Scott Rolen gets into Hall of Fame

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Re: Scott Rolen gets into Hall of Fame

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Just super. We've been treated to some legendary hot corner talent. I look forward to his visit with Chip in the booth for a couple innings.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I wonder if they’ll retire his number now that he’s in the HoF. Is that how it went with Sutter? I know that’s Robinson’s number but seems to me they hadn’t officially retired it yet.

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
January 24 23, 7:47 pm
I just mean Rolen (got to count his Beltre level defense too) is deserving to be on that wall. Seems like national guys get it. I don’t think Boyer is bad I just think Rolen is so underrated.

He might be the first short-window Cardinal up there but he deserves it and the number retirement too. This ain’t a Lee Smith type situation.
Sutter is on the wall and only played 4 seasons with the Cardinals - Rolen played 6 with the Cardinals. I honestly don't think either one of the them must be on the wall, but I would make the case that Rolen would be on it over Sutter.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Rewatching the entire 2004 NLCS. Happy for Rolen, glad he got in.

WAR God
Everyday Player

Post by WAR God »

He’d have over 400 HRs if not for the shoulder injuries.

He was favorite part of the MV3.

Mdcardfan60
AA Minor League Player

Post by Mdcardfan60 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
January 24 23, 6:38 pm
Could see him wearing Reds hat or blank honestly
There is zero chance he goes in with a Reds hat. His worst years were there. Only played one full season. His Reds years were the reason it took so long to get in.

The only reasonable choices are Cardinals or Phillies. He played 6 and a half years in Philly, 126 ops+, 2 all star, 0 postseason. 5 and a half in Stl, 127 ops+, 4 all star, 4 postseason, 2 WS, one championship. There’s really no question. He should go in as a Cardinal.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Mdcardfan60 wrote:
January 25 23, 8:58 am
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
January 24 23, 6:38 pm
Could see him wearing Reds hat or blank honestly
There is zero chance he goes in with a Reds hat. His worst years were there. Only played one full season. His Reds years were the reason it took so long to get in.

The only reasonable choices are Cardinals or Phillies. He played 6 and a half years in Philly, 126 ops+, 2 all star, 0 postseason. 5 and a half in Stl, 127 ops+, 4 all star, 4 postseason, 2 WS, one championship. There’s really no question. He should go in as a Cardinal.
Didn't Rolen also have a pretty acrimonious split from the Phillies? Guess it could be said he did with TLR and the Cardinals too though.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

That was mostly TLR though, not the Cardinals or their fans as a whole. In Philadelphia, it was management and the fans as I recall.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
January 25 23, 9:29 am
That was mostly TLR though, not the Cardinals or their fans as a whole. In Philadelphia, it was management and the fans as I recall.
That's my recollection as well. Rolen is highly regarded in StL still among fans as far as I know.

NDark
Veteran Player

Post by NDark »

Rolen also is in the Cardinals HOF and has come back since his departure. He is not in the Phillies Wall of Fame (I think that is what they call it) or has he gone back at least from my limited google searching.

My guess is Cardinals or blank. He is quoted as saying he hasn't made a decision and will consult with the Hall.