Jason Marquis

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
User avatar
Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 7458
Joined: December 22 06, 1:06 am

Post by Richie Allen »

I don't think Marquis will be either the 6.02 ERA pitcher he was last year or the 3.71 pitcher he was back in 2004. I suspect he'll be somewhere from his career average ERA in the mid 4s to somewhere in the low 5s. I totally understand all of the hatred for him but I think his ineffectiveness has been a bit exaggerated. He put in over 600 innings for us in 3 years and the majority of them were serviceable.

Yes, he's a stubborn pain in the ass. No, at age 28, it does not appear that he's going to ever be a top of the rotation guy. But he's far from the worst pitcher in the majors. But like most of you, I'm glad he's gone. The Cubs can have him. We should have beat him tonight. Reyes pitched better but when the ball is always up in the strike zone it's just a matter of time before one ends up in the seats.

User avatar
GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11923
Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
Location: GatewaySnaykebird

Post by GatewaySnayke »

Jason Marquis always got off to good starts.

This year should be no different.

DynamicDynamite
Veteran Player
Posts: 806
Joined: December 11 06, 9:23 pm

Post by DynamicDynamite »

its not a shock to me... Id love to have seen the Cards give him a beating, but he usually always gets off to good starts...

and then when the season wears on and gets warmer then the sinker starts to flatten and his 88-90 mph fastball starts to look a lot more hittable, and like has been said his breaking ball is nowhere near what it was even a year ago..

last week he went out and did great cause the Cards still weren't hitting.. now they are starting to do better but he still didn't do to much... I'll check in on him in a month or so when the winds are consistently acting like they did last Sunday and then we can see what he is doing...

if only he were on the Jeff Weaver plan then we could all have a good laugh..

User avatar
bronx_bird
All-Star
Posts: 1965
Joined: April 30 06, 6:39 pm
Location: 988.53 miles from Busch Stadium

Post by bronx_bird »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:I completely expect him to suck when all is said and done.
I expect Marquis and Bennett to get into a fist fight.
That would make my decade.

Post Reply