Draft Signings

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
User avatar
New Pagodi
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4219
Joined: April 18 06, 11:30 pm
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Post by New Pagodi »

Uh Oh. It sounds like they're trying to lowball Kozma.

User avatar
BW23
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12896
Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm

Post by BW23 »

I doubt it. I bet a lot of first rounders aren't signed by that time. And Kozma's probably trying to see what he's worth since he went higher than expected. He's a guy that should be signed for slot money anyway. I hope they don't go over that.

User avatar
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy
Posts: 24841
Joined: July 9 06, 11:33 am
Location: Out of the Loop

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

BW23 wrote:I doubt it. I bet a lot of first rounders aren't signed by that time. And Kozma's probably trying to see what he's worth since he went higher than expected. He's a guy that should be signed for slot money anyway. I hope they don't go over that.
I disagree with this. The only guys who usually don't sign very fast are Boras clients and those that are playing in the College World Series still. Kozma is neither.

IIRC, Rasmus signed hours after being drafted...Ottavino, not much longer than that.

Honestly, I expect that Kozma wants slot money and Dewitt's crew is trying to lowball him because they think they did him a favor by selecting him at 18. It's sad, really.

This also doesn't bode well for signing Kyle Russell.

User avatar
BW23
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12896
Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm

Post by BW23 »

There's a lot more guys than Boras' clients that don't sign in the first two weeks. And a lot of those are HS guys that have signed with good college programs. I know a couple of former first round picks from HS that basically agreed in principle to a deal the day of the draft...at least within 24 hours of being drafted. It was probably five days later before all the little details were worked out.

I'm guessing it's more that Kozma wants more than slot because of the leverage he has. I don't blame him. Even if they're close on a number right now, there's a lot of little stuff Kozma may be working on (college money, endorsements, etc.) that will just make it drag out a little longer.

I certainly don't think it has anything to do with the tired "cheap" cry we're hearing way too often these days.

User avatar
jdk82
All-Star
Posts: 2881
Joined: April 4 07, 8:58 pm
Location: Iowa

Post by jdk82 »

I was curious on what the bonus of each slot was but apparently so I emailed BA but apparently they dont have a list.


-----Original Message-----

From: Will Lingo <Willlingo@baseballamerica.com>
Subj: Re: Draft slots
Date: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:56 am
Size: 924 bytes
To: <alanmatthews@earthlink.net>

I was not able to get an official list. Best thing to do is find our
list of bonuses for past several years on the site and use that to
estimate.

Will Lingo
Editor in Chief
Baseball America
willlingo@baseballamerica.com
http://www.baseballamerica.com




On Jun 15, 2007, at 10:44 AM, <alanmatthews@earthlink.net> wrote:

> will, do you have slots for this year?
>
> --
> Alan Matthews
> BaseballAmerica.com
NIce of them to take the time to email me back when I am sure they are busy guys.

picklefork
Fringe Major League Player
Posts: 89
Joined: November 14 06, 6:02 pm

Post by picklefork »

Kozma will sign, the Cards are probably just trying to get him the lowest deal possible.

But one thing that should be noted, even know Kozma will sign he does have more leverage then most HS kids.

If Kozma did goto college he would only have to play 2 seasons and would be a draft elig. soph.

He would have turned 21 before the draft his soph year making him the rare and usually tough sign true soph....ala K.Russell.

But its unlikely he would ever be drafted higher then he is now.....he will sign soon.

User avatar
jdk82
All-Star
Posts: 2881
Joined: April 4 07, 8:58 pm
Location: Iowa

Post by jdk82 »

Cardinals signed two more guys, both undrafted free agents

Clayton Long (Auburn-Montgomery) RHP 9-1 2.61 ERA

Wayne Daman (Washington State) RHP 5-4 3.28 ERA

brak60
Single A Minor League Player
Posts: 3
Joined: June 14 07, 12:06 pm

Post by brak60 »

Add to that Clay Long's teammate Catcher Paul Vasquez. He's going to JC.

(Because I'm a new user I'm not allowed to post a link, but I can provide one to you if you want it later. )

User avatar
jdk82
All-Star
Posts: 2881
Joined: April 4 07, 8:58 pm
Location: Iowa

Post by jdk82 »

brak60 wrote:Add to that Clay Long's teammate Catcher Paul Vasquez. He's going to JC.

(Because I'm a new user I'm not allowed to post a link, but I can provide one to you if you want it later. )
Here is some stats for Vasquez

Vasquez finished his junior season batting .416 and set a new school single-season record for doubles with 25. He struck out just nine times in 254 plate appearances and drove in 63 RBI with 10 home runs. Behind the plate, Vasquez started committed just four errors with nine passed balls in 60 games. He also threw out 23 of the 53 runners who attempted a stolen base against him.

User avatar
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11727
Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
Location: Southwestern Illinois

Post by mikechamp »

jdk82 wrote:
brak60 wrote:Add to that Clay Long's teammate Catcher Paul Vasquez. He's going to JC.
Here is some stats for Vasquez

Vasquez finished his junior season batting .416 and set a new school single-season record for doubles with 25. He struck out just nine times in 254 plate appearances and drove in 63 RBI with 10 home runs. Behind the plate, Vasquez started committed just four errors with nine passed balls in 60 games. He also threw out 23 of the 53 runners who attempted a stolen base against him.
:shock:

How did this guy not get drafted by anyone?

Post Reply