Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
User avatar
Swingingbunt
All-Star
Posts: 2904
Joined: April 4 08, 9:49 am
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by Swingingbunt »

fanforever wrote:
holliday's 8th year vests at $17 mil if he finishes in the top 10 in MVP voting in the 7th year. #cardinals, #kingofthewinter 15 minutes ago from web
SI_JonHeyman
Ya, I'm fine with that.

User avatar
Swingingbunt
All-Star
Posts: 2904
Joined: April 4 08, 9:49 am
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by Swingingbunt »

Keith Law weighs in...
But given the lack of another clear bidder for Holliday's services -- you'll have to forgive me if I put the Mystery Team in the same category as the Tooth Fairy and the homunculus -- it's even more impressive for Holliday and his agent, Scott Boras, to get this kind of annual salary.
FWIW, I see where he's coming from in the long term...but I don't see him saying anything bad if NY/BOS had signed Holliday.

User avatar
cpebbles
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8829
Joined: August 30 07, 12:28 pm

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by cpebbles »

Keith Law got canned and branded an idiot by the guy who gave Vernon Wells 7 years, $126 million.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

All these pundits can kiss my ass.

This is a good deal by most advanced metrics if i am not mistaken. The Cardinals aren't a team with unlimited payroll. If they have to give out more years than other teams to get the deal done then so be it. no other bidders blah blah blah. Look at what Boras did with Beltre. One year and they'll re-test the market next year. The Cardinals don't have multiple opportunities like this and they have to be opportunistic when they do. No other bidder only means that they can set the market. If they go too low, it's not like Boras won't do a one year deal and re-test next year. Also, see Weaver, Jeff.

The Cardinals got a great deal imo.

User avatar
Swingingbunt
All-Star
Posts: 2904
Joined: April 4 08, 9:49 am
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by Swingingbunt »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:The Cardinals got a great deal imo.
If there is no opt out, I agree.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by jim »

I love the Mo, I love Holliday, I love the Cardinals. This is just so freaking awesome.

Now Mo, go get somebody else! What would it take to get Tejada to play 3B for us?

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming
Posts: 12083
Joined: June 9 06, 3:51 pm

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by phins »

If Holliday's deal is labeled poor, then surely these pundits will be ballistic over how bad Bay's deal is.

User avatar
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Posts: 62330
Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by Radbird »

Thanks again, Rocks!
Image

User avatar
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
Posts: 28275
Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Location: Raptured

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

whiterat24 wrote:I love the Mo, I love Holliday, I love the Cardinals. This is just so freaking awesome.

Now Mo, go get somebody else! What would it take to get Tejada to play 3B for us?
Multiple front office brain aneurysms.

User avatar
Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8064
Joined: January 9 08, 5:30 pm

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by Felix The Cat »

Radbird wrote:Nice headline pic on foxsports.com - "Working Holliday". Don't know how long it will be up, but it won't let me post the image.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb
Image

Locked