Favorite Soda

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

Choose your Allegiance

Pepsi
13%
Coke
28%
Dr. Pepper
13%
Mt. Dew
16%
Root Beer
3%
Orange Soda
4%
Mr. Pibb
No votes
7up/Sprite/SierraMist
1%
Other
15%
Soda Sucks
6%

Total votes: 68

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Re: Favorite Soda

Post by clevername »

Bama_Card_Fan wrote:OK, I'm from the South and every soft drink is called "Coke." Maybe it has something to do with the overwhelming popularity of Coca-Cola, which originated in Atlanta, kind of like a lot of older people used to call all refrigerators a "Frigidaire." It really does not make a lot of sense, but we still call it all "Coke." Now there is another option. A lot of southerners, mostly older ones in my experience, call soft drinks "cold drinks" (which when spoken, the word "cold" is emphasized and the two words are almost fused together into one), as in, "Let's go down to the store and get a colddrink."

As for my preferences, I like most soft drinks. In the cola family I prefer Pepsi (and yes they do taste different). I'll usually order a cola at restaurants if they don't have good sweet tea. But if I stop at a convenience store or something, I'll usually choose either a Mt. Dew, Orange, or Peach Soda. But then I also love Root Beer and Cream Soda (although it's not always easy to find Cream Soda, at least around here). I have to draw the line with diet drinks, though. The aftertaste kills it for me.
yep. We always used to make fun of folks who moved here when they called it "soda" or "pop". I still catch myself asking "what kind of cokes do you have" at restaurants. The soft drink term seems to have caught on more down here now, though. I still don't see or hear soda or pop much.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Places I have lived:

St. Louis - Soda
Dallas - Coke
Milwaukee - Soda
Houston - Coke
Endicott, NY - Pop (pronounced "pawp")
Boulder - Soda

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Post by ThatGuy »

I'm a big Mountain Dew fan - it was first marketed here in Knoxville. Too bad the university doesn't have some kind of deal to get free drinks for students…

Other than that, I love pretty much any orange soda (even Mountain Dew Livewire, which doesn't seem to be too popular), and I usually never refuse a Dr. Pepper. The problem with DP is that, whenever I drink one on an empty stomach, it's almost guaranteed that I'll get a headache later. Odd.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I grew up here in Indiana, never heard of "pop" unless it was part of "soda pop." In North Carolina, people said "Coke." Didn't hear "pop" until i went to Ohio State. Seems like all of Ohio says "pop."

I guess in Texas, it was soda, but I don't recall. I've always said that or "coke" since that's what I drink. I usually drink one a day.

Oh, and there's a very noticeable difference between Coke and Pepsi. Pepsi tastes sweeter. Just like GK said, Coke is more crisp. Has more bite and is just a little more bitter.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

Bama_Card_Fan wrote:OK, I'm from the South and every soft drink is called "Coke." Maybe it has something to do with the overwhelming popularity of Coca-Cola, which originated in Atlanta, kind of like a lot of older people used to call all refrigerators a "Frigidaire." It really does not make a lot of sense, but we still call it all "Coke."
It's a matter of brand recognition, just as acetaminophen is generally known as Tylenol, tissues are Kleenex, and the act of using a copy machine is Xeroxing.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

JL21 wrote:This brings up an interesting question.... do you prefer fountain, soda, or bottle?

I'm not down with fountain soda at all.
It depends on the mixture. If done right, it can't be beat.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

G. Keenan wrote:
pop_haines wrote:It surprises me that Coke is so dominant over Pepsi.

Don't these taste more or less the same?

Disclaimer: I do not own any stock in Pepsi Co.
Coke is crisper than Pepsi, if that makes any sense. It doesn't taste as sugary to me.
++

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

I always heard soda everywhere, except Coke in the South. I didn't hear pop until I moved to Oklahoma and it sounded corny as hell to me.

I don't drink soda hardly ever anymore, but: Coke in a glass bottle is far and away the best, followed by Cherry Coke and Ginger Ale.

Plus mixing alcohol with Coke is 1000X better than mixing with Pepsi.

clement
Perennial All-Star

Post by clement »

I picked Coke, narrowly edging root beer. Those are the only 2 I really like. Orange soda is okay sometimes, and 7-Up isn't too bad.