[/youtube]
We're getting a free preview of the premium channel SETANTA on Dish right now. I've been enjoying the soccer a lot, I wish it would run long enough to watch the Rugby WC coming up, but I'm sure I'm getting the preview to try to get me to buy it for the WC. Anyway, last night I run past it and they're showing a hurling match. This sport is pure insanity. Only the Irish could come up with something this outrageous. And I'm part Irish so I can say that.
It's like a cross between field hockey, soccer, rugby, and lacrosse, with a dose of golf, baseball, handball, lawn darts and dwarf tossing thrown in for good measure. I couldn't help but laugh watching it. But I couldn't turn it off either.
Hurling (remember this is other sports not social)
- TabascoElvis
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 5728
- Joined: June 15 06, 8:29 am
- Location: Library of Congress? Detroit? Beyond the sun?
- Radio_Bugtussle
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 3450
- Joined: July 26 06, 9:51 am
- Location: Searching for the perfect microbrew
Re: Hurling (remember this is other sports not social)
I'm also part Irish.
I've been to Ireland a few times and I tend to descibe Hurling as "soccer played with bats and a baseball". Only the Irish indeed.
What amazed me was that hurlers I talked to in pubs thought baseball players were insane when I described things like brushback and knockdown pitches and the thrill of charging from 1B or 3B in anticipation of a bunt only to have the hitter turn on a pitch and hit a 110mph line drive right at you.
I've been to Ireland a few times and I tend to descibe Hurling as "soccer played with bats and a baseball". Only the Irish indeed.
What amazed me was that hurlers I talked to in pubs thought baseball players were insane when I described things like brushback and knockdown pitches and the thrill of charging from 1B or 3B in anticipation of a bunt only to have the hitter turn on a pitch and hit a 110mph line drive right at you.
- TabascoElvis
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 5728
- Joined: June 15 06, 8:29 am
- Location: Library of Congress? Detroit? Beyond the sun?
Re: Hurling (remember this is other sports not social)
Guess it all depends on point of view, eh?Radio_Bugtussle wrote:What amazed me was that hurlers I talked to in pubs thought baseball players were insane when I described things like brushback and knockdown pitches and the thrill of charging from 1B or 3B in anticipation of a bunt only to have the hitter turn on a pitch and hit a 110mph line drive right at you.
- Richie Allen
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 7458
- Joined: December 22 06, 1:06 am
Re: Hurling (remember this is other sports not social)
I love hurling! Great sport. Doesn't St. Louis have a team? I'm sure I've seen them take on the Milwaukee team before, although it's probably amateur players.
-
TimeForGuinness
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 20007
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm
Re: Hurling (remember this is other sports not social)
Yeah, they have a league here in St. Louis.Richie Allen wrote:I love hurling! Great sport. Doesn't St. Louis have a team? I'm sure I've seen them take on the Milwaukee team before, although it's probably amateur players.

