The Last Word

Re: 2019-2020 NBA

Post by Socnorb11 »

thrill wrote:
May 23 23, 1:47 pm
Socnorb11 wrote:
May 23 23, 1:42 pm
It would be the same for Portland.
Well unfortunately for the Trailblazers, they've never drafted a sentient loaf of European bread and developed him into the best basketball player on the planet.
True. They could have though.

Like Denver, their day will come. It might be 5 years or it might be 45. Either way, I recommend staying true to the team.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

thrill wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Well unfortunately for the Trailblazers, they've never drafted a sentient loaf of European bread and developed him into the best basketball player on the planet.
Our giant Euro-Savior was trapped behind the iron curtain until his knees we're crumbly like the Berlin Wall. He would have made Bill Laimbier cry and Michael Jordan lose.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
May 23 23, 4:40 pm
thrill wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Our giant Euro-Savior was trapped behind the iron curtain until his knees we're crumbly like the Berlin Wall. He would have made Bill Laimbier cry and Michael Jordan lose.
Should cut out the middle man and just draft Jordan imo.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

thrill wrote:
May 24 23, 8:19 am
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
May 23 23, 4:40 pm
thrill wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Should cut out the middle man and just draft Jordan imo.
Shut up. No one wants that shoulder shrugging children's heartbreaker. You have six championships. The only thing I have is alternate universe fan fiction to try and hold down memories of the 2000 WCF and Greg Oden. Peak Arvydas in the pinwheel. That's where I want to go.

I hope that sounds jokey. I don't think I nailed the tone. A few years ago I probably would have typed the same thing angrily. I bet I did, actually. Then Damian Lillard led me to a higher level of being, and maybe I worked through some [expletive]. Besides, are we sure the book is closed on Sam Bowie?

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I would rather have Damian Lillard's career than Kevin Durant's. Being a living legend in Portland > mercenary rings and constant Machiavellian scheming.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

thrill wrote:
May 24 23, 9:43 am
I would rather have Damian Lillard's career than Kevin Durant's. Being a living legend in Portland > mercenary rings and constant Machiavellian scheming.

100%

It's why I love these Nuggets. They built it the old school way, like those Jordan Bulls teams. Draft a generational player and patiently build around him. Screw the superteam instant gratification b.s. It's gross.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I went back to look at the 2014 draft to marvel at all the players taken ahead of Jokic (including Doug McDermott, whom the Nugs drafted in rd 1), and lo and behold, the Portland Trailblazers are actually the only team that can claim they didn't miss on him.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/dr ... _2014.html

because they traded all of their picks that year.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I didn't realize that the Blazers had no picks that year.

The Nuggets definitely pulled a Pujols with Nikola. They took a chance on him, but they obviously didn't know what they were getting. It's definitely shifted the entire dynamic of the franchise, much like Albert Pujols did for the Cardinals.

Also, I know that Kroenke is justifiably despised in these parts, but he's been a great owner for the Nuggets. He hasn't hesitated to dip into the luxury tax, and he's been incredibly patient with the development process of the team. It took awhile for Jokic to become Jokic, and it wasn't easy waiting for guys like Michael Porter and Jamal Murray to get healthy. It's taken years for it all to come to fruition, and the organization has stuck with coach Michael Malone and GM Calvin Booth thru it all.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Socnorb11 wrote:
May 24 23, 3:15 pm
The Nuggets definitely pulled a Pujols with Nikola. They took a chance on him, but they obviously didn't know what they were getting. It's definitely shifted the entire dynamic of the franchise, much like Albert Pujols did for the Cardinals.
Every year it seems like there is a Euro big man prospect with that profile of not particularly explosive athleticism but excellent size, passing, and shooting and only one or two turn into players the caliber of Nowitzki and Jokic. I want to hear Denver getting more credit for developing theirs into the best player on the planet. Obviously Joker is extremely special and is just a better player than the Porzingises and the Darkos of the world, but Denver should be getting more credit for him turning into what he has become.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Go Joker. In my experience, socnorb, here’s how it plays out from here: You get right to the threshold and then the gods of basketball drop a flaming piano made of [expletive] on the group of orphans you’re taking out for ice cream.

Gotta love Jimmy Butler. Years ago at one of the lower points of Butler’s regard there were rumors of CJ for Jimmy. I don’t know how real that was. But things could have been different. That would have been a great way to not keep CJ (whom I love) four years too long and choke out Lillard’s prime.