Mother Earth

Re: Our Outfield Looks Kinda Mediocre to Me

Post by Hungary Jack »

StL Dan wrote:
boiseCardsFan wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:
Wow. That's helpful.

Not.
Damn it Hungry, now I'm concerned about you. You seem to be a bit edgy. You OK?

Tell you what, sit back and close your eyes. Think about all those extra arms at our displosal and all the great trades that could get us some OF help. Hey, that might even be fun!

Then think about Walt Jocketty and all the GREAT deals he's pulled to keep the Cards competitive.

And for the big finish, think of the money they've got to use in a pinch.

That's a 1-2-3 trifecta of good feelings. No way you can be concerned after that.

if you still are concerned, I'd have grave doubts about whether you will enjoy this Cardinals campaign at all. Lighten up good buddy, life's too short.
I really like your style, boise.

You potatoe people are AOK.
To Hades with you guys. Our season be over.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Hungary Jack wrote:
LOL!! That's the spirit!

=D> :lol: =D>

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

boiseCardsFan wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:
LOL!! That's the spirit!

2008 is a complete loss too.

StL Dan
banned

Post by StL Dan »

Hungary Jack wrote:
boiseCardsFan wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:
LOL!! That's the spirit!

2008 is a complete loss too.
Oh, heck. Why don't we just put it all out there....nothing good is going to happen for another 24 years - yea, that's right. No more WS championships until 2030.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I say we disband on top.

TAZ
Veteran Player

Post by TAZ »

heyzeus wrote:Yes, you should be concerned. Duncan may well be the only outfielder to hit 20 homeruns this season. That would be okay...in 1985. Edmonds' health is my primary concern. Wilson, Taguchi, and even Encarnacion (Mr. League Average) are less troublesome because we know what we'll get from them, basically.
You know... I once heard that there was a game where a team won WITHOUT hitting a homerun!! Crazy... I know! :shock:

raddy
Veteran Player

Post by raddy »

TAZ wrote:
heyzeus wrote:Yes, you should be concerned. Duncan may well be the only outfielder to hit 20 homeruns this season. That would be okay...in 1985. Edmonds' health is my primary concern. Wilson, Taguchi, and even Encarnacion (Mr. League Average) are less troublesome because we know what we'll get from them, basically.
You know... I once heard that there was a game where a team won WITHOUT hitting a homerun!! Crazy... I know! :shock:
It wasn't a Cardinal game in the last 10 yrs.

ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Post by ThatGuy »

StL Dan wrote:Oh, heck. Why don't we just put it all out there....nothing good is going to happen for another 24 years - yea, that's right. No more WS championships until 2030.
I hate the Cardinals anyway, so it doesn't make any difference to me.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

The answer to the original question: Yes, you should be concerned.

I know there have been many threads about all of the question marks that the starting rotation has. But other than the infield, that's probably the strongest part of this team now.

Carpenter will most likely have another Cy Young caliber season. Wells should do very well under Duncan. Reyes seems to have gotten better stamina and is working quickly. He seemed like he handled the Dodgers' line up well (mostly opening day starters in that line up). Wainwright is expected to do very well this year. The Looper project has suddenly changed from a far-fetched theory in Duncan's head to a reality. Surprisingly, I'm alright with it.

The bullpen seems to be in shambles. Kinney is out for the season. Springer and Izzy are slowly coming back from injuries. Hancock and Johnson aren't having very good springs. Flores and Rincon have been pretty good though. Thompson is one of the stronger points, but can he handle the pressure of the 8th inning? Where has Franklin been all spring? I haven't heard much about him so I assume they don't see a big role for him. With Looper and Wainwright in the rotation, the bullpen lost some talent and some veteran experience.

The outfield is as bad off as the bullpen. Suddenly Duncan has gone from the biggest question mark to the surest thing in the outfield. The team is counting on Duncan having a similar season to last years, which will be a tough assignment. Edmonds and Encarnacion are injured, both missing spring training which means there will be an adjusting period when they return. Taguchi and Wilson are both struggling this spring so far, although Preston may be turning it on. Rodriguez and Schumaker are both doing well, but will there be room for them when Jimmy and Juan come back?

Because the outfield is so messed up, it's affecting the quality of the bench. Bennett seems to me to be more of a coach than a back-up. Spiezio seems like he'll be just like he was last year, maybe better. But can Miles effectively fill the back up middle infield role? The back up outfielders will be probably mixed and match according to how Tony feels that day. Hopefully the bench will start to form once Jimmy and Juan come back.

I realize that most of these observations are pessimistic, but I can't find any other way to look at it. We need the stars to really shine in the beginning of the season. If Pujols or Rolen struggle or get injured, I don't think the team will ever recover.

arnie.k
All-Star

Post by arnie.k »

concerned, maybe... you wouldn't be a real fan otherwise...

but, who cares...

baseball's about to start...