Cardinals Schedule for the Week?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Post Reply
Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
Posts: 28010
Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List

Cardinals Schedule for the Week?

Post by Fat Strat »

Any word on this yet? The funeral will be on Thursday, we've heard that, but are they playing between now and then?

I'm assuming that we'll just cancel the series with Milwaukee. But, that's a pretty important series that we're going to have to make up at some point in the season.

User avatar
jdk82
All-Star
Posts: 2881
Joined: April 4 07, 8:58 pm
Location: Iowa

Post by jdk82 »

I thought I heard they were flying out today for the game still.

User avatar
clevername
Bringer of FRBG
Posts: 10380
Joined: April 16 06, 7:13 pm
Location: Alabama

Post by clevername »

Gammons just said they're flying out to Milwaukee then flying down to Tupelo on Thursday.

Not going to be an easy week.

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Post by Michael »

I believe the Cards only canceled one game when DK died.

User avatar
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear
Posts: 13357
Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Location: South City

Post by JCShutout »

clevername wrote:Gammons just said they're flying out to Milwaukee then flying down to Tupelo on Thursday.

Not going to be an easy week.
I'm glad that they scheduled the funeral for the Cards' off day. It is good that the entire team will participate in the funeral. I'm sure the Hancock family will appreciate that.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
Posts: 28010
Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List

Post by Fat Strat »

Michael wrote:I believe the Cards only canceled one game when DK died.
That makes a lot of sense. Get back on the field and play ball.

I'm trying to avoid asking insensitive questions, but I'm not getting a whole lot of information or coverage down here on a Sunday. Has there been any mention of who will replace Hancock on the roster? I would think that's something that will wait until tomorrow, but I didn't know if anyone had mentioned anything on the news in StL.

User avatar
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy
Posts: 24841
Joined: July 9 06, 11:33 am
Location: Out of the Loop

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Fat Strat wrote:
Michael wrote:I believe the Cards only canceled one game when DK died.
That makes a lot of sense. Get back on the field and play ball.

I'm trying to avoid asking insensitive questions, but I'm not getting a whole lot of information or coverage down here on a Sunday. Has there been any mention of who will replace Hancock on the roster? I would think that's something that will wait until tomorrow, but I didn't know if anyone had mentioned anything on the news in StL.
I haven't heard any news, but Brian Falkenborg would be my guess.

DynamicDynamite
Veteran Player
Posts: 806
Joined: December 11 06, 9:23 pm

Post by DynamicDynamite »

was thinking either Falkenborg, or you could actually see Narvesson make his season debut and go into the role that unfortunately is now available...

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
Posts: 28010
Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List

Post by Fat Strat »

DynamicDynamite wrote:was thinking either Falkenborg, or you could actually see Narvesson make his season debut and go into the role that unfortunately is now available...
I was thinking that Narveson might be the guy up as well.

User avatar
Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song
Posts: 15528
Joined: April 18 06, 5:54 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Post by Jmodene »

To answer the question:

The Cards still have seven relievers on staff, with the recent callup of Kelvin Jimenez. With the cancellation of today's game, they don't need a fifth starter until next Tuesday, May 8 (Wells and Looper get bumped back a day, and that takes care of this Tuesday's game).

By May 8, it's possible Carpenter will be ready to go (Obviously, there's been no word on how his elbow felt after his bullpen session yesterday).

So I'm thinking it's possible we may call up an extra bat (Ludwick?) instead, to see what he can do for a week until we need that extra starting pitcher (at that point, if they decide to keep Ludwick, they could send Schumaker down).

If it's a pitcher, though, who gets the call then yes, it may well be Falkenborg, although it could also be Troy Cate since whoever gets called up would be needed as a starter in nine days.

Post Reply