Life After Keisler
- ZigZagCardsFan
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 5526
- Joined: July 29 06, 6:26 pm
He may not bring anything in a trade, but that doesn't mean a club won't pick him up for free. He's shown, though briefly this season, that he's been able to sustain success.
Suppose he comes up and pitches well for a game or two, there's no way Tony would keep him up here when Carp comes back. Suppose nobody wanted to trade for him, we obviously wouldn't want to lose him for nothing through waivers.
Why not bring up somebody who we could option down without losing them through waivers?
Suppose he comes up and pitches well for a game or two, there's no way Tony would keep him up here when Carp comes back. Suppose nobody wanted to trade for him, we obviously wouldn't want to lose him for nothing through waivers.
Why not bring up somebody who we could option down without losing them through waivers?
- haltz
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22630
- Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
- Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
That's what I took from HJ's "if surgery becomes the plan" for Carpenter. If it's a spot start or two then I'd much rather have Thompson, or Cate or whoever throw.ZigZagCardsFan wrote:He may not bring anything in a trade, but that doesn't mean a club won't pick him up for free. He's shown, though briefly this season, that he's been able to sustain success.
Suppose he comes up and pitches well for a game or two, there's no way Tony would keep him up here when Carp comes back. Suppose nobody wanted to trade for him, we obviously wouldn't want to lose him for nothing through waivers.
Why not bring up somebody who we could option down without losing them through waivers?
- ZigZagCardsFan
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 5526
- Joined: July 29 06, 6:26 pm
- Jmodene
- Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song
- Posts: 15528
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:54 pm
- Location: Las Vegas, NV
Well, if Narveson comes up and pitches well, then when Carpenter comes back we can always send Reyes down. 
Seriously, though, I really think the Cards want to give Narveson as much of a full year at AAA as possible; remember, he only pitched in 15 games last year at Memphis (after 3 games at Palm Beach) for a total of just 97 innings.
Besides, as I mentioned either here or elsewhere, he's currently scheduled to pitch this weekend after having pitched this past Monday; holding him off until Tuesday means he'd be going on long (seven days) rest and might knock him out of his rhythm.
Today's Memphis pitcher, whose turn it *would* be on Tuesday, though, is Hawksworth - and he's not even close to ready.
We'll see. If Carp has that good bullpen session on Saturday and wakes up pain-free on Sunday, then I expect him to be activated for Tuesday's game. If not, then either Thompson gets the start or Cate gets called up.
The ironic thing, of course, about Keisler is despite his results, we've won 2 of his 3 starts.
Seriously, though, I really think the Cards want to give Narveson as much of a full year at AAA as possible; remember, he only pitched in 15 games last year at Memphis (after 3 games at Palm Beach) for a total of just 97 innings.
Besides, as I mentioned either here or elsewhere, he's currently scheduled to pitch this weekend after having pitched this past Monday; holding him off until Tuesday means he'd be going on long (seven days) rest and might knock him out of his rhythm.
Today's Memphis pitcher, whose turn it *would* be on Tuesday, though, is Hawksworth - and he's not even close to ready.
We'll see. If Carp has that good bullpen session on Saturday and wakes up pain-free on Sunday, then I expect him to be activated for Tuesday's game. If not, then either Thompson gets the start or Cate gets called up.
The ironic thing, of course, about Keisler is despite his results, we've won 2 of his 3 starts.
- Hungary Jack
- Mother Earth
- Posts: 19536
- Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
- Location: In Cognito
It's a bit strange that Narvy is out of options considering he has appeared in all of 5 MLB games for a total of 9.1 innings. But I digress.
If the brass thinks he can improve and be an effective major leaguer (not the concensus at the end of ST), then obviously it's not worth exposing him to waivers. Keep him in Memphis until September.
But if Narvy has reached his cieling at the age of 25, I think it makes more sense to try him as a replacement for Carp (assuming it's necessary) because 1) it might actually work (can it be worse than Keisler?); and 2) he doesn't add any value to the franchise taking up space in Memphis if he's not going to get any better. Give it try, see what happens. If it doesn't work, what do you lose?
I realize I am beating a dead horse here, but what's the point in keeping Narvy around if he cannot contribute at the major league level?
If the brass thinks he can improve and be an effective major leaguer (not the concensus at the end of ST), then obviously it's not worth exposing him to waivers. Keep him in Memphis until September.
But if Narvy has reached his cieling at the age of 25, I think it makes more sense to try him as a replacement for Carp (assuming it's necessary) because 1) it might actually work (can it be worse than Keisler?); and 2) he doesn't add any value to the franchise taking up space in Memphis if he's not going to get any better. Give it try, see what happens. If it doesn't work, what do you lose?
I realize I am beating a dead horse here, but what's the point in keeping Narvy around if he cannot contribute at the major league level?
- Hungary Jack
- Mother Earth
- Posts: 19536
- Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
- Location: In Cognito
-
cardfaninfla
- Everyday Player
- Posts: 239
- Joined: December 13 06, 5:56 pm
He threw 97 innings last year. I don't think they know if he has reached his potential. They certainly weren't going to find that out by keeping him on teh big club as a situaitonal lefty. I believe they want to see Narveson throw 140 to 170 innings. To do that he needs to be at AAA. They kept guys like Cate, Ginter, and Kieser to be the spare, call up starters.Hungary Jack wrote:It's a bit strange that Narvy is out of options considering he has appeared in all of 5 MLB games for a total of 9.1 innings. But I digress.
If the brass thinks he can improve and be an effective major leaguer (not the concensus at the end of ST), then obviously it's not worth exposing him to waivers. Keep him in Memphis until September.
But if Narvy has reached his cieling at the age of 25, I think it makes more sense to try him as a replacement for Carp (assuming it's necessary) because 1) it might actually work (can it be worse than Keisler?); and 2) he doesn't add any value to the franchise taking up space in Memphis if he's not going to get any better. Give it try, see what happens. If it doesn't work, what do you lose?
I realize I am beating a dead horse here, but what's the point in keeping Narvy around if he cannot contribute at the major league level?
- Hungary Jack
- Mother Earth
- Posts: 19536
- Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
- Location: In Cognito
If true about the innings, then the brass apparently has some hope that Narvy can improve.cardfaninfla wrote:He threw 97 innings last year. I don't think they know if he has reached his potential. They certainly weren't going to find that out by keeping him on teh big club as a situaitonal lefty. I believe they want to see Narveson throw 140 to 170 innings. To do that he needs to be at AAA. They kept guys like Cate, Ginter, and Kieser to be the spare, call up starters.Hungary Jack wrote:It's a bit strange that Narvy is out of options considering he has appeared in all of 5 MLB games for a total of 9.1 innings. But I digress.
If the brass thinks he can improve and be an effective major leaguer (not the concensus at the end of ST), then obviously it's not worth exposing him to waivers. Keep him in Memphis until September.
But if Narvy has reached his cieling at the age of 25, I think it makes more sense to try him as a replacement for Carp (assuming it's necessary) because 1) it might actually work (can it be worse than Keisler?); and 2) he doesn't add any value to the franchise taking up space in Memphis if he's not going to get any better. Give it try, see what happens. If it doesn't work, what do you lose?
I realize I am beating a dead horse here, but what's the point in keeping Narvy around if he cannot contribute at the major league level?
I guess Ginter might be the guy who gets the call if Keisler is out and Carp isn't ready.
-
Leeyat
- All-Star
- Posts: 1287
- Joined: August 10 06, 7:57 am
- Location: Taipei, Taiwan



