movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Re: movies

Post by vinsanity »

mikechamp wrote:
September 21 22, 11:12 am
The Election - Stars Matthew Broderick and a very young Reese Witherspoon and Chris Klein. Based in Omaha, it's a dark comedy about human failings rooted in jealousy. It was... ok, but that's because Reese is always awesome in my book.
@heyzeus recommended this to me and I liked it. I think it's one of those things that works better in context of the times - like as a movie it's not timeless or flawless but as an answer to America Pie it's incredible.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

The last time I saw Election, I was watching I was like 20 and watching it with my gf, her parents, and her 14 year old little sister. There's a certain line near the beginning of that movie that DID NOT GO OVER WELL.

BrntOrngStud
Veteran Player

Post by BrntOrngStud »

mikechamp wrote:
Wanted to post about a handful of movies I've seen over the past week:

Pain & Gain - This is a true story about a group of 3 FL bodybuilders who kidnapped, tortured and scammed a wealthy guy out of all his possessions, while alienating his family and friends. It's not as morbid as it sounds, as the bodybuilders (played by Mark Walhberg, The Rock and Anthony Mackie) bungle their way through the entire ordeal. The wealthy guy is played by Tony Shaloub and Ed Harris plays a P.I.

I didn't think I would enjoy it, but I got sucked into it and did not regret it. Mild recommendation.

The Election - Stars Matthew Broderick and a very young Reese Witherspoon and Chris Klein. Based in Omaha, it's a dark comedy about human failings rooted in jealousy. It was... ok, but that's because Reese is always awesome in my book.

G.I. Joe: Retaliation - This stars The Rock, Bruce Willis, Adrienne Pawlicki and some other people I don't remember. It's hokey, even for a popcorn summer-type movie. I do not recommend.
I completely agree about Reese. When I was a teenager, I had a very big crush on Reese and loved her in Election. But I liked Cruel Intentions the most.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

BrntOrngStud wrote:
September 21 22, 6:56 pm
mikechamp wrote:
Wanted to post about a handful of movies I've seen over the past week:

Pain & Gain - This is a true story about a group of 3 FL bodybuilders who kidnapped, tortured and scammed a wealthy guy out of all his possessions, while alienating his family and friends. It's not as morbid as it sounds, as the bodybuilders (played by Mark Walhberg, The Rock and Anthony Mackie) bungle their way through the entire ordeal. The wealthy guy is played by Tony Shaloub and Ed Harris plays a P.I.

I didn't think I would enjoy it, but I got sucked into it and did not regret it. Mild recommendation.

G.I. Joe: Retaliation - This stars The Rock, Bruce Willis, Adrienne Pawlicki and some other people I don't remember. It's hokey, even for a popcorn summer-type movie. I do not recommend.
I completely agree about Reese. When I was a teenager, I had a very big crush on Reese and loved her in Election. But I liked Cruel Intentions the most.
There was someone who wasn't Sarah Michelle Gellar screaming "I want to [expletive]" in that movie?

Cruel Intentions has a very funny history with me. I think that all the female leads made it out and the male leads....had careers. Is interesting.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

heyzeus wrote:
September 21 22, 1:43 pm
The last time I saw Election, I was watching I was like 20 and watching it with my gf, her parents, and her 14 year old little sister. There's a certain line near the beginning of that movie that DID NOT GO OVER WELL.
There's a certain scene in the first 30% of that movie that probably didn't go over well with that viewing audience, either.

:shock:

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Reese is an incredible, all-around human being.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

my memory says i've referenced this documentary before but hey here's a nice version on YT for free.

nsfw as they show boobies and horror/violence clips from the movie catalog
Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films (2014)

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I'm watching Licorice Pizza since it's free on Amazon Prime and I like PTA but I can't say I'm wild about it. There doesn't seem to be much to it other than "boy likes girl, who is older than him." But I do like seeing The Waitress from It's Always Sunny pop up as his mom.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Licorice Pizza was just kinda odd. In normal PTA fashion the dialogue and all were there. But the plot was just boring, and honestly a bit creepy if he was supposed to be 15 and she 21 or whatever.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

heyzeus wrote:
September 27 22, 10:47 am
I'm watching Licorice Pizza since it's free on Amazon Prime and I like PTA but I can't say I'm wild about it. There doesn't seem to be much to it other than "boy likes girl, who is older than him." But I do like seeing The Waitress from It's Always Sunny pop up as his mom.
I loved it. Loved watching the legendary Phillip Seymour Hoffman's son debut. He was great. It's just a coming of age story set in the 70s in the valley. What more do you need?

The Sean Penn, Bradley Cooper, and John Michael Higgins cameos are hysterical.