That famous soccer player, will he bring attention to soccer

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
M1IRONMIKE
Well hello, pilgrim

Re: That famous soccer player, will he bring attention to soccer

Post by M1IRONMIKE »

UK wrote:
jim wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
The one thing that I don't understand, and I'm just making an observation about no one specifically, is how many baseball fans I've seen decry soccer as a boring sport with not enough scoring, and at the same time can really cherish a pitcher's duel in baseball. I guess because soccer's more fluid and there aren't as many concrete successes/failures like there are for each at bat, but still it's something I've noticed.
I can tell you that I officially went from ambivilent to downright hatred of the game when I coached youth baseball.
I don't like it b/c it takes kids away from baseball ala basketball and now Lacrosse as far as the youth is concerned, but I'm selfsih when it comes to that.

I was out at North Central College last Summer and I saw more lacrosse kids playing than baseball players.
Soccer, lacrosse, roller hockey, overzealous high school football coaches, basketball, and probably a few more sports all compete for kids in the summer and it's killing youth baseball. That more than anything is the reason more and more non americans find their way to the Major Leagues. As bad as it sounds kids today almost have to specialize in a sport at the age of 14. I couldn't be more against a kid thinking he has to concentrate on 1 sport but there are so many that do now a days its sickening.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

I don't know where these parents get the money to do that, I don't know about baseball costs for younger kids (under 14) but all those activities have to add up.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

UK wrote:I don't know where these parents get the money to do that, I don't know about baseball costs for younger kids (under 14) but all those activities have to add up.
Welcome to Geneva, and a million towns just like it. Little Johnny wants to play baseball, soccer, and hockey with uniforms as good as the pros wear and it's out with the checkbook. Throw in pitching lessons, hockey camp up in northern Wisconsin for a week, and soccer camp out at the local college for a week including food and lodging for a week and you are getting up there.

UK, travel baseball will probably run in the $300-$400 range in Geneva for a season not counting hotel stays for tournaments etc... But that's nothing compared to hockey, one friend of mine says that the estimated cost if you want your kid to play hockey from ages 7 through high school is over $100,000.

mike is right about the specialization, and it really does suck. Our local football coach at the HS, a great guy and a great coach, talks a good game. He wants you to play other sports, he would rather have you on the track team than the weight room. But, if you do, you still have to show up 2x per week before school to workout. What he really wants is not for kids to pursue other activities, but to pursue activities that will benefit the athlete on the football field.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

M1IRONMIKE wrote: Soccer, lacrosse, roller hockey, overzealous high school football coaches, basketball, and probably a few more sports all compete for kids in the summer and it's killing youth baseball. That more than anything is the reason more and more non americans find their way to the Major Leagues. As bad as it sounds kids today almost have to specialize in a sport at the age of 14. I couldn't be more against a kid thinking he has to concentrate on 1 sport but there are so many that do now a days its sickening.
I haven't seen kids play sandlot ball in years, everything is organized and it's taking a toll on how well the game is played.

Kids are obviously more gifted athletically today, but their ability to translate that athletic talent into quality baseball isn't there.

jim

Post by jim »

UK wrote:
M1IRONMIKE wrote: Soccer, lacrosse, roller hockey, overzealous high school football coaches, basketball, and probably a few more sports all compete for kids in the summer and it's killing youth baseball. That more than anything is the reason more and more non americans find their way to the Major Leagues. As bad as it sounds kids today almost have to specialize in a sport at the age of 14. I couldn't be more against a kid thinking he has to concentrate on 1 sport but there are so many that do now a days its sickening.
I haven't seen kids play sandlot ball in years, everything is organized and it's taking a toll on how well the game is played.

Kids are obviously more gifted athletically today, but their ability to translate that athletic talent into quality baseball isn't there.
Here is my wonderful town, where the fields are perfectly drug, mowed, and lined for every game, you can't even play if you want to. If the park district sees you on a field through the day they kick you off if they have already prepped the field.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

UK, travel baseball will probably run in the $300-$400 range in Geneva for a season not counting hotel stays for tournaments etc... But that's nothing compared to hockey, one friend of mine says that the estimated cost if you want your kid to play hockey from ages 7 through high school is over $100,000.
When they get to HS and play travel baseball and showcases and stuff, I bet they are spending 7500-10000 that Summer.

jim

Post by jim »

UK wrote:
When they get to HS and play travel baseball and showcases and stuff, I bet they are spending 7500-10000 that Summer.
I can just imagine the laughter of my parents when i was playing at some figure like that. Seriously, we had showcases and stuff too. It was called American Legion ball, and I recall that it was free if you were good enough to make the team.

M1IRONMIKE
Well hello, pilgrim

Post by M1IRONMIKE »

jim wrote:
UK wrote:

Here is my wonderful town, where the fields are perfectly drug, mowed, and lined for every game, you can't even play if you want to. If the park district sees you on a field through the day they kick you off if they have already prepped the field.
Sandlot baseball is only played in the movies and in hispanic countries. It is a thing of the past.
Sad very sad!
We played every damn day in the 70's and if you see one now it's almost a miracle.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

jim wrote:
They lock the field to the LL field.

My High School is finally getting a permanent OF fence and a new field, I was surprised to see that the other day. During the Fall, it was used as the FB practice field.

stretch
Perennial All-Star

Post by stretch »

Sure he'll bring more attention to soccer.

Then the majority of people that usually don't pay attention to it will watch a game and remember why that is.