Edmonds heading to San Diego

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
User avatar
Hungary Jack
Mother Earth
Posts: 19536
Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
Location: In Cognito

Re: Edmonds heading to San Diego

Post by Hungary Jack »

Anyone notice JEd's career .665 OPS at Petco? The sample size is tiny (38 PA), but I think he'll really struggle there.

User avatar
UK
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4263
Joined: December 10 06, 6:41 pm
Location: Baseball Purgatory.

Re: Edmonds heading to San Diego

Post by UK »

haltz wrote:
UK seems to think he would crack our top ten as is.
I can promise this is not a good way to judge value.
I think he can be a .275-.285 hitter, 15HRs, with a good approach at the plate with him being the best defensive 3B in the Cali League, he can prob. stick there defensively. He does seem too content with going gap and gap rather than getting out in front and trying to pull it for power.

User avatar
BW23
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12896
Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm

Re: Edmonds heading to San Diego

Post by BW23 »

UK wrote:
EastonBlues22 wrote:
skmsw wrote: College or no college, I still don't like the idea of a 25 year old (april 28) who's yet to reach AA.
I'm not a fan either...but, I am slightly appeased by the fact that he's a local product.

Not because it's a "feel good" thing for the community, but because he's probably been heavily scouted by the organization. If you're going to trade for an old prospect, you better have seen him enough to be sure that he's legitimate.
Him being from the STL doesn't mean much, since he was 17 yo. the last time he was scouted locally and might not have been drafted out of HS (maybe he was considered a tough sign). I doubt as he progressed thru USA and the minors that he was scouted more by STL than any other team.

With Rolen's issues and the lack of position prospects (espec. 3B) as well as SD having good 3B ahead of him, it was an ideal fit.

I question how much value a declining, oft-injured, soon to be FA making 8mil has. I think it was a good trade for him, given I question whether or not, he has more value than that.
This probably kills my wish of them continuing to pursue DeWitt.

User avatar
keener98
Everyday Player
Posts: 194
Joined: June 2 07, 1:35 pm

Re: Edmonds heading to San Diego

Post by keener98 »

skmsw wrote:
Fat's post showing his line of decreasing production makes me feel a bit better about the deal.
IF HEALTHY, Edmonds is a player who models to age pretty well. A return to that 800-850 OPS is not entirely unrealistic.

He hasn't been healthy in a couple seasons, but his injuries are ones he would largely be expected to recover from.

This year, his walk rate was a little down, but his K rate much better -- no trends that suggest age-related decline, but one that suggests potentially not swinging the bat as aggressively. His GB:FB blend was at about career levels, his line drive rate a little below career levels but again, equally likely to be because he was hurt as because he's losing it. BABIP significantly below his norms, with no loss of ability to get the ball into the air.

He's something of a bounce-back candidate. Risk he won't? Absolutely. But in a year like 2008 on a team like this one, with only one year to go, the upside potential is probably worth more to me than the combination of what we got in the trade and relief from the risk he won't.
How can you say Edmonds body would age well? His body has taken a beating thoughout his entire career. At some point all the diving and such is going to catch up to you, and its caught up to Edmonds.

User avatar
UK
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4263
Joined: December 10 06, 6:41 pm
Location: Baseball Purgatory.

Re: Edmonds heading to San Diego

Post by UK »

BW23 wrote:
This probably kills my wish of them continuing to pursue DeWitt.
Dewitt was scouted alot more heavily than Freese coming out of HS, I'm sure by STL as well. If they want him, it takes two to tango.

Colbert Rasmols
All-Star
Posts: 1719
Joined: May 26 07, 10:11 am
Location: Formerly C2kSomething

Re: Edmonds heading to San Diego

Post by Colbert Rasmols »

Fat Strat wrote:Why doesn't it allow us to move on Silva now instead of settling for Colon?
I'd rather we "settle."

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
Posts: 28010
Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List

Re: Edmonds heading to San Diego

Post by Fat Strat »

I think he can be a .275-.285 hitter, 15HRs, with a good approach at the plate with him being the best defensive 3B in the Cali League, he can prob. stick there defensively. He does seem too content with going gap and gap rather than getting out in front and trying to pull it for power.
That's something that can be taught and learned as he continues progressing through the system. There's also something to be said for a player willing to go the other way. IF he can develop power the other way, then we have a serious hitter on our hands. I understand the pull argument you're making well enough, but the best hitters in the league have always been willing to use all fields.

