Everday Unicorn

JD Drew has an oxygen chamber

Post by heyzeus »

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/v ... rvc=sports

Breathe in deeply: Drew draws on healthy regimen
By Karen Guregian
Boston Herald General Sports Reporter and Columnist
Thursday, March 15, 2007 - Updated: 06:47 AM EST

FORT MYERS - J.D. Drew brought plenty of baggage to his first spring training with the Red Sox
Red Sox:
There was his history of incomplete seasons. The time spent nursing various wounds. The innuendo about his lack of desire.
There was also the hyperbaric chamber.
Wait . . . the what?
You know, a hyperbaric oxygen chamber, the kind that Michael Jackson sleeps in. Drew has one, too, and he’s using it at spring training, seeking the recuperative benefits one hour before he arrives at the ballpark.
“I don’t know what (Michael Jackson) sleeps in,” Drew said before yesterday’s 3-2 loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates. “I just know there are a few athletes who use it. It’s an oxygen chamber. To be quite honest with you, I just know it works. I don’t know quite how it works, but it works.”
The Grapefruit League is a month old and already the naysayers are surprised that “DL Drew” hasn’t pulled up lame or thrown out the trick shoulder that held up the signing of his five-year, $70 million contract.
But maybe it won’t come to that. Maybe Drew has, in his own unique way, discovered a method to keep himself healthy.
Let’s just say he’s doing his darnedest to change his image, and so far it appears to be working. Drew is healthy and hitting a robust .409 after a 1-for-3 effort in yesterday’s loss.
He brought the hyperbaric chamber here from his home in Valdosta, Ga. Eventually, it’ll make its way to Boston.
“I spend an hour in there before I go to the field every day,” Drew said. “Another thing was, I was not only trying to benefit myself, but also to have some implements for my family if they were sick. I knew if I used them for myself, it would be a great avenue for others like my granny. She’s 80 and suffers from a severe arthritic condition. If I could buy it for myself, and use it for people like that, it would be great.”
Drew said former Atlanta Braves teammate John Smoltz also has a hyperbaric chamber, and spends time reaping the rewards.
Think the right fielder doesn’t want to shed his image and be a constant on the playing field?
“I talked to (Smoltz) about it, and one thing led to another. I thought, ‘Hey, this is not a bad idea. It helps me on the field, and it helps me give a good product to the team,’ ” Drew said. “I want to be there for the team and not have to worry about coming in for treatment every day.
“I felt if I could get a good treatment program working to not only prevent, but keep myself in a good state of mind and feeling good on a daily basis, that would be great.”
There’s more.
Drew has a Quantron Resonance System (it restores cell functioning and energy with the use of pulsating magnetic fields), a hi-tech infrared health sauna, a water purifier and a foot spa.
He is also on a nutritional regimen, using a meal substitute called “Living Fuel.” To his teammates, it seems like Drew never eats because all he usually has is the “Fuel” mixed in with water or juice.
Drew still does eat regular food, but maybe only once a day with his family.
“My body works well on it. I always have energy, I feel good,” said Drew, who has one homer so far this spring. “I think the biggest key for me is, I know my body better than I ever have. I know what it takes for me to get ready. I know how to prepare myself for the game.”
Last season, his first implementing all of the new meal supplements and various wellness equipment, Drew played in 144-of-162 games for the Dodgers. He was also able to hit six homers the final month of the season.
Not bad for a guy who’s supposed to be injury-prone.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

Watch, the hyperbaric oxygen chamber will break down

businessmansspecial
Perennial All-Star

Post by businessmansspecial »

Moops.

Capt_Morgan
Perennial All-Star

Post by Capt_Morgan »

maybe JD and mister JACKSON trade notes :D

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

nancy druew isnt' irhsi so he can die as far as i can tell

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

TimeForGuinness wrote:nancy druew isnt' irhsi so he can die as far as i can tell
Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, too, TFG!

Suicide_Squeeze
Veteran Player

Post by Suicide_Squeeze »

“Another thing was, I was not only trying to benefit myself, but also to have some implements for my family if they were sick. I knew if I used them for myself, it would be a great avenue for others like my granny. She’s 80 and suffers from a severe arthritic condition. If I could buy it for myself, and use it for people like that, it would be great.”
I wonder...do they use it together. :shock:
He IS from Valdosta, you know. (I lived there, so I can insult the place.)

I bet that if given the choice between using it and making a few hundred dollars extra and relieving poor old granny's joints, JD'd throw granny a few Bayer and say, "DEAL WITH IT, YOU OLD BAT!"

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

I remember seeing an ESPN story about some college football player that did this and saw great results. I'd probably give it a try too if I was an athlete and the health of my body was the key to my success.

cabby7588
All-Star

Post by cabby7588 »

sighyoung wrote:Image
Quite possibly the most underrated movie of all time (minus Baseketball.)