Language and etc.

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Language and etc.

Post by Jmodene »

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, but it seems to me that we're getting way out of line in our use of profanity and scatalogical references in the threads lately. I'm getting a little tired, reading game threads, of seeing such pearls of wisdom as "(expletive) you Schumaker", etc.

I think we need to remember that kids do visit this site and we need to really watch what we're saying.

And lest one wants to argue that these things are being said in the heat of the moment - well, if we were really speaking in real-time, perhaps - but these utterances are being *typed* out.

A little discretion, please.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Re: Language and etc.

Post by st.lewis11 »

Jmodene wrote:I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, but it seems to me that we're getting way out of line in our use of profanity and scatalogical references in the threads lately. I'm getting a little tired, reading game threads, of seeing such pearls of wisdom as "(expletive) you Schumaker", etc.

I think we need to remember that kids do visit this site and we need to really watch what we're saying.

And lest one wants to argue that these things are being said in the heat of the moment - well, if we were really speaking in real-time, perhaps - but these utterances are being *typed* out.

A little discretion, please.
I've been guilty of this, jmodene, and your point is well taken.....my apologies.

ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Post by ThatGuy »

Eh, I'm ambivalent.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Et means and

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

when I was little, I didn't know what expletive meant... at least we're not using !, 1, $ as letter substitutes to make cuss words

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

There's over 1000 members here and to my knowledge there is one that is under 18. Actually two...I forgot PJ. Maybe the cursing gets out of hand at times but there is a filter and all that can be read is "expletive" which shouldn't be offensive at all.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

cardsfansince82 wrote:There's over 1000 members here and to my knowledge there is one that is under 18. Actually two...I forgot PJ. Maybe the cursing gets out of hand at times but there is a filter and all that can be read is "expletive" which shouldn't be offensive at all.

"(expletive) you Schumaker" seems pretty offensive to me, in pretty much any context.

I'm pretty much with Jmodene. I don't see the point.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

I've been more guilty of this than usual, so my apologies to those offended.

I'm happy to be in a playoff race and I've getting a little more energized in game threads lately.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

I've been guilty of using expletives, but I do think it's going too far a lot of the time when it's directed at people rather than events.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

I would just like to take this opportunity to point out that cussing has gone way up since the implementation of the language filter.