The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators
Posts: 11413
Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by Tambourine Man »

Jocephus wrote:gow2 looks great on mine

did you just get gears tam. man?
GOW1, yeah. I've got 2 but I wanna play the campaigns in order. Once I'm comfy with the controls (not yet), we need to get a group for Live.

User avatar
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
Posts: 28275
Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Location: Raptured

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

I can't believe I'm just now tapping into the PC to 360 capabilities of this thing. I've had it for a couple years now and just now networked them. It's awesome. Watching all of my downloaded movies and shows on tv is awesome.

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by haltz »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I can't believe I'm just now tapping into the PC to 360 capabilities of this thing. I've had it for a couple years now and just now networked them. It's awesome. Watching all of my downloaded movies and shows on tv is awesome.
Did you have any trouble with the video? I've got my whole song library playing just fine, but .avi files aren't working for some reason.

User avatar
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
Posts: 28275
Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Location: Raptured

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

haltz wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I can't believe I'm just now tapping into the PC to 360 capabilities of this thing. I've had it for a couple years now and just now networked them. It's awesome. Watching all of my downloaded movies and shows on tv is awesome.
Did you have any trouble with the video? I've got my whole song library playing just fine, but .avi files aren't working for some reason.
My .avi files work perfectly. I have to download a codec once in awhile, but taht's about it. Most of my videos are divx videos that I've gotten from streaming sites like ninja video, etc. I just go into my divx/temp file and change the file extension to .avi

Are the videos simply not playing, or are they not even showing up in your video library?

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by haltz »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
haltz wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I can't believe I'm just now tapping into the PC to 360 capabilities of this thing. I've had it for a couple years now and just now networked them. It's awesome. Watching all of my downloaded movies and shows on tv is awesome.
Did you have any trouble with the video? I've got my whole song library playing just fine, but .avi files aren't working for some reason.
My .avi files work perfectly. I have to download a codec once in awhile, but taht's about it. Most of my videos are divx videos that I've gotten from streaming sites like ninja video, etc. I just go into my divx/temp file and change the file extension to .avi

Are the videos simply not playing, or are they not even showing up in your video library?
They aren't even there. I do the exact same thing (media > video library instead of music library) and choose my PC and nothing shows up. All my mp3s are right there. EDIT: I figured it out.

User avatar
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
Posts: 28275
Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Location: Raptured

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

haltz wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
haltz wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I can't believe I'm just now tapping into the PC to 360 capabilities of this thing. I've had it for a couple years now and just now networked them. It's awesome. Watching all of my downloaded movies and shows on tv is awesome.
Did you have any trouble with the video? I've got my whole song library playing just fine, but .avi files aren't working for some reason.
My .avi files work perfectly. I have to download a codec once in awhile, but taht's about it. Most of my videos are divx videos that I've gotten from streaming sites like ninja video, etc. I just go into my divx/temp file and change the file extension to .avi

Are the videos simply not playing, or are they not even showing up in your video library?
They aren't even there. I do the exact same thing (media > video library instead of music library) and choose my PC and nothing shows up. All my mp3s are right there. EDIT: I figured it out.
Did you just add your video folders to your sharing list?

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by haltz »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
haltz wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
haltz wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I can't believe I'm just now tapping into the PC to 360 capabilities of this thing. I've had it for a couple years now and just now networked them. It's awesome. Watching all of my downloaded movies and shows on tv is awesome.
Did you have any trouble with the video? I've got my whole song library playing just fine, but .avi files aren't working for some reason.
My .avi files work perfectly. I have to download a codec once in awhile, but taht's about it. Most of my videos are divx videos that I've gotten from streaming sites like ninja video, etc. I just go into my divx/temp file and change the file extension to .avi

Are the videos simply not playing, or are they not even showing up in your video library?
They aren't even there. I do the exact same thing (media > video library instead of music library) and choose my PC and nothing shows up. All my mp3s are right there. EDIT: I figured it out.
Did you just add your video folders to your sharing list?
No, I had done all of that stuff, which is why it was frustrating. As I suspected, it was something as simple as putting my videos into My Videos instead of the folder I had them in, even though they were already added to WMP11. I'm only getting about a quarter of them to show up and play, so right now I'm trying this TVersity thing that someone mentioned on another site to see if that helps.

EDIT: And that definitely worked. All my videos are playing. Looking forward to midget amputee porn on the TV screen.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Michael, how is the Netflix feature? From the rumors I've been reading about, Sony won't go with Netflix. They want to focus on their own digital download service through the Sony store on the PS3...but I hear rumors that they might be striking a deal with Blockbuster.

It's a big "meh" from me (on Blockbuster)...I'd rather have Netflix.

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by Michael »

TimeForGuinness wrote:Michael, how is the Netflix feature? From the rumors I've been reading about, Sony won't go with Netflix. They want to focus on their own digital download service through the Sony store on the PS3...but I hear rumors that they might be striking a deal with Blockbuster.

It's a big "meh" from me (on Blockbuster)...I'd rather have Netflix.

I really like it, but the if you are interested in new release you'll be disappointed. The combination of streaming and the dvd mailings is awesome. I had blockbuster and canceled it. I don't regret that decision.


BTW, I got my ps3... the hardware is really well designed but the system really boring compared to XLE. What's with the orchestral start-up music, nasty brown/orange background and bland interface? In my opinion, for gaming there's no question the 360 is more fun.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Michael wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:Michael, how is the Netflix feature? From the rumors I've been reading about, Sony won't go with Netflix. They want to focus on their own digital download service through the Sony store on the PS3...but I hear rumors that they might be striking a deal with Blockbuster.

It's a big "meh" from me (on Blockbuster)...I'd rather have Netflix.

I really like it, but the if you are interested in new release you'll be disappointed. The combination of streaming and the dvd mailings is awesome. I had blockbuster and canceled it. I don't regret that decision.


BTW, I got my ps3... the hardware is really well designed but the system really boring compared to XLE. What's with the orchestral start-up music, nasty brown/orange background and bland interface? In my opinion, for gaming there's no question the 360 is more fun.
It isn't bad...and the nasty brown/orange background changes color depending on the time of day...my guess is that you started it up after work? It will turn to a blue/black once the sun goes down. Go to the playstation store and download some new skins for your background...I've found some nice ones in there.

As for the boring part, I agree...but I think that lately they have been releasing a lot of newer features with their firmware updates. (browser updates, trophies, Playstation Store, Home (the Beta went live last night...it's ok...needs work), etc). The hardware is solid, but the software/interface is boring and needs work/more features.

Post Reply