Pitching stat

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
User avatar
Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8770
Joined: April 14 06, 9:50 pm

Re: Pitching stat

Post by Bo Hart »

Izzyman wrote:I have always wanted to envent a pitching statistic that took into account both IP and ERA to try and see the overall value of a pitcher and I think I have a pretty good idea. You would multiply IP by the amount over or under the league average the pitchers ERA was. For example if a pitcher pitched 200 innings and had an ERA .25 below the league average his score would be 200 X .25= 50. If a reliever went 60 IP and 1.00 plus his score would be 6o.
Are there any stats that are very similar to this that I'm forgeting? If not what do you think?
You can view VORP for pitchers and for hitters.

One reason I really like VORP is because if factors in position (so if you play a typically light-hitting, fielding-only spot, it makes you look better) and also stolen bases (which people complain about being forgotten).

User avatar
Asmodai
Veteran Player
Posts: 1121
Joined: February 9 07, 7:37 pm

Post by Asmodai »

actually i take that back, i think they use fair ra not fair era at bp these days.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Post by jim »

Mephistopheles wrote:
jim wrote:Like longhorn said, you pretty much described VORP.

The fairly uncommon stat that I've always thought should gain more acceptance is, shoot I can't remember the name!

But it goes like this, say your starter pitches 6 innings and gives up 1 earned run. He loads the bases to start the 7th, and is relieved. The reliever performs acrobatics and gets out without a run.

Traditionally you would charge the starter 1 ER in 6 IP, with this stat you would charge him about 3.4 ER in 6IP. You take the expected amount of runs allowed in a situation (about 2.4 with the bases loaded and 0 outs) and charge that to the guy who put them on. The reliever gets charged -2.4 runs, because he actually allowed 0 of those to come in. So you could actually have a negative value for this stat.

Anyone know what this is called?
fair era.
That's it. Thanks!

Izzyman
Everyday Player
Posts: 208
Joined: August 21 06, 4:22 pm
Location: MO.

Re: Pitching stat

Post by Izzyman »

Kyle wrote:
Izzyman wrote:I have always wanted to envent a pitching statistic that took into account both IP and ERA to try and see the overall value of a pitcher and I think I have a pretty good idea. You would multiply IP by the amount over or under the league average the pitchers ERA was. For example if a pitcher pitched 200 innings and had an ERA .25 below the league average his score would be 200 X .25= 50. If a reliever went 60 IP and 1.00 plus his score would be 6o.
Are there any stats that are very similar to this that I'm forgeting? If not what do you think?
You can view VORP for pitchers and for hitters.

One reason I really like VORP is because if factors in position (so if you play a typically light-hitting, fielding-only spot, it makes you look better) and also stolen bases (which people complain about being forgotten).
Thanks! How about Looper at no. 3.

Post Reply