The difference, I suppose, is the tools of the hitter involved and the potential of those tools. Albert is limiting his tools if he tries to pull everything. He can hit it out to RF. At the other end of the spectrum, I could see how Freese would be limiting his potential by not trying to pull more. As long as he doesn't get too pull happy and in the process turns him into a .240/.310/.470 hitter with 25 hr. potential (see Crede). I would take a .280/.350/.450/15 over that all the time.


Also, is your projection a ceiling or a likely career average? Also, are you assuming in that projection some improvement as a pull hitter or as he is now (with a normal progression through the minors) this is how he would do?

Lastly, I really appreciate you weighing in on this. Your insight is invaluable in discussions like this. At the end of the day, we really have no idea what we have in prospects like these unless guys like you weigh in on them for us.

User avatar
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Posts: 62307
Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II

Re: Edmonds heading to San Diego

Post by Radbird »

skmsw wrote:IF HEALTHY, Edmonds is a player who models to age pretty well. A return to that 800-850 OPS is not entirely unrealistic.
That being said, the primary concern that I have about his health is the post-concussion thing. You never know how or if someone is going to fully recover from a concussion. If he's fully recovered from that and physically healthy then I agree completely, Steve.
UK wrote:He's old b/c he spent 5 years at USA, not b/c he was stagnet in the minors. He's the 3 best hitter in the organization (sorry to Jay and Kozma), best defensive 3B, best hitting 3B, etc.
This makes me feel better (and I was feeling awful). Thanks, UK.

User avatar
UK
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4263
Joined: December 10 06, 6:41 pm
Location: Baseball Purgatory.

Re: Edmonds heading to San Diego

Post by UK »

Fat Strat wrote:
I think he can be a .275-.285 hitter, 15HRs, with a good approach at the plate with him being the best defensive 3B in the Cali League, he can prob. stick there defensively. He does seem too content with going gap and gap rather than getting out in front and trying to pull it for power.
That's something that can be taught and learned as he continues progressing through the system. There's also something to be said for a player willing to go the other way. IF he can develop power the other way, then we have a serious hitter on our hands. I understand the pull argument you're making well enough, but the best hitters in the league have always been willing to use all fields.

The difference, I suppose, is the tools of the hitter involved and the potential of those tools. Albert is limiting his tools if he tries to pull everything. He can hit it out to RF. At the other end of the spectrum, I could see how Freese would be limiting his potential by not trying to pull more. As long as he doesn't get too pull happy and in the process turns him into a .240/.310/.470 hitter with 25 hr. potential (see Crede). I would take a .280/.350/.450/15 over that all the time.


Also, is your projection a ceiling or a likely career average? Also, are you assuming in that projection some improvement as a pull hitter or as he is now (with a normal progression through the minors) this is how he would do?

Lastly, I really appreciate you weighing in on this. Your insight is invaluable in discussions like this. At the end of the day, we really have no idea what we have in prospects like these unless guys like you weigh in on them for us.
That's probably between an. avg year and his ceiling, so I'd call that a good year. That's before you factor the fact he's not turning on the ball. I think his ceiling could be .290 20Hrs, while right now, he'd probably hit .250-.260 with 10Hrs if he went to the majors.

His ceiling is that of avg. 3B.

User avatar
GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11923
Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
Location: GatewaySnaykebird

Re: Edmonds heading to San Diego

Post by GatewaySnayke »

If the Cardinals wanted to save money, do I even need to bring up the fact that they paid:

*$8.5 million to a guy with a fake hip
*$3.5 million to a 40 y/o middle reliever
*$6.5 million to a starting pitcher who has stunk for the past three years and allowed 11 home runs in 66 innings
*$3 million to a utility infielder that can't hit. Period.

Penny smart, dollar dumb. But now that they have saved about $7 million, what will they do with their newfound wealth? Grab the next Chris Lambert in the draft? Bring Esteban Loaiza in? So many possibilities. The Edmonds trade has opened up the door to so many great things in 2008.

Locked