June 6, 1944

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
fanforever
Retired

June 6, 1944

Post by fanforever »

Don't ever forget. That was a day of heros

Special thanks for all the men and women who serve

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/06/ ... 1040.shtml

The Heroes of D-Day

LONDON, June 4, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CBS) D for Disembarkation. A hundred and fifty five thousand Allied troops went ashore on those Normandy beaches in the very first hours. How did they get away with it?

Because D was also for Deceit. The most incredible military deceit which meant not only keeping the real plan secret, but also convincing the Germans that there was another plan – another vast American invasion force ready in Britain to hit another part of the French coast altogether. Brilliant fiction. And it worked.

D for Diligence. How else could this massive force, the biggest in history, have been brought together under one command. 5000 ships, 11,000 planes. 30,000 bombs dropped on German positions in advance. And - a stark piece of arithmetic, given today’s rapidly rising gasoline prices – Allied forces in France guzzled no less than 5000 tons of gas every day thereafter. It all had to be shipped in.

D was also for Dwight. Dwight D. Eisenhower, the General who went on to become your President. But the General who was so unsure if the plan would work that he carried in his pocket a handwritten personal apology in case it all went wrong. For many it did go wrong.

D was for Death. Hundreds mown down before their feet ever touched the sand on Omaha and Utah beaches. By nightfall on June 6th 1944 the toll of Allied dead and injured had reached 9000.

But D was for the Destruction of the Nazi regime and the Defence of freedom. Without D Day Hitler might still have been defeated, but much more slowly – and by the advancing Russians. Communism could thus have conquered all of mainland Europe, not just the East.

The D in D Day actually meant nothing at all – just a bit of meaningless military jargon. Sixty years on the true heroes, the real Private Ryans, are old and thin on the ground. Seventy years on most won't be around to tell it like it was.

So we have a D ....for Duty... to keep on remembering them – and everything they did.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

You know, I never actually know what the "D" in D-Day stood for. I just learned something. It didn't stand for anything.

Meanwhile, the Normandy invasion is one of the most amazing feats in military history, and one of the reasons I don't scoff when I hear the term "Greatest Generation." Those guys were true heroes.

TabascoElvis
Perennial All-Star

Post by TabascoElvis »

thanks for the reminder, fan

Hudler
All-Star

Post by Hudler »

Just remember that every branch of the armrd forces fought and died that day. The Army did the most dying but there were Marines on the ships, Coast Guard men ran most of the landing craft, Air Corp crews dropped the paratroopers and the Navy was in charge of the beach. This doesn't include troops from England, Canada, France, Poland, Australia, New Zealand and others.

JohnnyJay
Perennial All-Star

Post by JohnnyJay »

I can't begin to put myself in those guys place.

Easy Company Tribute (from Band of Brothers)

JohnnyJay
Perennial All-Star

Post by JohnnyJay »

stretch
Perennial All-Star

Post by stretch »

I would like to add my respect for those that charged up the beach that day. True heroes.

RIP to all that served anytime, anywhere.

Capt_Morgan
Perennial All-Star

Post by Capt_Morgan »

stretch wrote:I would like to add my respect for those that charged up the beach that day. True heroes.

++

stlmark
Perennial All-Star

Post by stlmark »

stretch wrote:I would like to add my respect for those that charged up the beach that day. True heroes.

++ If it wasn't for those men, we might have been speaking German.

M1IRONMIKE
Well hello, pilgrim

Post by M1IRONMIKE »

Quite simply that generation saved the world!