Page 2 of 3

Todd Walker Breaks Leg, Will Be Destroyed

Posted: March 26 07, 8:53 pm
by Hungary Jack
He's a good hitter, but cannot play defense. They really should put him down.

Posted: March 27 07, 12:34 am
by Phyrkrakr
cabby7588 wrote:I think the Cards should be interested. He's a good hitter.
So's Edgar Gonzalez. EVG < Walker < Miles defensively. Gonzalez = Walker > Miles offensively. And Gonzalez doesn't cost us anything but a roster spot/less than half a mill, while Walker would presumably cost more than half a mill.

Posted: March 27 07, 12:36 am
by Transmogrified Tiger
Phyrkrakr wrote:
cabby7588 wrote:I think the Cards should be interested. He's a good hitter.
So's Edgar Gonzalez. EVG < Walker < Miles defensively. Gonzalez = Walker > Miles offensively. And Gonzalez doesn't cost us anything but a roster spot/less than half a mill, while Walker would presumably cost more than half a mill.
This Edgar Gonzalez? I don't know how you can say he's even close to Walker's equal offensively.

Posted: March 27 07, 12:42 am
by thrill
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Phyrkrakr wrote:
cabby7588 wrote:I think the Cards should be interested. He's a good hitter.
So's Edgar Gonzalez. EVG < Walker < Miles defensively. Gonzalez = Walker > Miles offensively. And Gonzalez doesn't cost us anything but a roster spot/less than half a mill, while Walker would presumably cost more than half a mill.
This Edgar Gonzalez? I don't know how you can say he's even close to Walker's equal offensively.
Last year, in Albuquerque, in 143 at-bats, he had a line of .392/.473/.580/1.053, so he is obviously far superior to Todd Walker.

Posted: March 27 07, 12:49 am
by picasso
I'd take Walker because this team is lacking in hitting. I'd find a position later.

This team is currently deficient in hitters IMO.

Posted: March 27 07, 1:04 am
by Phyrkrakr
thrill wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Phyrkrakr wrote:
cabby7588 wrote:I think the Cards should be interested. He's a good hitter.
So's Edgar Gonzalez. EVG < Walker < Miles defensively. Gonzalez = Walker > Miles offensively. And Gonzalez doesn't cost us anything but a roster spot/less than half a mill, while Walker would presumably cost more than half a mill.
This Edgar Gonzalez? I don't know how you can say he's even close to Walker's equal offensively.
Last year, in Albuquerque, in 143 at-bats, he had a line of .392/.473/.580/1.053, so he is obviously far superior to Todd Walker.
I'm slightly intoxicated, but I still detect a note of sarcasm. FWIW, EVG has never really gotten a major league shot because his defense is so mind numbingly bad. Maybe I'm just prejudiced against Walker because of his former association with the Cubs...

Anyway, I'd still pass on the guy because he's well below average defensively at second, and has played exactly one game at short in his career. If we needed a second base/third base backup, who can also play some outfield, Scott Spiezio is the man. I just don't see the attraction for a guy who's struck out more than he's walked by about 150 times in his career.

And his name's Walker, for chrissakes. How does he not draw walks?

Posted: March 27 07, 1:13 am
by haltz
Todd Walker would be much more intriguing if he hit right-handed.

I really wish E Gonzalez could play some defense. I think TLR said that if he had a better glove he'd already be a big leaguer, which sounds about right of course. He's definitely picked up where he left off last year, this spring with the bat.

Posted: March 27 07, 1:20 am
by Phyrkrakr
haltz wrote:Todd Walker would be much more intriguing if he hit right-handed.

I really wish E Gonzalez could play some defense. I think TLR said that if he had a better glove he'd already be a big leaguer, which sounds about right of course. He's definitely picked up where he left off last year, this spring with the bat.
Call him up for a bench spot and let the secret weapon work his magic. Oquendo already turned a mediocre at best middle infielder into a quality player at short, in Eckstein. There was an article I read about Jose working with EVG, but I've lost track of the link, plus I don't think Oquendo made any real strides with him so far.

Posted: March 27 07, 1:35 am
by haltz
Phyrkrakr wrote:
haltz wrote:Todd Walker would be much more intriguing if he hit right-handed.

I really wish E Gonzalez could play some defense. I think TLR said that if he had a better glove he'd already be a big leaguer, which sounds about right of course. He's definitely picked up where he left off last year, this spring with the bat.
Call him up for a bench spot and let the secret weapon work his magic. Oquendo already turned a mediocre at best middle infielder into a quality player at short, in Eckstein. There was an article I read about Jose working with EVG, but I've lost track of the link, plus I don't think Oquendo made any real strides with him so far.
I am pretty sure that Eckstein was only underrated when he came to St. Louis. His UZR numbers were terrific from 2000-2003.

EVG is an interesting case, regardless of defense I feel like he'd be an upgrade over Miles (a ringing endorsement!), especially considering platoon purposes. But, then again, I don't really know how bad he is on defense. I hope to see him with the big club soon, while practically meaningless, his spring OPS of 1.139 has certainly been impressive.

Posted: April 1 07, 3:33 pm
by Jmodene
Walker was signed yesterday to a minor-league contract by Oakland.

Presumably, he'll wind up as a platoon DH with Mike Piazza.