me. Dark Order has outlived its purpose since Brodie died and since Hangman won the title-- they need to split and let John Silver go on to bigger things. I really like House of Black-- Malakai isn't really a character who needs a title, but there's nothing wrong with strapping him up either. I just want more of him and Andrade on my TV.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Dang that hardys promo was sick

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

MCG, do you know what’s going on with MJF? Is this a work?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

thrill wrote:
May 29 22, 9:19 am
MCG, do you know what’s going on with MJF? Is this a work?
I don’t know, but I don’t think it’s a work. There’s no way AEW would have him no-show a meet and greet so they could then refund everyone who paid $100.

I honestly don’t know if he’s going to wrestle again in AEW, but I’m glad Wardlow got his star-making match at least. MJF is such a strange situation. Obviously I’m big on labor getting what’s theirs, but it really seems like he’s overplaying his hand. He wants more money, and Tony Khan is willing to give it to him if he’ll extend his deal. That’s pretty standard in sports contracts, but MJF wants more pay and no extension.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I kind of love that he’s such a true believer in every carny aspect of pro wrestling. He seems like he legitimately thinks he can be bigger and richer from the business than Vince McMahon. True delusion and commitment makes for legendary pro wrestling figures for great and bad reasons. Fascinating guy.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

He’s absolutely a traditionalist about wrestling, too. His match with Wardlow last night had the territory feeling that you go out on your back… and he absolutely got destroyed. It definitely had a “last match” quality to it.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Honestly, I think that's a bad move. Even if he's coming back, keep him off TV for a bit.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Well that was something. He put the entire broadcast on tilt.