UPDATE: Cards Acquire Holliday, page 26

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
fanforever
Retired

Re: UPDATE: Cards Acquire Holliday, page 26

Post by fanforever »

Matt Holliday appears at a news conference Friday, July 24, 2009, in Philadelphia, after it was announced that he had been traded from the Oakland Athletics to the St. Louis Cardinals for a package of prospects.

Matt Holliday appears at a news conference Friday, July 24, 2009, in Philadelphia, after it was announced that he had been traded from the Oakland Athletics to the St. Louis Cardinals for a package of prospects. (AP Photo/Tom Mihalek)

Matt Holliday appears at a news conference Friday, July 24, 2009, in Philadelphia, after it was announced that he had been traded from the Oakland Athletics to the St. Louis Cardinals for a package of prospects. (AP Photo/Tom Mihalek)

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

I just want to play baseball, can I leave now?

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

He looks good. I'll go with the stached photoshop version for a bit though.

Welcome aboard, Matt.

EastonBlues22
Perennial All-Star

Post by EastonBlues22 »

Disclaimer: I haven't read this thread outside of the few pages detailing the trade pieces...I worked this morning and we're packing to move right now so time is too precious to get away with reading 40+ pages of stuff.

Personally, I like the trade. I'm slightly disappointed (relatively speaking) in that we weren't able to work out something for Halladay, but this was the second best piece available for this year and what we gave up was reasonable. I like that we were able to spin Wallace (a prospect with a good deal of potential, but who was also looking to give back a decent amount of his value defensively due to the Card's MLB roster situation) into a (reasonably aged) very good two way player that clearly upgrades the lineup while playing a position of current need. I also like how the front office has spotted an opportunity that has arisen this year (with the Cubs playing well below their potential, etc.) where we seem to have a pretty decent shot at the playoffs, but where we could still greatly benefit from a few additional wins, and they went out and actively pursued multiple reasonable and significant opportunities (while even mixing in a trash-for-trash swap that makes sense). Combine that with the first round of the draft and some of our recent prospect work in the Dominican, and I've been really impressed with the front office so far this year from a strategic standpoint.

I should also state that while I don't necessarily think he should be extended (even though I think he could be a good candidate to add to the competitive core depending on price/years/projected payroll), I do think that the team needs to at least offer him arbitration after this year. He's almost certainly worth what he would make, and letting him walk without recouping a pick or two would be a mistake.

Well, the front office has done just about everything it possibly could for this year...now it's time to hope for some health and decent performances down the stretch. It's going to be very interesting to watch how the FO follows up this performance in the offseason and into next season but there's no need to talk about that now. It's time to watch some baseball.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Dillagii wrote:YES!!!!! #11 baby!!
No, he's wearing #15 (oh, you mean title #11. I get it.)

Where the hell have you been???

C. Johny
Veteran Player

Post by C. Johny »

Radbird wrote:He looks good. I'll go with the stached photoshop version for a bit though.

Welcome aboard, Matt.
Yeah your avatar is kick ass.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

I haven't had avatars or signatures turned on for at least a year. I am turning them on tonight to see what you kids have come up with.

/preposition at the end, that's how I do.

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

St. Louis Cardinals' Matt Holliday waits for his turn during batting practice prior to the start of a baseball game with the Philadelphia Phillies, Friday, July 24, 2009, in Philadelphia.

St. Louis Cardinals' Ryan Franklin, left and Matt Holliday talk in the outfield during batting practice prior to the start of a baseball game with the Philadelphia Phillies, Friday, July 24, 2009, in Philadelphia.

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

Caption: Dude, that might work for you. But, no way am I growing one of those. I don't care what the initiation rituals are!

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

I like the deal. Holliday, Rasmus, Ludwick across the OF would be great. I just worry about the regularity with which we will see that.