TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by ghostrunner »

I saw this clip recently, so I'm not in any hurry. Though agree that dumb shows are ok sometimes.

I've gotten a real Sons of Anarchy vibe, like thrill suggested, from this and other clips.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Like SoA, it gets increasingly more ridiculous as it goes on. I knew I was out when Kevin Costner got shot by an assault rifle, but his cell phone, which he hates, took one of the bullets and saved his life. Do you know how little resistance a cell phone would put to a bullet? Like it's not even there. Also, too much sexual violence. When it was in Wind River, I was like, ok this story is a little exploitative and gross. We've got the white savior thing going on as well. Then when Yellowstone kept it up, I realized that all credit Taylor Sheridan had built with me for Sicario and Hell or High Water was gone. He's only got a few pitches in his arsenal and I've seen enough of them. It also doesn't help that my dad is obsessed with Yellowstone and talks about it like it's real life (just like he did with SoA).

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

I've seen the two prequels (well up until they are out of new episodes) to Yellowstone but I have not seen the main show. This is probably really stupid and petty of me but I've kind of been reluctant to get into the series because it seems like all the right wing Trumper people I know are super into it so much that they have Yellowstone hats and hoodies. So part of me says if they like it, I'll probably hate it. Then a week or so ago everyone was sharing this short video of one of the actors talking about Ronald Regan said some star spangled [expletive] and freedom and that really turned me off. The other part is that the original is scattered all over hell in the streaming world. It's not even on Paramount which is who made the damn thing. So I just haven't bothered yet.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

IMADreamer wrote:
January 18 23, 1:20 pm
I've seen the two prequels (well up until they are out of new episodes) to Yellowstone but I have not seen the main show. This is probably really stupid and petty of me but I've kind of been reluctant to get into the series because it seems like all the right wing Trumper people I know are super into it so much that they have Yellowstone hats and hoodies. So part of me says if they like it, I'll probably hate it. Then a week or so ago everyone was sharing this short video of one of the actors talking about Ronald Regan said some star spangled [expletive] and freedom and that really turned me off. The other part is that the original is scattered all over hell in the streaming world. It's not even on Paramount which is who made the damn thing. So I just haven't bothered yet.
well it is a show about ranching so yea, it's prolly gonna have more fans that lean conservative. but fear not, it went super woke season 4 so if you can hold out til then, you might find it enjoyable.

coincidentally that's also when the show really started to go off the rails

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

That clip is bonkers though. Nobody talks like that. Why would this tour guide be so nonchalant about her guests getting up close to a bear? Why is this probably well-off Asian tourist talking about sharing land? Why is Costner going "this is America, we don't share land". It all just sounds like someone put Twitter personalities into a tv script. And that's an iconic moment?

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

ghostrunner wrote:
January 19 23, 11:40 am
That clip is bonkers though. Nobody talks like that. Why would this tour guide be so nonchalant about her guests getting up close to a bear? Why is this probably well-off Asian tourist talking about sharing land? Why is Costner going "this is America, we don't share land". It all just sounds like someone put Twitter personalities into a tv script. And that's an iconic moment?
Yeah that's pretty much it.

The show is a combination of sexual violence, dudes being dudes, vigilantism, and dumb dialog setup's designed to allow Kevin Costner to drop pithy libertarian lines about toughness and individualism. The beat is always "a lib/young person/city slicker" says something no one in real life is dumb enough to say and then Costner gives a flinty smirk and then says something like that. Boom, just like that, millions of wal mart shoppers are entranced. It is a show about people who own giant trucks for practical reasons for people who own giant trucks for impractical reasons.

The only thing realistic thing about the show is that not a single main character has a life that even comes close to approaching happiness. That's realistic because every main character is a terrible human who's choices remove happiness as a possibility for their life.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

All this hype by @thrill makes me want to watch "Yellowstone" right now.

No, not really.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I could see liking it for a while until the novelty wore off. Same as SOA or Peaky Blinders. Just a genre of show where you start seeing the seams and the pattern.

Kind of spitballing here, but anyway:

One thing that ties shows like this together - SOA and PB at least - is there's an apparent code or set of rules where the family always sticks together even though they may be terrible. Yet what happens is they violate the code consistently enough that it starts seeming ridiculous, and there's never a real price to pay. Or it just carries on too long. The show won't give up the dynamic of these characters being together. SOA had several opportunities when I watched it and never took advantage of it. Or if they did it was too late and I lost interest. I started seeing the same thing in PB and bailed. Jax never left the gang. Tommy never leaves crime behind. Not saying any of that's in Yellowstone, but I get a strong enough whiff of those shows that it puts me off.

Succession isn't perfect, but it avoids this really well. The family is seemingly always together but you never feel sure that they're aligned. It's constantly screwing with the dynamics, and it's less clear how much the characters like and hate each other and themselves. There is no code to violate, and they don't worry about keeping the characters likeable. Yet in the process they manage to make them likeable in dribs and drabs while they're being [expletive]. In contrast to those other two it took me a couple episodes, quitting, and then rewatching to get into it.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

thrill wrote:
January 19 23, 1:24 pm
ghostrunner wrote:
January 19 23, 11:40 am
Yeah that's pretty much it.

The show is a combination of sexual violence, dudes being dudes, vigilantism, and dumb dialog setup's designed to allow Kevin Costner to drop pithy libertarian lines about toughness and individualism. The beat is always "a lib/young person/city slicker" says something no one in real life is dumb enough to say and then Costner gives a flinty smirk and then says something like that. Boom, just like that, millions of wal mart shoppers are entranced. It is a show about people who own giant trucks for practical reasons for people who own giant trucks for impractical reasons.

The only thing realistic thing about the show is that not a single main character has a life that even comes close to approaching happiness. That's realistic because every main character is a terrible human who's choices remove happiness as a possibility for their life.
they also nailed the part about californians ruining any state they flock to

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

on another note--any white lotus heads? great show that i slept on for awhile. i'm too lazy to scroll thru the thread