The Video Game Thread
- Tambourine Man
- accepts no jimitators
- Posts: 11413
- Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
- Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy
Re: The Video Game Thread
I'm up in the air about the whole RPG genre. Fable 2 was great but I've tried to get into Mass Effect (great reviews) for the past couple of nights and am absolutely hating it. After reading a bit I see that it's made by the same developer that made KOTOR, which I really hated too. I'm interested in Oblivion and Fallout 3 but am apprehensive to pick either one up at this point.
- PujolJunkie
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 10370
- Joined: March 22 07, 4:54 pm
- Location: north county, stl
- Contact:
Re: The Video Game Thread
Fallout 3 is so vastly different than Fable and Mass Effect. You wouldn't regret gettinf FO3Tambourine Man wrote:I'm up in the air about the whole RPG genre. Fable 2 was great but I've tried to get into Mass Effect (great reviews) for the past couple of nights and am absolutely hating it. After reading a bit I see that it's made by the same developer that made KOTOR, which I really hated too. I'm interested in Oblivion and Fallout 3 but am apprehensive to pick either one up at this point.
- Tambourine Man
- accepts no jimitators
- Posts: 11413
- Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
- Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy
Re: The Video Game Thread
It's that hefty price tag that's scaring me away. I'd hate to drop $50 on a game I could potentially dislike within a few hours. Mass Effect just feels like I wander around talking to goofy aliens and then there's a boring fight.
- TheoSqua
- Next Gen Wart
- Posts: 8950
- Joined: April 22 06, 6:53 pm
- Location: St. Louis
- Contact:
Re: The Video Game Thread
See, i didn't really like Fable 1, but loved KOTR and Mass Effect.Tambourine Man wrote:It's that hefty price tag that's scaring me away. I'd hate to drop $50 on a game I could potentially dislike within a few hours. Mass Effect just feels like I wander around talking to goofy aliens and then there's a boring fight.
-
Michael
- GRB Founder
- Posts: 35303
- Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
Re: The Video Game Thread
Tambourine Man wrote:I'm up in the air about the whole RPG genre. Fable 2 was great but I've tried to get into Mass Effect (great reviews) for the past couple of nights and am absolutely hating it. After reading a bit I see that it's made by the same developer that made KOTOR, which I really hated too. I'm interested in Oblivion and Fallout 3 but am apprehensive to pick either one up at this point.
I loved Fable 2, but I hated ME. I'm looking to buy Fallout 3 once I find a decent sale. I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime buy Crackdown to tide you over.
- ghostrunner
- GOAT
- Posts: 30843
- Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Re: The Video Game Thread
I'd have been okay with it if the different planets and bunkers hadn't all been so alike. Oh, and the slow freaking elevators (which I realize is the game loading.)Tambourine Man wrote:It's that hefty price tag that's scaring me away. I'd hate to drop $50 on a game I could potentially dislike within a few hours. Mass Effect just feels like I wander around talking to goofy aliens and then there's a boring fight.
Also - why did I have to find the map every time I wanted to travel? That should just be something you call up with the back button.I guess there's just way more running around than seems necessary.
- Tambourine Man
- accepts no jimitators
- Posts: 11413
- Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
- Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy
Re: The Video Game Thread
Yeah, all that damn running around gets old. Another gripe is all the dialogue when you talk to some character, which is probably something many people like but I find annoying. Just gimme a choice and get on with it.ghostrunner wrote:I'd have been okay with it if the different planets and bunkers hadn't all been so alike. Oh, and the slow freaking elevators (which I realize is the game loading.)Tambourine Man wrote:It's that hefty price tag that's scaring me away. I'd hate to drop $50 on a game I could potentially dislike within a few hours. Mass Effect just feels like I wander around talking to goofy aliens and then there's a boring fight.
Also - why did I have to find the map every time I wanted to travel? That should just be something you call up with the back button.I guess there's just way more running around than seems necessary.
Michael, mos def let me know how you like Fallout 3. I'm grabbing something this weekend, but I'm not really sure what yet. I still need to check out Civilization Revolution too.
-
Michael
- GRB Founder
- Posts: 35303
- Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
Re: The Video Game Thread
Oh man, play Civilization Revolution. That game delivers the goods.
- PujolJunkie
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 10370
- Joined: March 22 07, 4:54 pm
- Location: north county, stl
- Contact:
Re: The Video Game Thread
I loved the PC game. I heard the console version was actually really short.Michael wrote:Oh man, play Civilization Revolution. That game delivers the goods.
-
Michael
- GRB Founder
- Posts: 35303
- Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
Re: The Video Game Thread
PujolJunkie wrote:I loved the PC game. I heard the console version was actually really short.Michael wrote:Oh man, play Civilization Revolution. That game delivers the goods.
Its made for console oriented players. Games are faster and they rock and roll more. Some civ fan thought it was a bastardization, but I think it was a refreshing twist on an old concept.

