David Wells has diabetes

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

David Wells has diabetes

Post by heyzeus »

Shocker, I know. This is an athlete who has repeatedly missed time to gout.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib ... adres.html

Wells has new ailment: diabetes

By Bill Center
STAFF WRITER

March 19, 2007

PEORIA, Ariz. – David Wells' life changed two weeks ago when he learned he has Type 2 diabetes, also called adult-onset diabetes.

David Wells says his energy is a little low now, but he expects changes in his diet and drinking habits to yield positive results.
“Obviously, this is a concern,” the Padres' 43-year-old pitcher said yesterday. “But it's beatable. And I'm going to beat it. It's going to take some lifestyle changes. And I'm already making them.

“From the time I found out, I made changes. No more starches and sugar. No more rice, pasta, potatoes and white bread. No more fast food. I've cut out alcohol.”

That's right, Boomer Wells has given up drinking. Well, not entirely.

“I can still have a glass of wine now and then,” said Wells. “I can still run with the guys. But I've got to watch what I'm doing. I'm not drinking.

“This is a major lifestyle change. I don't want this going to Type 1 diabetes. I want to be around for a while. If you don't take care of this, it can lead to some scary stuff . . . like losing limbs. If anyone has this, it's a red flag, period.

“But if I follow the rules I've been given, there's no problem.”

Wells was talking in the wake of a spring training outing in which he gave up seven runs on 10 hits in three innings.

He blamed the effort more on the variables of spring training games in Arizona rather than the recent changes he has made. But he admitted his energy level is not what it usually is.

ABOUT TYPE 2 DIABETES

The lifelong disease develops when the body can't produce enough insulin, which enables cells to use sugar for energy, or use insulin correctly. In such cases, the sugar level in the blood can get too high and potentially cause problems with the eyes, heart, blood vessels, nerves and kidneys. Controlling blood sugar – by exercising, eating healthfully and taking medication – helps prevent serious complications.

Source: webmd.com

“I'm not blaming today on a lack of energy,” said Wells, who entered the game with “only a scoop of scrambled eggs in my stomach.”

“But I'm dying right now. Do I have as much energy right now as I should? No. But when I get the program down, I'll be fine. And I will be fine.

“If I follow my diet, I'll get back to my normal self. But I'm 6-foot-4 and 250 pounds. I need some food in me. I'm eating like a rabbit . . . salads, fish, chicken.”

Type 2 diabetes is not the only health issue facing Wells. He has battled gout at times. He is allergic to shellfish. And he has a history of high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

“But since I've been taking drugs and on this program, there has been phenomenal improvement in both my blood pressure and cholesterol,” said Wells.

As for yesterday, Wells said the results were largely preordained by hot, dry conditions accompanied by a breeze blowing toward the fences. Padres pitching coach Darren Balsley agreed.

“From what I've seen in my four springs in Arizona, sinkerball and command pitchers tend to struggle a bit more,” Balsley said after the White Sox beat the Padres 14-7 in a game highlighted by 34 hits (22 by the Sox). “I don't put a lot of stock in spring pitching lines over here.”

Neither does manager Bud Black, who served as a pitching coach for seven spring trainings in Arizona for the Angels.

Black called yesterday's game “arena ball” and said: “It was a good day to hit.”

Black and Balsley also agreed that Wells pitched better than his line.

“I think Boomer made a lot of good pitches,” Balsley said. “He was working on some things and threw a few more change-ups.”

Said Black: “His stuff was good. They just got a few balls up in the jet stream.”

Wells' line was certainly ugly. He gave up three runs in the first and four in the second – three of those coming on a Paul Konerko homer.

“I've probably done worse in conditions like this when the ball flies,” said Wells.

Asked if the outing bothered him, Wells grinned and said: “Nah . . . should it? It didn't really matter what I did, they were destined to waffle it. For me, being around so long, it's going to bounce right off me. I don't think people should be concerned or put too much into it.”

Wells compared pitching in Arizona in the spring to pitching at Coors Field in Denver.

“The lower I got the ball down, the higher it went,” said Wells. “Any time I got it down, it was off the wall. It made no sense.”

Wells said he is about where he wants to be in his preparation.

“With a few more outings, I'll be where I want to be velocity-wise. Today, I was trying to take stuff off the ball and get movement.”

Wells' spring ERA climbed to 15.26. All three of his outings have been made since he learned he has Type 2 diabetes.

“I'm going to be better and healthier than I was before,” said Wells.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

Bad news, but maybe it'll be a wake-up call. Good for him to finally get his health in some semblance of order. :)

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Wells' spring ERA climbed to 15.26. All three of his outings have been made since he learned he has Type 2 diabetes.
Blaming diebetes for his high ERA, what a copout :wink: