Page 2 of 4

Posted: May 27 07, 12:35 am
by lazypenguin
JohnnyJay wrote:All I have to say is, that Liddell fell back on a weak right hand (that he should have defended) and the ref called it on two punches and an elbow? Granted, Chuck didn't defend on after the elbow (his arms went to the mat), but geezus, this is the main event.
The ref has to call it if someone is defenseless on the ground and being attacked (especially to the face). That was the case.

Posted: May 27 07, 12:36 am
by JohnnyJay
lazypenguin wrote:Liddell was just caught off guard. He left his face wide open and then was defenseless on the ground once he fell so the ref HAD to call it, it's the rule. If he could have protected his face on the ground faster than he probably would have stayed in the fight. Oh well, he's given the fans a ton of good fights. We knew both of these guys were going to go for the KO so a long fight wasn't expect. Title matches are 5 rounds of 5 minutes but never come even close to that long. Normal ones are 3 rounds of 5 minutes, so the fights aren't really expected to be long. I'm glad I didn't buy it, but that's just cause PPV is a ripoff. You still get the earlier fights and KO was expected in this fight, Liddell rarely goes down to the ground to grapple.
Yes.

The ref did his job. But this is the main event. Be easy on the trigger johnny.

Posted: May 27 07, 12:38 am
by lazypenguin
JohnnyJay wrote:
lazypenguin wrote:Liddell was just caught off guard. He left his face wide open and then was defenseless on the ground once he fell so the ref HAD to call it, it's the rule. If he could have protected his face on the ground faster than he probably would have stayed in the fight. Oh well, he's given the fans a ton of good fights. We knew both of these guys were going to go for the KO so a long fight wasn't expect. Title matches are 5 rounds of 5 minutes but never come even close to that long. Normal ones are 3 rounds of 5 minutes, so the fights aren't really expected to be long. I'm glad I didn't buy it, but that's just cause PPV is a ripoff. You still get the earlier fights and KO was expected in this fight, Liddell rarely goes down to the ground to grapple.
Yes.

The ref did his job. But this is the main event. Be easy on the trigger johnny.
I agree, but he really had to. If Liddell stays defenseless and gets beat senseless, it's on the ref.

It wasn't the best fight, yes, but don't forget the UFC gives championship bouts pretty quick and there will be a new one soon. (this isn't boxing :D) Let's not forget all the great fights in the past. Not everyone can be amazing. Liddell just got caught sleeping.

Posted: May 27 07, 12:46 am
by JohnnyJay
lazypenguin wrote:
JohnnyJay wrote:
lazypenguin wrote:Liddell was just caught off guard. He left his face wide open and then was defenseless on the ground once he fell so the ref HAD to call it, it's the rule. If he could have protected his face on the ground faster than he probably would have stayed in the fight. Oh well, he's given the fans a ton of good fights. We knew both of these guys were going to go for the KO so a long fight wasn't expect. Title matches are 5 rounds of 5 minutes but never come even close to that long. Normal ones are 3 rounds of 5 minutes, so the fights aren't really expected to be long. I'm glad I didn't buy it, but that's just cause PPV is a ripoff. You still get the earlier fights and KO was expected in this fight, Liddell rarely goes down to the ground to grapple.
Yes.

The ref did his job. But this is the main event. Be easy on the trigger johnny.
I agree, but he really had to. If Liddell stays defenseless and gets beat senseless, it's on the ref.

It wasn't the best fight, yes, but don't forget the UFC gives championship bouts pretty quick and there will be a new one soon. (this isn't boxing :D) Let's not forget all the great fights in the past. Not everyone can be amazing. Liddell just got caught sleeping.
yeah

And on a side note....the guy born in East St. Louis was a beast....I was very impressed. He man handled his guy.

Posted: May 27 07, 3:12 am
by thrill
cabby7588 wrote:That's bad for the sport, too. It was getting really popular and this was their huge fight. NOT an entertaining fight for the fans.
That is potentially the worst thing. UFC really needed Chuck to dominate because he is the one fighter who has a chance to transcend the sport and take it mainstream. He is the guy making cameos on entourage and getting movie deals. Nobody gives a crap about Quentin Jackson. Most of his fights have been in Japan.

Posted: May 27 07, 9:47 am
by Tambourine Man
I was glad to see Chuck get his ass handed to him. As for calling the fight early, did anyone notice Chuck taliking to his trainers immediately afterwards? He clearly mouthed, "What happened?" Weak punch, I think not.

Posted: May 27 07, 9:54 am
by Capt_Morgan

Posted: May 27 07, 9:06 pm
by JohnnyJay
Tambourine Man wrote:I was glad to see Chuck get his ass handed to him. As for calling the fight early, did anyone notice Chuck taliking to his trainers immediately afterwards? He clearly mouthed, "What happened?" Weak punch, I think not.
Weak punch...I think yes. It was a defensive punch. Liddell started to get inside and the punch was a weak defensive punch to back Chuck off.

9 times out of 10 that punch doesn't land. This one did, and landed in the perfect spot.

Posted: May 27 07, 10:09 pm
by StL Dan
Modern day boxing sucks.

This is just another episode that supports that conclusion.

Posted: May 27 07, 10:26 pm
by vinsanity
StL Dan wrote:Modern day boxing sucks.
This is just another episode that supports that conclusion.
UFC isn't boxing. But just because you don't enjoy the sport doesn't mean someone else doesn't. I happen to quite enjoy modern day boxing. I think there's a lot more finesse in it (look at Mayweather) and I like watching them work jabs and find some holes for a few hooks. Or work the body, or work the ring.

I enjoyed watching the De La Hoya Mayweather fight, and would like to order more fights if I can get 6-10 people to throw down with me. I'd also like to learn a little bit about UFC too.