Favorite Soda

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

Choose your Allegiance

Pepsi
13%
Coke
28%
Dr. Pepper
13%
Mt. Dew
16%
Root Beer
3%
Orange Soda
4%
Mr. Pibb
No votes
7up/Sprite/SierraMist
1%
Other
15%
Soda Sucks
6%

Total votes: 68

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Favorite Soda

Post by Popeye_Card »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
JoeyBombs wrote:Seriously, no one else calls it pop?

This makes me sad...I thought all midwesterners called it pop
The entirety of the midwest calls it pop, St. Louis is a bizarre aberration in this aspect.
And thank goodness. "Pop" is the dumbest sounding name for a carbonated beverage ever. It's like a 2-year-old described the sounds it makes.

maddash
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony

Post by maddash »

Arthur Dent wrote:
maddash wrote:It's a fairly classic case of having two nearly identical products and trying to convince the consumer that one is better than the other.
Wine?

/ducks
Sure, no doubt about it. But you're also savoring wine, and discovering and debating sublet flavor differences are part of the "wine culture". Half the enjoyment of wine is being a geek about it. Plus, wine is rarely ever advertised, let alone in a competitive way. Differentiating between nearly identical wine products is always internally driven, never externally (wine tasters/critics don't work for ad agencies).

I guess you could be a soda geek (and yeah, there are flavor difference between the two), but people almost never get that deep into basic food stuff. The difference between the two products is largely based on public image. Same for beer and potato chips, etc... You're selling a lifestyle associated with the product, rarely the product itself.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Combining two lines of thought here, Coke from Mexico is fantastic. I guess they use brown sugar instead of artificial stuff used in the states, and it is amazing.
It used to be made with sugar in the states, but it was changed in 80's to save money. This is due to the tariffs, quotas, and whatnot limiting sugar imports. You can thank the farm lobby which wants to turn everything into a corn product.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

When I first moved to the midwest when I was 6 years old, and heard someone calling it pop, I thought it was the stupidest thing ever.

And I still do.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Arthur Dent wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Combining two lines of thought here, Coke from Mexico is fantastic. I guess they use brown sugar instead of artificial stuff used in the states, and it is amazing.
It used to be made with sugar in the states, but it was changed in 80's to save money. This is due to the tariffs, quotas, and whatnot limiting sugar imports. You can thank the farm lobby which wants to turn everything into a corn product.
A guy I used to know would pay top dollar for S. American Coke.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

JL21 wrote:When I first moved to the midwest when I was 6 years old, and heard someone calling it pop, I thought it was the stupidest thing ever.

And I still do.
Soda is not a french word.

omaha_red
Hall Of Famer

Post by omaha_red »

jim wrote:
Arthur Dent wrote:
A guy I used to know would pay top dollar for S. American Coke.
jim jim jim.. i'd expect this kind of joke from leroy or wart.. but not from you..
come on.. you're better than that

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I don't know what they do at McDonald's, but cokes there always taste the best.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
JoeyBombs wrote:Seriously, no one else calls it pop?

This makes me sad...I thought all midwesterners called it pop
The entirety of the midwest calls it pop, St. Louis is a bizarre aberration in this aspect.
It looks like there's a good chunk of Wisconsin that calls it soda.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

I grew up calling it pop, but now I use soda. However it still comes out of the pop machine.